Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 03:23 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

The $30 million grant program, which closed applications Monday and will begin in May, will provide funds to nonprofits and local governments to help make drug use safer for addicts. Included in the grant, which is overseen by the Department of Health and Human Services, are funds for "smoking kits/supplies." A spokesman for the agency told the Washington Free Beacon that these kits will provide pipes for users to smoke crack cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, and "any illicit substance."

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/biden-ad...UVmfJZ0j8yImJo

https://freebeacon.com/biden-adminis...racial-equity/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 03:24 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Fact: Your government thinks these kinds of issues are just way more important than rapidly rising inflation, stagnant/falling wages, falling standard of living, etc.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:47 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Drug users won't disappear overnight, so giving them supplies to keep them safe, limit infections and try to convince people to smoke instead of injecting drugs because injections are reportedly riskier, is a good program.
The project doesn't cost that much - what is $30M really nowadays, especially compared to some of the really foolish spendings.
The money could be a good investment, even if only saves few lives and changes drug habits in small group of users.
I have no problem with that spending.
We all want to eliminate druggies and related crimes and homelessness, no?
Every little bit helps...

Old 02-08-2022, 03:49 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
When I first saw this I thought "It's gotta be the Bee."
Nope. I suppose that sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:51 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
Just legalize all drugs and let people buy how ever many drugs they want to kill themselves with.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:54 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Just another indicator of what our leftist government REALLY thinks of "poor blacks living in at risk communities." If they really gave a damn, do you think they would be supplying the means to rise above addiction, poverty, and illiteracy, or the means to insure its continuance?

Old 02-08-2022, 03:56 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Another Leftist social experiment. Gee, how many of those Leftist social experiment ever worked out?

Old 02-08-2022, 03:57 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Drug users won't disappear overnight, so giving them supplies to keep them safe, limit infections and try to convince people to smoke instead of injecting drugs because injections are reportedly riskier, is a good program.
Why exactly is it a good program? Why would I want to spend my money to save these people from their own self-inflicted problems?

Old 02-08-2022, 04:01 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterLoop View Post
So drug addiction is like a fire we've been trying to put out for decades.

Maybe the next best step is to control the said fire?

In other words, criminalization doesn't work. Other countries figured that out.
Providing safer options and trying to change habits from injecting to smoking is a first step to control the "said fire".
Similar program is about giving free single use sterile needles and syringes to drug users, because we all know how deadly sharing needles can be. It opened door to more screening, care, and treatment for viral hepatitis, HIV, STD, hepatitis A/B, wound and infection care and referrals to treatment programs. It has a life saving potential.
I happen to know about that - it's a line of my work.
So, yes - you won't see changes overnight, but every little step counts.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:05 PM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
That's not my problem. I'm addicted to ice cream. Should the taxpayers provide clean spoons and bowls for my ice cream addiction? After all, it is an addiction that can be deadly, long term.

Quote:
The project doesn't cost that much - what is $30M really nowadays, especially compared to some of the really foolish spendings.
30 million dollars isn't nothing. It's 30 million dollars.

We're 30 trillion dollars in debt, we don't have 30 million dollars to spare.

Quote:
The money could be a good investment, even if only saves few lives and changes drug habits in small group of users.
You can't subsidize bad behavior and expect it to produce good behavior. All it does is incentivize the bad behavior. And, it's not the Federal Government's problem.

Quote:
I have no problem with that spending.
I do. I have a big problem with my money being used to fund drug use.

Quote:
We all want to eliminate druggies and related crimes and homelessness, no?
You can't eliminate "druggies", no matter how many millions you throw at it. Using drugs was the "druggies" personal choice. Therefore, it's their own problem, not the taxpayers. Not to mention, the "druggie" has to be willing to seek help, on their own. Otherwise, nothing you do will help them.

Quote:
Every little bit helps...
This doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies