Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 11:59 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,593,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It's a loophole that the US doesn't seem to want to fix.....so blame these women? Try fixing it if you don't want them to come.
It’s a net positive for US economy if these wealthy Chinese nationals have USC children.

They make their $millions$ in China from corruption and cheating the Chinese government. It’s a lot easier to transfer their wealth to the US using their USC children if they know they are about to get busted and send to the gulag by the Chinese government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 12:07 PM

1,874 posts, read 649,757 times
Quote:
So they want to play or perform for their ethnic motherland...so what? Plenty of other americans also gave up their citizenships to support their old countries.
The question is: Why?

You cannot casually dismiss the question with the answer 'Her choice'.

Yes, it is her choice. But what has China done FOR her? The only tie Eileen Gu have with China is ancestral genetics which I also have. If Gu felt something for China and felt strongly enough to betray her birth country, the US, then it behoove you and the rest of us to take that betrayal equally serious.

Quote:
And plenty of non-americans come and play for the US. Why are you making such a big deal about it? It's a personal choice and no, nobody is threatening anyone's family member. Don't eat up fox news like it's the new bible....
The question is: Why? Why did they moved? What can the US do FOR them or possibly what HAVE the US do for them that prompted them to move? Do not think that their countrymen do not approve of their moving to the US.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:16 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Eileen Gu (not Hu, my bad) https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/07/china...hnk/index.html

Not dual citizenship. She gave up her US citizenship. I find it disgusting

They gave up on their own team and Gu won Gold for China tonight
I'm completely fine with this. After all, that's one of the freedoms that we enjoy in the US.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:44 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
America has a long and documented history of genocide against Native People but we still have people who want to come here.....
Yeah, "history" being the operative word here as opposed to "present tense," as in, happening RIGHT NOW.

Quote:
Eileen Gu clearly has a lot going for her. She can continue doing her sport and also model and do many many other things. The sky's the limit at this point for her in China. She will be adored by 1.4 billion people and the entire might of a second largest economy (soon to be first) will be behind her.
Sure she will -- as long as she sticks to the program and remains a useful device for the glorifying the State and the CCP. But if she deviates from the script, maybe she'll get to hang out in the same hidey-hole as Peng Shuai and get trotted out into public view every once in a while so everyone can pantomime like everything's just fine and the global power brokers can resume raking in all those yuan with the tissue-thin veneer of clean hands and a clean conscience. That is, if she chooses to live there instead of here where she'd still be afforded the beneficial protection from such treatment by the nation whose citizenship she evidently renounced to become a Chinese citizen.

Quote:
I think she made a very smart and financially extremely profitable decision choosing China over the US. Smart and talented girl! She stated that she felt a deep connection to China and the culture. She has been a Chinese national since 2019. Well, she will be amply rewarded. I don't think she cares what the US distractors are saying about her. She's a superstar now and will be a very rich one soon.
^^ And this right here sums up the amoral ethos of today's global economy almost as tidily as Nike CEO John Donoghue declaring "Nike is a brand of China, for China." That said, I expect to see that kind of detached calculation from a middle-aged industrialist whose literal job is to maximize value for his shareholders while pushing the legal and ethical limits of global commerce. To see that sort of cynicism from an 18-year-old girl is heartbreaking -- not just for her, but as an analogy of our nation's failure to defend and explain the blessings of liberty to our progeny so that those blessings might endure for future generations.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:10 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Are the ChiComs paying big bucks, threatening relatives in China or both?

We are not talking about losers going to play for another country. These are top level athletes. Hu even gave up her US citizenship (I don't know about the others)

My feelings are both, money and threats.
Like I said many times in this forum, America is a land for all the opportunists. They are here to take take take, not give.

I bet people like her won't fight for this country if there is a war going on. She is mixed just like me, but my loyalty belongs to the U.S. always and forever.

This said, I am glad that she gave up on her citizenship. Say ya! At least she is not shameless

Old 02-08-2022, 01:15 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Yes, it is her choice. But what has China done FOR her? The only tie Eileen Gu have with China is ancestral genetics which I also have. If Gu felt something for China and felt strongly enough to betray her birth country, the US, then it behoove you and the rest of us to take that betrayal equally serious.
well, As a mixed girl, i can only share my own experiences.

Many people like me have strong desire to find their true identity. I am glad that i have. My true identity is an American woman, that is it and i am damned proud to be an American. But many just like me are ashamed of our mixed heritage. They either hate their white half, or they hate their other half. I am not saying all mixed people are like that, but many are.

I have a feeling that this woman (whatever her name is) has found her true Chinese self in China. I speak fluent Mandarin, so I read a lot about her in Chinese on Chinese social media. I don't think money or threat has anything to do with it, I think it is more about her identity. How does she view herself, that sort of thing.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:25 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I think a lot of people posting to this thread would be surprised to find out that a number of American athletes will establish dual citizenship in order to compete at the olympics for a smaller country.

Some of it is that they might be top 10 in the world but in a sport where that isn't good enough to make the US team if it's a powerhouse sport for us.

Kenyan marathoners often run for other countries because they have 10+ runners that could win the gold medal.

Here is a source of track and field athletes that have changed country of representation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ries_in_Europe

Old 02-08-2022, 01:27 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Eileen Gu (not Hu, my bad) https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/07/china...hnk/index.html

Not dual citizenship. She gave up her US citizenship. I find it disgusting

They gave up on their own team and Gu won Gold for China tonight
Do you find it disgusting that Vladi Divac or Yao Ming came to play for the NBA?

It's basically an individual doing what's best for them. It's the root of capitalism. I think you only dislike it when it goes the other way.

I kinda wondered why too, but I think the person that said they get more support, or a better chance to be a big fish in a little pond (as it were) was probably right.

Me, I don't care that much. I think America is the greatest country on earth, and I'm not going to waiver on that because China recruited a speed skater or snowboarder. It's sad that people put the worth of our nation on such trivial things.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:27 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
The question is: Why?

You cannot casually dismiss the question with the answer 'Her choice'.

The question is: is this a single incident or a trend?

To ask why is assuming there is a reason for others to it as well. If it's a trend then it goes beyond just sports. What about the scientists, businessmen and talents in all other areas? How many with high tech training have gone "back" to China, that we don't know about? Wouldn't that be more traitorous than sports?

This line of thinking is calling into question the loyalty of all people of Chinese descent, similar to the reasoning for the Japanese internment camps. If the loyalty of US born Americans of Asian ancestry is questioned, that would include you.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:33 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Are the ChiComs paying big bucks, threatening relatives in China or both?

We are not talking about losers going to play for another country. These are top level athletes. Hu even gave up her US citizenship (I don't know about the others)

My feelings are both, money and threats.
The USA Wokeness religion says America is the beginning of all evil (Satan in the Garden of Eden the world was before America) so why would anyone want to represent the USA? I wouldn't and now pull for Russia and China, they are showing better governance than we are by far.

Democrat Wokesters have killed any moral authority America had in the past...Go Russia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies