Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 08:17 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Is the idea that people with dual citizenship could prefer a country other than the US that far-fetched?
Nope. After all, it wasn't long ago that the Europeans considered the US "second class" and New York a 2nd tier city...and even in WW2 the brits considered Canadians 2nd raters due to "breeding".

Arrogance abounds across all cultures and nations. China's just in the process and has the added benefit of gross racism by standards that would make the US blush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 08:20 PM

17,543 posts, read 17,485,812 times
Seems China doesn’t allow for dual citizenship so officially none of these foreign born athletes can legally have a dual citizenship with China. How much does their Chinese native parent play in their decision and also brings up questions about their parent’s loyalties. Is their loyalty to their Chinese heritage or to the Chinese Communist Government? This is a valid question since some of these athletes will be attending US universities. With recent events exposing Chinese nationals attending US universities shown to be members of the Chinese military and or spies having a Chinese loyal of mixed parentage attending American university could become another method of spying.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:28 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times
Not seeing the big deal. There are a number of athletes from the U.S. who have played sports for their parents’ country.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 468,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not seeing the big deal. There are a number of athletes from the U.S. who have played sports for their parents’ country.
And the opposite as well...

Old 02-07-2022, 08:32 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
And the opposite as well...
Indeed.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:35 PM

17,543 posts, read 17,485,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
In many cases these athletes could not make the US team and so used their dual citizenship to compete for the country one of their parents was born in. It’s not so common for an athlete expected to medal at the Olympics to compete against the nation where they were born, hold citizenship to, and trained in. Usually when such situations happen it’s an athlete who managed to escape an strict communist/dictatorship nation. In this case these athletes are choosing to represent the oppressive communist Chinese government known for putting people in re-education camps, using prisoners for harvesting organs, and using prison camps as slave labor.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:44 PM

8,942 posts, read 11,732,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Are the ChiComs paying big bucks, threatening relatives in China or both?

We are not talking about losers going to play for another country. These are top level athletes. Hu even gave up her US citizenship (I don't know about the others)

My feelings are both, money and threats.
Are you talking about the skater? The Chinese are lynching her on the internet for her poor performance. The CCP does not see the Olympics as just sports for athletes. To the CCP the Olympics are political tools. The athletes who don't perform well bring shame to China. I don't watch so I don't really care who is playing for which country.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:11 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,922,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Are you talking about the skater? The Chinese are lynching her on the internet for her poor performance. The CCP does not see the Olympics as just sports for athletes. To the CCP the Olympics are political tools. The athletes who don't perform well bring shame to China. I don't watch so I don't really care who is playing for which country.

I saw a lot of people here on C-D, as well as other forms of social media, trash talking Simone Biles last summer when she had her troubles in Tokyo. Amazing how many Americans who will scream "COMMUNISM" when the idea of a social safety net for the USA will all of a sudden fall in love with the communist mentality when it comes to the approach to sports, where an athlete "owes" the country a gold medal. They wanted her to continue the competition and risk serious injury, which was a common practice in the old Iron Curtain countries, which resulted in serious injuries for many athletes, including one gymnast who wound up a quadriplegic right before the Moscow Games in 1980.

Never mind the fact that she was a 2nd-time Olympian with 4 golds, 1 bronze under her belt from 2016, and over 20 world championship medals, the most decorated gymnast of all time in that competition. She had nothing to prove to anybody.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:25 PM

17,428 posts, read 13,200,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Is the idea that people with dual citizenship could prefer a country other than the US that far-fetched?

Eileen Gu (not Hu, my bad) https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/07/china...hnk/index.html

Not dual citizenship. She gave up her US citizenship. I find it disgusting

They gave up on their own team and Gu won Gold for China tonight

Old 02-07-2022, 09:29 PM

17,428 posts, read 13,200,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
My feelings are America is on the decline. The culture is toxic all over, and has been heading that way since the mid 90s. Our Govt is inept on purpose, which means someone some group is trying to ruin us probably for their own gain. Sports is becoming politicized with all the Trans competing and ruining the experience for everyone else, and its being allowed by the powers that be.

Our freedoms are being eroded like with anti 2A, anti-BDS legislation, etc etc

Who can blame these athletes for seeing the writing on the wall?

Good for them. If I could pack up and leave, Id too.

And CHINA is better????????????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies