Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 09:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times

Advertisements

Morgan Wallen is probably the best SURVIVOR of cancel culture along with Duck Dynasty (which ended on its own terms) and Chick fil A, though CFA has indeed gone more liberal in recent years.

The thing is what gets you on the cancel culture list continues to expand. Back in the day, it was only opposing the gay lifestyle that got the liberals to try to cancel you. Now support for Trump, support for the Canadian truckers, flying a Confederate flag (liberals don't get to define what it means and if you're not from the South you don't know anything), not totally agreeing with BLM and CRT all can get you on the naughty list!

Old 03-24-2022, 11:12 AM

53 posts, read 91,710 times
I have a niece who has been writing for home and garden magazines for years. She's been an editor for Southern Living Magazine, Women's Wear Daily, Birmingham Home and Garden, etc. We were just talking about this an agreed that the South is probably the most despised area of the US. I would have expected this many years ago but not today.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:40 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Elvis "the pelvis" Pressly.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:44 PM

4,658 posts, read 1,949,932 times
going on long before any of these things. Heck the first thing that comes to mind for me is the Temperance movement to get rid of Alcohol and I would bet there are more throat history which some history buffs would be aware of.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:42 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
Dixie Chicks weren’t cancelled. There were people who were offended by their behavior and boycotted them, but they were never cancelled or prevented from making a living. Big difference.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:57 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
Showing my age here, but I remember when CBS canceled the popular "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" because of their anti-Vietnam and political rhetoric (not the reason they gave for the cancelation, of course).

Back in the early 90's, a few local fundamentalist religious residents sent out a petition every year to ban my daughter's elementary school from holding their annual Halloween Parade. The high school marching band played, and the kids marched around the school in their costumes. Oh, the horror. They tried to abolish the neighborhood trick or treating as well. To no avail.

Also, in our area of Pennsylvania in the late 1970's and early 80's, when the Sunday "Blue Laws" started to become ignored and abolished, there was a list of businesses that consumers were encouraged to boycott because they started to open on Sundays.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:44 AM

1,601 posts, read 866,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The Dixie Chicks never got cancelled. They were never forbidden to post on Facebook, Snapchat, to talk about their views on TV, in their concerts etc.

A lot of people simply stopped buying tickets to their concerts, and kept pointing out what repellent views the Dixie Chicks had. If the Dixie Chicks were "unable to reply" to what people said about them (since what people said was correct), that wasn't because anyone else had "cancelled" them. It was because what the Dixie Chicks were doing and saying, was indefensible.

And whose fault was that?

Excellent point. Their entire audience, for the most part, turned on them. It wasn't their record company that forced them into obscurity.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:56 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
I remember Congressional Committees created to cancel certain rap groups in the late-80’s and early-90’s for being “profane.” They wanted to cancel 2 Live Crew, NWA, Ice-T, and more than a few others.

The Focus-on-the-Family types also had problems with the Simpsons, violent video games (apparently they were the reason for school shootings) Marilyn Manson and other heavy metal acts (going all the way back to Black Sabbath.)

So-called “cancel culture” has always existed in one form or another.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:40 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,389,660 times
The first example of cancel culture?

The crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies