Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2022, 03:11 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yeah good for you. Nothing wrong with it.

I have a friend (a white guy) who used to be a special force guy in the Marine Corps. He went to China and taught Self-defense. He also had a manufacture there. He's a self made millionaire. There is nothing wrong with going to China for a great work opportunity.

He is in the U.S. now and if there is a war, he says he would go back to the Marine Corps and fight to death. That is an American to you. Work smart, and love his country!
He didn't give up his U.S. citizenship and become a Chinese citizen. He also started his own business, he didn't work for a Chinese government owned firm. Unlike USA Olympics which is totally sponsored by private and corporate donors, the Chinese Olympic Team is government funded and represents the Chinese government. The private endorsements Gu has all enrich her personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 03:15 PM

39,194 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
He didn't give up his U.S. citizenship and become a Chinese citizen. He also started his own business, he didn't work for a Chinese government owned firm. Unlike USA Olympics which is totally sponsored by private and corporate donors, the Chinese Olympic Team is government funded and represents the Chinese government. The private endorsements Gu has all enrich her personally.
well The point is that she represents her, not you.

Also, she has a strange looking face. A lots of full blooded asian women are way prettier, but this is another topic lol

I have no problems with her playing for china. That's her choice. There is no need to glorify or demonize her in my opinion.

She is good for Chinese government. In here, she is not much of a big deal.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 02-09-2022 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 03:27 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,122,593 times
Has anyone asked her why she chose to do it? Isn't she free to do whatever she wants? If I had to guess, I would say she did this for more of a heritage type of devotion. It was personal to her perhaps to represent her ancestry. Or perhaps she is close to relatives there who she wants to be part of the representation of their "team".

Either way, it's her thing & what she wants to do. Has absolutely no affect and/or impact on my life, and it shouldn't on anyone else's either.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:31 PM

33,298 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Elon Musk immigrated to the U.S. and became an American, switching his allegiance from South Africa to the U.S. Also Musk is a business owner, not a soldier or athlete.He owns a private corporation. A better comparison would be if someone from the U.S. goes to China and works for a state-owned enterprise there and uses their knowledge to benefit a state owned enterprise.

Historically there have been stereotypes about Asian Americans being disloyal to the United States, which was part of what caused the Japanese American interment during WW2. National loyalty is important because two countries will never have the same interests. I'm well aware that Asian Americans are not the only group where a small minority has not been loyal. Another example would be the small number of Irish Americans especially in Boston who supported the IRA against the UK, one of America's closest allies, and the fact the IRA was also supported by the Soviets and Libyans who were enemies of the USA. So yes of course there are white Americans who don't always have America's best interests at heart. All the "global citizens" and those who support helping illegals and refugees at our expense also don't have America's best interests at heart and many of them are white liberals.

The majority of his wealth comes from a publicly held private sector corporation that he founded and heads (after making money as part of other startups). Financial markets have catapulted Musk in to being the wealthiest person on the planet.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:37 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
nobody cares. There are many mixed asians out there. There are many mixed people all over the place. Not a big deal.
If she was quarter Chinese would she be competing for China? What about 1/8th? At what point does it become an absurdity?

She isn't really Chinese. Just another hapa whose daddy had yellow fever but wanted nothing to do with her. And a ruthless opportunistic mother who wants to cash in.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:45 PM

39,194 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If she was quarter Chinese would she be competing for China? What about 1/8th? At what point does it become an absurdity?

She isn't really Chinese. Just another hapa whose daddy had yellow fever but wanted nothing to do with her. And a ruthless opportunistic mother who wants to cash in.
Her dad wants nothing to do with her? I don't know that, but her family life is none of my business.

I thought her dad is Chinese, that's why her last name is gu.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:58 PM

13,676 posts, read 7,970,440 times
She renounced her citizenship likely based on the millions she can earn in China. If you are an American citizen and suddenly come upon wealth and renounce your citizenship you are still on the hook to pay taxes.

However, Gu renounced her citizenship before winning the Gold and perhaps before she signed any endorsement deals. My guess is she's free and clear of US taxes on money earned in China.

Gu was just another burgeoning American business looking for opportunity in a wide-open market.

In her native country, Gu was going to be a star for a week or two if she won a gold medal. With her model looks, her fluency in Mandarin and her ability to compel millions of Chinese viewers to care about the Olympics, there was no limit to the magnitude of what she could become or, perhaps more to the point, what products she could sell.

And she is everywhere here, appearing in ad campaigns for a gamut of companies ranging from the Bank of China to Louis Vuitton. She is also rehearsed and smart, a marketing machine who has been programmed to frame her choice as an opportunity to inspire winter sports passion in China while saying nothing that would offend the Chinese Communist Party.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ld/6701680001/

Old 02-09-2022, 04:01 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
You're acting like athletes competing for other countries is a new thing.

Quote:
Gus Kenworthy, a 30-year-old freestyle skier born in England but raised in Colorado, is competing in Beijing for Great Britain after representing Team USA in the 2014 and 2018 Olympics, switching allegiances in 2019, saying at the time he “wanted to do it for my mum,” an English native, admitting it would also give him a “smoother” path to qualify for the Olympics on the less competitive British team.

Louie Vito, a 33-year-old Ohio native known for his TV appearances on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars and MTV’s The Challenge, represented the U.S. in snowboarding for years—even rivaling top performers like Shaun White—before switching to the Italian national team this year in order to qualify for his first Olympics since 2010 and avoid the crowded U.S. field.

Jazmine Fenlator-Victorian, 29, who was born and raised in New Jersey and competed for the U.S. in bobsledding in 2014, has represented her father’s home country of Jamaica since 2018 with the goal of “open[ing] doors of discussion and action for other nations to take the plunge to participate," she told NorthJersey in 2018, and is set to compete in the Olympics’ new “monobob” event later this week.

Benjamin Alexander, a 38-year-old British native and former DJ, is set to become the first alpine skier to ever represent Jamaica when his events begin later this week, pointing to his father’s Jamaican nationality and the 1988 Jamaican bobsled team—the first Jamaicans to ever take part in the Winter Olympics—as inspirational reasons for his attempt.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/masonbi...h=57b87c3e2c15

Old 02-09-2022, 04:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
She renounced her citizenship which was likely a decision based on the millions she can earn in China. If you are an American citizen and suddenly come upon wealth and renounce your citizenship you are still on the hook to pay taxes.

However, Gu renounced her citizenship before winning the Gold and likely before she signed any endorsement deals. My guess is she's free and clear of US taxes on money earned in China.

Gu was just another burgeoning American business looking for opportunity in a wide-open market.

In her native country, Gu was going to be a star for a week or two if she won a gold medal. With her model looks, her fluency in Mandarin and her ability to compel millions of Chinese viewers to care about the Olympics, there was no limit to the magnitude of what she could become or, perhaps more to the point, what products she could sell.

And she is everywhere here, appearing in ad campaigns for a gamut of companies ranging from the Bank of China to Louis Vuitton. She is also rehearsed and smart, a marketing machine who has been programmed to frame her choice as an opportunity to inspire winter sports passion in China while saying nothing that would offend the Chinese Communist Party.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ld/6701680001/
She did not. LOL. You are fooled by the CCP media.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:05 PM

8,328 posts, read 2,958,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
I fly the American flag, the Confederate flag I'm politely asking: Don't you think the Confederate flag is in bad taste? Even Mississippi recently changed their state flag.

I will always support the U.S.... when in a trade war, a shooting war You do know about General Collin Powell and the vial of white powder he held up at the UN, right?
No. The confederate flag is not in bad taste. Unless you’ve jumped on the recent hate all things confederate frenzy bandwagon which I and many others haven’t.

If you don’t like it don’t fly it. You have the right to fly any flag you like and I shouldn’t criticize you for it. Now back to the original topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies