Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2022, 01:59 PM

170 posts, read 59,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post

You are feebly trying to use this issue to distract from the fact that Eileen Gu wanted to make money and not because she felt anything for China. That made Gu a civilian mercenary, in a manner of speaking.
i think $$ is just one of the reason. one of her early interview like 13 yrs, she said shes both chinese and america, and been struggle on which country to represent. so its not like she decide to represent china last year. also she does spend alot time in china, so that also had a alot influence over her. her mother probably another big reason, given her american dad was never there. she grow up with her mom and grandma, which both are chinese.
beside if she earn medal for US, she can also earn alot $$$, maybe not as much as she in china.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 02:50 PM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
i think $$ is just one of the reason. one of her early interview like 13 yrs, she said shes both chinese and america, and been struggle on which country to represent. so its not like she decide to represent china last year. also she does spend alot time in china, so that also had a alot influence over her. her mother probably another big reason, given her american dad was never there. she grow up with her mom and grandma, which both are chinese.
beside if she earn medal for US, she can also earn alot $$$, maybe not as much as she in china.
In a previous comment, I paraphrased what my mother said when we came to the US. That 'In your heart you can be Chinese (or JPNese or German or wherever you came from) but in your mind you must be American.'

Now, my mother does not have any formal college level education. But it is interesting that she observed the same thing that previous generations of immigrants said to their children after the whole family came to America to escape whatever conditions they were. I done my share of studying up on immigration to America to note that similarity. You do not have to abandon where you came from. But at least at the intellectual level, your allegiance should be to the land and the people that give you the foundation of your life.

When you DECIDE to immigrate/emigrate, you essentially made a declaration that your current situation no longer suits you or that 'the grass is greener on the other side of the fence', then you pack up and leave. Which is what Gu's mother said and did. If young Eileen had any confusion to her identity, whose fault is that? I am a first gen emigre. That mean I had to earn my citizenship. I had no confusion as to what I am and must be: American. It was a conscious decision. Growing up in Hawai'i, I chose to follow the path of the all Nisei 442nd and joined the USAF later. Yrs later on the mainland, I actually met two men of the unit. There were internal conflicts in each of them but in the end, they decided they were Americans. That their fellow JPNese-Americans were mistreated at the same time is for another discussion but still does not take away the fact that emigres are, or should be, morally compelled to take on the national identity of the country that sustains their lives.

How much of a difference if Eileen Gu make $10 millions as an American or $20 millions as a Chinese? We do not know how much she would earn if she had represented the US, and I restrict myself to only the arena of ideas in my criticisms of her. In terms of legality, I fully support her decision to make as much money as she deemed fit. But personally, I would take $0 to represent the US if I have any talent to exploit. The men of the 442nd gave, not take.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:52 PM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Do you honestly believe a unique opportunity to earn millions in endorsements wasn't the driving force behind her playing on team China? In 2019 she competed for the US in the World Cup, her teammates/coaches are here. Her friends she grew up and went to school are here.

She could be America’s next Olympic darling — a stunning 18-year-old skier who signed with Victoria’s Secret and plans to attend Stanford after she vies for gold in Beijing.

But Eileen Gu won’t be competing for the US.

Instead, in a move that’s baffled members of the American skiing community, San Francisco-born and -bred Gu has joined Team China. “I have decided to compete for China in the 2022 Winter Olympics,†Gu announced in a 2019 tweet, months after she earned her first World Cup win in Italy at 15.

“The opportunity to help inspire millions of young people where my mom was born, during the 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help promote the sport I love.â€

“It is not my place to judge, but Eileen is from California, not from China, and her decision [to ski for China] seems opportunistic,†said Jen Hudak, a former Winter X Games gold medalist for the USA women’s team. “I can’t speak to what Eileen’s Chinese heritage means to her and she has every right to do what she believes is best for her career...

But “she became the athlete she is because she grew up in the United States, where she had access to premier training grounds and coaching that, as a female, she might not have had in China,†Hudak told The Post. “I think she would be a different skier if she grew up in China.

“This makes me sad,†added Hudak, who retired in 2014 after knee injuries derailed her career. “It would be nice to see the medals going to America.â€

https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/olympi...ing-us-skiers/

I agree that Gu has every right to do what is best for her career. I also agree with Ms Hudak that Gu's decision to play for China seems opportunistic.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
In a previous comment, I paraphrased what my mother said when we came to the US. That 'In your heart you can be Chinese (or JPNese or German or wherever you came from) but in your mind you must be American.'

Now, my mother does not have any formal college level education. But it is interesting that she observed the same thing that previous generations of immigrants said to their children after the whole family came to America to escape whatever conditions they were. I done my share of studying up on immigration to America to note that similarity. You do not have to abandon where you came from. But at least at the intellectual level, your allegiance should be to the land and the people that give you the foundation of your life.

When you DECIDE to immigrate/emigrate, you essentially made a declaration that your current situation no longer suits you or that 'the grass is greener on the other side of the fence', then you pack up and leave. Which is what Gu's mother said and did. If young Eileen had any confusion to her identity, whose fault is that? I am a first gen emigre. That mean I had to earn my citizenship. I had no confusion as to what I am and must be: American. It was a conscious decision. Growing up in Hawai'i, I chose to follow the path of the all Nisei 442nd and joined the USAF later. Yrs later on the mainland, I actually met two men of the unit. There were internal conflicts in each of them but in the end, they decided they were Americans. That their fellow JPNese-Americans were mistreated at the same time is for another discussion but still does not take away the fact that emigres are, or should be, morally compelled to take on the national identity of the country that sustains their lives.

How much of a difference if Eileen Gu make $10 millions as an American or $20 millions as a Chinese? We do not know how much she would earn if she had represented the US, and I restrict myself to only the arena of ideas in my criticisms of her. In terms of legality, I fully support her decision to make as much money as she deemed fit. But personally, I would take $0 to represent the US if I have any talent to exploit. The men of the 442nd gave, not take.

well thats ur opinion, right, each one of us is different, there alot american have dual passport. and there are plenty olympians represent other countries other than their native country. your parents and other immigrant move to US to have better quality of life for them self and their family, and may want to fully integrate into US. Most immigrant move to US because the quality of life. so for Gu, she like both place, nothing wrong with that, ppl dont have to force one or the other, otherwise US wont allow dual citizens. we can't use our own standard to judge every one the same. also plenty immigrant work in US have green card, but never get the citizenship or have dual passport.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Do you honestly believe a unique opportunity to earn millions in endorsements wasn't the driving force behind her playing on team China? In 2019 she competed for the US in the World Cup, her teammates/coaches are here. Her friends she grew up and went to school are here.

She could be America’s next Olympic darling — a stunning 18-year-old skier who signed with Victoria’s Secret and plans to attend Stanford after she vies for gold in Beijing.

But Eileen Gu won’t be competing for the US.

Instead, in a move that’s baffled members of the American skiing community, San Francisco-born and -bred Gu has joined Team China. “I have decided to compete for China in the 2022 Winter Olympics,†Gu announced in a 2019 tweet, months after she earned her first World Cup win in Italy at 15.

“The opportunity to help inspire millions of young people where my mom was born, during the 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help promote the sport I love.â€

“It is not my place to judge, but Eileen is from California, not from China, and her decision [to ski for China] seems opportunistic,†said Jen Hudak, a former Winter X Games gold medalist for the USA women’s team. “I can’t speak to what Eileen’s Chinese heritage means to her and she has every right to do what she believes is best for her career...

But “she became the athlete she is because she grew up in the United States, where she had access to premier training grounds and coaching that, as a female, she might not have had in China,†Hudak told The Post. “I think she would be a different skier if she grew up in China.

“This makes me sad,†added Hudak, who retired in 2014 after knee injuries derailed her career. “It would be nice to see the medals going to America.â€

https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/olympi...ing-us-skiers/

I agree that Gu has every right to do what is best for her career. I also agree with Ms Hudak that Gu's decision to play for China seems opportunistic.
its one big reason but not necessarily the ONLY reason. i dont see it as black and white, for starter, she made decision around 13-14, i dont think she care much about $$ at that age. so mostly her mom decision.
she is from CA, but spend 1/3 or 1/4 of her life in china,. her mom & grandma, who raise her is chinese, her uncle etc etc live in china, and she travel there EVERY summer since 2yrs old. she is not like other ABC who pretty much grow up in US and can't speak chinese well.
also her american coach she had since 9 move to china and become chinese national team coach. furthermore her mom is upper class, and spend close to $1million to train her. drive her to lake tahoe EVERY weekend, thats 8 hr trip. she never train on US national team before, start train in both china and US around 13 or 14, and her mom pay for all the expense.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:31 PM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:
and there are plenty olympians represent other countries other than their native country.
People should stop bringing up this defense for Gu. This is about the US, not other countries. We can be sure that the peoples in those other countries criticize their athletes as well. Americans are not the only people who are patriotic.

Quote:
...Gu, she like both place, nothing wrong with that, ppl dont have to force one or the other,...
Force? Who is 'forcing' Gu to chose? Criticism is NOT force.

Quote:
we can't use our own standard to judge every one the same.
Yes, we do. If you ever engaged in criticism of any kind about any subject, you just used your standards to judge that person and/or event.

Quote:
also plenty immigrant work in US have green card, but never get the citizenship or have dual passport.
Their choice and I have no problems with that. But this is not about getting citizenship or how many passports. This is about having citizenship and representing the country of that citizenship.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
People should stop bringing up this defense for Gu. This is about the US, not other countries. We can be sure that the peoples in those other countries criticize their athletes as well. Americans are not the only people who are patriotic.

Force? Who is 'forcing' Gu to chose? Criticism is NOT force.

Yes, we do. If you ever engaged in criticism of any kind about any subject, you just used your standards to judge that person and/or event.

Their choice and I have no problems with that. But this is not about getting citizenship or how many passports. This is about having citizenship and representing the country of that citizenship.
same can be said to you, your idea is no one should have dual passport, well thats up to the congress. whether we like hate gu doesn't matter, its perfectly legal. ppl move around all the time that include american.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
its one big reason but not necessarily the ONLY reason. i dont see it as black and white, for starter, she made decision around 13-14, i dont think she care much about $$ at that age. so mostly her mom decision.
she is from CA, but spend 1/3 or 1/4 of her life in china,. her mom & grandma, who raise her is chinese, her uncle etc etc live in china, and she travel there EVERY summer since 2yrs old. she is not like other ABC who pretty much grow up in US and can't speak chinese well.
also her american coach she had since 9 move to china and become chinese national team coach. furthermore her mom is upper class, and spend close to $1million to train her. drive her to lake tahoe EVERY weekend, thats 8 hr trip. she never train on US national team before, start train in both china and US around 13 or 14, and her mom pay for all the expense.
Are you suggesting had the endorsement opportunities been in the US. Not China. She might have chosen to still complete for the Chinese? That an opportunity to earn a ton of money in endorsements wasn't the overriding factor behind her decision to play on team China?

As far as time spent abroad. My guess is she spent her summer vacations in China.
Gu grew up in California to a Chinese mother, but she says she spent a few months every year in China when she was a child.
https://www.si.com/olympics/2022/02/...zenship-status

Old 02-21-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Are you suggesting had the endorsement opportunities been in the US. Not China. She might have chosen to still complete for the Chinese? That an opportunity to earn a ton of money in endorsements wasn't the overriding factor behind her decision to play on team China?

As far as time spent abroad. My guess is she spent her summer vacations in China.
Gu grew up in California to a Chinese mother, but she says she spent a few months every year in China when she was a child.
https://www.si.com/olympics/2022/02/...zenship-status
i think her mom made the decision, she can earn alot in US or china, she probably earn more in china. but as a 14 yrs, she probably dont have concept of $$$, just want to ski. i do know, china team saw her potential at early age, and decide to invest in her. she been train in china since 14, got into china national team at 16ish.

this is her training/play around 13/14. at that time china already seen her as olympic material, and had contact her mom. otherwise they wont display this short video right after her gold medal. the other kids is also an olympic gold medallist this years, so i doubt these two just Magically know each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTU-vunubY

Old 02-21-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
i think her mom made the decision, she can earn alot in US or china, she probably earn more in china. but as a 14 yrs, she probably dont have concept of $$$, just want to ski. i do know, china team saw her potential at early age, and decide to invest in her. she been train in china since 14, got into china national team at 16ish.

this is her training/play around 13/14. at that time china already seen her as olympic material, and had contact her mom. otherwise they wont display this short video right after her gold medal. the other kids is also an olympic gold medallist this years, so i doubt these two just Magically know each other[/b]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTU-vunubY

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies