Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 06:34 PM

44 posts, read 25,214 times

Advertisements

I know some people will complain about the source, but this story is about an interview with a REAL person. And, apparently, the mainstream media would never dream of reporting about this interview. They can't. It hurts the narrative...

Doctor who discovered Omicron says she was pressured by European gov'ts not to reveal it was mild

Quote:
The South African physician who first discovered the Omicron variant prior to its outbreak around the world says she was pressured by European governments not to reveal that it was mild because it’s not what politicians wanted to hear.

Dr. Angelique Coetzee said to German publication Welt that she was ordered to not state publicly that it was a mild illness, and was advised to refrain from making any statements that would otherwise indicate that the disease, which is now understood by the broader scientific community, to not be a serious illness.
Quote:
What I said at one point — because I was just tired of it — was: In South Africa this is a mild illness, but in Europe it is a very serious one. That’s what your politicians wanted to hear,” Coetzee said.
https://www.rebelnews.com/doctor_who...GqdD0SkIra0cs0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 06:45 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Rebelnews....

Old 02-10-2022, 11:51 PM

2,284 posts, read 636,343 times
It was the most bizarre thing to watch US, European governments recommend boosters for a mild virus that had completely escaped the vaccines anyway.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:33 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Rebelnews....
Are you saying the physician didn't make this statement?

Or that that she did make this statement but it's a lie?

It's unclear which part of the information you are questioning.

PS. Here's a link to the interview (German): https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/...n-bringen.html

Old 02-11-2022, 05:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Dr. Angelique Coetzee told the German newspaper, Die Welt, that European governments had asked her to present the new strain as “as serious as previous versions of Covid-19, such as Delta.”

“I was told not to say publicly that it was a mild illness,” the doctor said in an interview.

And adds:

“I was asked to refrain from such statements and to say that this is a serious illness. I refused.”

She is adamant that in most cases Omicron is mild.

"I'm not saying you won't get sick, I'm just saying it's mild. The World Health Organization's definition of mild coronavirus disease is clear: patients can be treated at home and don't necessarily need oxygen or hospitalization. A serious illness is one in which we can observe acute lung respiratory infections - then people need oxygen, maybe even artificial respiration. We saw this in Delta, but not in Omicron. So I told those who were pressuring me: I can’t say such a thing because it is not what we observe,” says Coetzee.

https://www.novinite.com/articles/21...a+Mild+Disease

Old 02-11-2022, 05:37 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times
It's odd, isn't it?

South Africa said Omicron was mild almost at the same time it announced it. It was fairly widely covered, the discovery and the mildness.

I never quite got why it yielded so much panic here when is was such snoozer in South Africa.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:56 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Too bad for the Dems, omicron is not nightmarishly-dangerous.

That way, the Dems might have had some sort of justification in keeping or ramping-up restrictions.

But, Dems see the writing on the wall......the mid-terms will be an even worse blowout if they
keep going with unneeded, corona-based dog & pony.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:10 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
Jeez Im turning into a conspiracy nut, but Im wondering if Omicron was created to be a mild but more contagious version to turn into a mild seasonal thing... Tested in southern Africa.

Where is my tin foil hat?

Old 02-11-2022, 06:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Jeez Im turning into a conspiracy nut...
Apparently so, yes.

Back on topic: It makes sense to not state as fact - this is a strain that results in mild disease - when the strain is brand new. Not enough data existed to responsibly make such a declaration.

However, the coverage in the US has been "So far, this appears to be a much milder strain, though more easily transmitted, than previous strains." from the start. Which seems accurate, reasonable and fair.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:19 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
Well, the Omicron variant may, as a whole, be milder, but it certainly is proving deadly for the elderly and the unvaccinated:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-deaths-covid/

For yesterday, John Hopkins reports 147,416 new cases, yet 3,179 deaths.

In the past month, almost 15 million cases, 70,000 deaths.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/united-states

I guess one problem is declaring the new variant is 'milder' is it causes people to forego getting vaccinated, or getting the booster shot which is recommended to deal with Omicron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies