Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 08:27 AM

4,297 posts, read 1,555,415 times

Advertisements

It was a new respiratory virus, I think masks were always going to be a first port of call. I'll wait for peer-reviewed papers on their effectiveness.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:34 AM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
It was a new respiratory virus, I think masks were always going to be a first port of call. I'll wait for peer-reviewed papers on their effectiveness.
Yeah, there are dozens that predate the politicization of the pandemic by liberals in March/April 2020. All of those peer-reviewed studies came to the same conclusion: masking the general public was not indicated because whatever minimal mitigation benefit there was did not outweigh the substantial costs.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:41 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
N95 masks were not a waste of time. It is the cloth masks that many wore as a fashion statement that was a waste of time. They don't filter out the virus.
Even a n95 is only rated up to 30 minutes, indoors, in a high viral environment (like hospital).

Old 02-08-2022, 08:51 AM

6,374 posts, read 2,705,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://unherd.com/2022/02/were-masks-a-waste-of-time/

The answer to the question "Were masks a waste of time?" is OBVIOUSLY "Yes." I do not accept us simply moving on from masks though. More is required: It's time for the mask cultists to admit they were wrong, apologize for what they've done, and beg forgiveness from all the people they have intentionally harmed by supporting the mask mania.

Forced masking needs to go the way of prohibition. It should never happen again and those who supported it should be embarrassed about that. They also need to be punished politically. Never again should these people be in charge of anything, much less have power to force people to play stupid virtue signaling games at the expense of personal liberty and medical freedom.
The forced masking not only was a waste of time it is now becoming apparent that it may actually be more detrimental. Especially when you look at the forced masking of school kids, and having emotional and learning issues starting to be observed.

This is not to say that wearing a mask in certain situations, or for people with certain health conditions was a waste of time But that is something each individual should have decided for themselves.

As for apologies, I think you have a better chance of getting an ice cube in he** than getting the true Covidians to admit anything close to masks being a waste of time. In fact, thanks to MSM and the Government, there has probably been more unrepairable harm done to personal relations because of this. I have one relative who has told several members of our extended family that they will never attend another family function if the ones who challenged her on some of her "science" about Covid and masks. She doesn't want to forgive or move on. All over a piece of cloth...

Old 02-08-2022, 08:55 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,072 times
no, it gave the right something to rally around

Old 02-08-2022, 09:40 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,656,125 times
From an engineering point of view the mask are useful if you are infected. The moisture droplets are more easily caught in the cloth mask when coughing, talking, or sneezing. If you’re u aren’t infected then a mask, most likely work improperly, will do little to nothing since the virus is small enough to pass through the mask as well as through all the gaps in the mask and your face. You’re better off practicing handwashing and keeping a distance from others.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
N95 masks were not a waste of time. It is the cloth masks that many wore as a fashion statement that was a waste of time. They don't filter out the virus.
Really, I bet doctors and nurses who have to wear masks and haven't gotten sick from covid would agree. The lockdowns of small businesses caused far more damage.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:58 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:

Nobody wore N95s, for a number of reasons.

Lack of availability, more expensive, uncomfortable etc.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:07 AM

1,154 posts, read 274,298 times
Yes. Unless you consider the psychological aspect of mask wearing. When people go out and encounter a sea of masked faces it sends the subliminal message that something is seriously wrong.
It was also divisive. How many fights have masks ignited? Get rid of them forever and hold those who enforced them on others accountable for human rights violations.

It was never about public health. It was about controlling the global population and it worked for too long.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:23 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Really, I bet doctors and nurses who have to wear masks and haven't gotten sick from covid would agree. The lockdowns of small businesses caused far more damage.
pretty much every HCW has gotten COVID and they often wear masks with cartridges, like a 3m 6200, which are far superior to even a n95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies