Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 03:44 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
AA violates the spirit and letter of both the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause and the Civil Rights Act.

Period, end of line.
I don't think you understand what affirmative action is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 03:46 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I don't think you understand what the word Equal means.

Affirmative action, BY DEFINITION, is differential treatment based on a protected class. That BY DEFINITION is a violation of the Civil Rights Act and the Equal Protection clause.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why don't you explain why, up until 1930, more often than not the black UE rate was similar too or lower than the white UE rate? It was the South that brought the rates down. In 1930 the black UE rate in the South was lower than anywhere else.

Granted you'll have to wake up out of your dream world to answer that one.
Affirmative action was first applied to Federal Contractors, like Lockheed, that were not hiring qualified Blacks. Without AA, that practice would have continued forever.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I don't think you understand what the word Equal means.

Affirmative action, BY DEFINITION, is differential treatment based on a protected class. That BY DEFINITION is a violation of the Civil Rights Act and the Equal Protection clause.
Would you argue that requiring a Federal contractor to interview Blacks for open positions is differential treatment? Or are you just OK with an employer dropping all applications that indicate an applicant might be Black, for example having attended a historically Black college?

You are obviously clueless about how poorly Blacks are frequently treated, even today, despite having equal qualifications.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:35 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I forgot to mention that "whiteness characteristics" the Smithsonian/AFrican-American Museum came out with last year.
Don't tell me even they started doing that.

What kind of a museum talks about such things?

Old 02-10-2022, 04:46 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Yes I do.

Laws that require/prescribe unequal treatment based on race. You know, in direct violation of both the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act.

You do realize that a law that creates an advantage for one race, by definition must therefore create a disadvantage for every race that is NOT that race. This, in fact, violates the Constitution and duly passed federal law.

That everyone is OK with it because it serves what they think is or was a noble goal is irrelevant. If I mug an old lady by hitting her in the head with a brick, and then take the money I stole and give it to an orphanage or cancer research, is my initiation of force negated because the noble end justified the evil means?

Old 02-10-2022, 04:46 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
It's so stark and interesting. If you look at successful Blacks like Sowell, Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain, Ben Carson ... they don't talk about race being a great unequalizer. Look at today's successful Blacks that are Democrats, and it sure seems like it's always about race.
Exactly. In the ingenious words of black conservative Booker T Washington:
Quote:
“The individual who can do something that the world wants done will, in the end, make his way regardless of his race.”
https://www.crf-usa.org/black-histor...r-t-washington

Old 02-10-2022, 04:49 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Expecting equal outcomes across any group is silly.

Equal Opportunity should be first and foremost. There isn't a reasonable or fair way to meet or make equal outcomes. People perform at varying levels.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:55 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Humans vary dramatically even in their willingness to take risks and their tolerance for failure.
That’s correct. Then add the variables of ambition, work ethic, and discipline that vary even from people within the same household and upbringing, and you’ll find that legislating equal outcome among millions is simply impossible.

You can’t legislate equal outcome. We already tried, it was called communism.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Would you argue that requiring a Federal contractor to interview Blacks for open positions is differential treatment? Or are you just OK with an employer dropping all applications that indicate an applicant might be Black, for example having attended a historically Black college?
Equal protection requires that a federal contractor must then also interview one of every single race known to mankind. An explicit requirement that an employer interview someone of one race but having no such requirement for every other race known to mankind is, by definition, unequal, and therefore, differential, treatment.

You're NEVER going to get equal treatment unless and until you treat people equally.

Quote:
You are obviously clueless about how poorly Blacks are frequently treated, even today, despite having equal qualifications.
Cry me a freaking river. Even if I accept your premise that affirmative action was necessary at the time, it no longer is and it needs to be abolished. I had a homeless person harass me about ignoring him because, per his claim, "he was black". No...maybe it has something to do with the fact that you're harassing me.

EVERY RACE that has arrived in this country has been treated poorly by the races that arrived before them. The Native Americans were treated poorly and they were here first. Not even the successful black people cry about this anymore. The victim mentality needs to stop and it needs to stop yesterday.

Last edited by albert648; 02-10-2022 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies