Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2022, 10:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Isn't freedom wonderful?

It's not like Eileen Gu is the first US citizen-athlete to choose to represent another nation in the Olympics. Nor is she the only US citizen competing for another country in Beijing.

Nor will she be the last to represent another country in international competition.

US law allows for dual citizenship. Are we no longer in favor of following the law?

The Olympic committee allows athletes with dual citizenship to choose which nation they wish to represent. Are we no longer in favor of personal freedoms?
Some of us have a problem with her representing the CCP and being part of the communist propaganda machine.

She may not see politics being a big deal, but the CCP surely lauds her as a shiny model defector from the evil USA. The CCP media clearly cheer the "fact" that she abandoned her American citizenship for the Chinese citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 11:13 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Gu is of Chinese ancestry, but her nationality WAS American being born and raised here. Regardless of her cultural pride, her national allegiance should have been to the United States
No one loves America. They're just here for the money. Stop being so dramatic.

I've always loved this video. Only the Chris Matthews part, not the other idiots.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...on_booths.html

It makes me a bit nostalgic for a time when, maybe I didn't love America, but I certainly didn't hate it. I at least thought she was worth defending. It makes me a bit sad that I'm so down on America these days.

https://youtu.be/-KoXt9pZLGM

https://youtu.be/wxiMrvDbq3s

Old 02-09-2022, 11:18 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's just OPs racism leaking through.

No comment about Carlos Mader, who is Swiss, representing Ghana because one of his parents is.
Or Shannon-Ogbnai Abeda who is Canadian, born in Alberta, representing Eritrea.
Or Samuel Ikpefan who is French representing his father's Nigeria.
Or Asa Miller, who was born in Portland OR, representing The Philippines, twice.
Or Nathan Crumpton who was born in Kenya, grew up in Australia and Virginia, went to Princeton, and represents American Samoa in the Summer and Winter olympics
Or Yohan Goncalves who is French representing East Timor.
Or Katie Tannenbaum who is from California and is representing US Virgin Islands, where she is a math professor.

The ONLY modern competitors who deserve scorn are New Yorkers Gary and Angelica Di Silverstri. In 2014 they were 47 and 48 and represented Dominica. They bought Dominican citizenship for $175,000. They created the Dominica Ski Federation. They then entered some low-level competitions and came in last in most of them, earning just enough points to qualify for the Olympics. It's not like there is any Nordic ski competition in Dominica. She didn't start her Olympic race, he dropped out before the first check point of his.
I'm not familiar with these specific cases, but it sounds like a bunch of people who reaped the advantages of growing up in First World, majority-white countries but have chosen to forsake them for Third World, non-white countries. To me, this smacks of blatant ingratitude on the part of the athletes' parts. But it also highlights a failing of First World, majority-white countries. We've somehow become ashamed of ourselves, always apologizing and blaming ourselves and denigrating our own cultures while elevating those of poorer, Third World places. I'd like to see us be proud of ourselves and what we are. And I'd like to see us enforce this on those who would come here. "We're Americans. This is who we are. This is what we believe. This is what we do. Agree with us and we'll welcome you with open arms. But otherwise, you can keep to your own countries." In other words, I'd like to see some more . . . NATIONALISM. There, I said it.

Oh, and in case anyone is thinking about putting words into my mouth, let me be clear. In no way am I saying that one must be white in order to be legally or morally or culturally American. Americans come in all shapes and sizes and colors. But so do American backstabbers.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:20 AM

6,671 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I've always loved this video. Only the Chris Matthews part, not the other idiots.
What happened to this guy? Does he still make the circuit? Seems like he'd have a lot to say theses days.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:30 AM

2,367 posts, read 909,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
She isn't "bound by her race", she's bound by her actions.

It's like you didn't even read the OP.
I did read the OP. Let me explain... I am saying that for some Asian Americans, they feel their actions are bound by their race. I think the OP is sad. I have sympathy for their struggles.

Notice the OP mentions the Chinese American "community". They don't want to bring "shame" to their community. They behave, don't make trouble, and go out of their way to prove their loyalty. Why? Why try so hard, with chest thumping "I'm a Loyal American!!" Because they think their loyalty is always being questioned.

I've seen a lot of Asian kids in Universities. The US-born Chinese Americans are the quietest. They don't speak up, they are afraid to look bad. Their parents received the most racial discriminations, been called names, been told to "go back to China". And so they carry the scar and fear.

The ones newly arrived from China are the most confident. They are not afraid to ask questions in class, loudly in a heavy accent. They don't care. That's because they did not grow up as a minority. They don't have to answer to the "community". They don't carry that heavy burden.

Maybe Eileen Gu just doesn't want to live as a minority anymore.

I would say to the OP, don't be so hard on yourself. You don't have to prove anything.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
The real problem is, the media makes Americans think China is so evil that any decent human being should condemn it.
However, people in China don't think that way at all. They love their country and basically support the government (in spite of some complaints). Eileen Gu traveled to China frequently and speaks fluent Chinese. She probably has the same mentality.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I did read the OP. Let me explain... I am saying that for some Asian Americans, they feel their actions are bound by their race. I think the OP is sad. I have sympathy for their struggles.

Notice the OP mentions the Chinese American "community". They don't want to bring "shame" to their community. They behave, don't make trouble, and go out of their way to prove their loyalty. Why? Why try so hard, with chest thumping "I'm a Loyal American!!" Because they think their loyalty is always being questioned.

I've seen a lot of Asian kids in Universities. The US-born Chinese Americans are the quietest. They don't speak up, they are afraid to look bad. Their parents received the most racial discriminations, been called names, been told to "go back to China". And so they carry the scar and fear.

The ones newly arrived from China are the most confident. They are not afraid to ask questions in class, loudly in a heavy accent. They don't care. That's because they did not grow up as a minority. They don't have to answer to the "community". They don't carry that heavy burden.

Maybe Eileen Gu just doesn't want to live as a minority anymore.

I would say to the OP, don't be so hard on yourself. You don't have to prove anything.
That's a very good point.
My cousin's son was born and grew up in the US. However, my cousin wants him to go to college in China (as an "international student"). He believes Chinese American males do better in China than in the US (not just for dating, but for career development).

A friend of mine (Chinese immigrant) even sent his son back to China to attend elementary school. He believes it is better for his character development that way.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
Yeah, and I fully support people’s right to rally against her. If she grew up in America she has no idea what it is like for the Chinese people. She has been spoon fed the leftists watered down version of what it means to live under a communist regime. Let her move and see how she likes it. My prediction is she would soon regret it. Once the Communists are done with her she will be cast aside.
Sure I support your right to do just that . But I do have a hard time believing high would find more than 2 people that care enough to attend a rally against her. There are barely any people watching figure skating and luge as it is.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:43 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The real problem is, the media makes Americans think China is so evil that any decent human being should condemn it.
However, people in China don't think that way at all. They love their country and basically support the government (in spite of some complaints). Eileen Gu traveled to China frequently and speaks fluent Chinese. She probably has the same mentality.
True. If they have an American-style fair election today, Xi would win 90% of the votes.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
True. If they have an American-style fair election today, Xi would win 90% of the votes.
Not necessarily. I know many people in China don't like Xi in private conversations, or at least don't prefer him.
However, they won't support any pro-west politician either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies