Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 12:44 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What’s wrong with that? What’s the real difference between you go to a rally and a billionaire drops millions to a PAC?

The whole point of making money is that you have more ways to influence your life.

Also, it doesn’t seem the billionaires have been successful - their property taxes and income taxes are the highest.
yeah.. and this is why media and news sucks in America. Billionaires buying up all the news sources.

Its dangerous to let the Gates and Zuckerbergs and Bezo’s have the most influence in America because they created a popular product.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:48 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yup. That surely eliminated a lot poor people.

It eliminated a lot of DESTITUTE people - yes.

Because "poor people" is a relative definition.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:50 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It eliminated a lot of DESTITUTE people - yes.

Because "poor people" is a relative definition.
LOL at communism making anyone better off.

Communism created more poverty than every other economic system combined. People were jealous that some people were wealthier than them so they made the government make everyone equally destitute.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:51 PM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I have issues when its Billions.

Wages should be higher at those companies.

No reason for one person to have Billions of dollars. No one works so hard they make Billions unless they are exploiting workers at the bottom.
If in $100 dollar bill, one billion in cash would weigh about 10 tons. No bank will stock that for anyone. One billion is always in wealth, not in cash.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:57 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I think no one should have million/billions of dollars, but I should.

lol Just kidding, kidding, kidding...

Of course it is great that there are wealthy and successful people out there. My goal is to retire before age of 40. Live like a queen with the love of my life. Thanks to my grandparents, my parents and myself and my loved one, I will reach my goal very soon!

Old 02-11-2022, 01:02 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's their workers who produce and work hard. Without them they wouldn't be making millions. I don't care who has millions. But if they have millions then they should have no problem paying their employees a wage that they can live on, maybe even more. They should also pay their full healthcare and other benefits. They certainly have the money, so why not. Take care of those who work for you and made whatever company you own a fortune. Now, if your investments made you a millionaire then bravo. They owe nothing to anyone, well except taxes.
Oh..chicken and egg huh ? Without that millionaire to start up that company those people would not have had jobs to begin with.

It's a symbiotic relationship. Those workers will never have the same money as the millionaire.
If they want to be millionaires then let them go out and start up companies and work their butt off to the point they can hire workers themselves.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:03 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Another excellent book that I have in my home library is: How To Lie With Statistics.

But to your point about your life. If you gained morally and legally, we should not care if you, or any millionaire, flaunts your wealth. Yes, ultimately we cannot take what we have to the afterlife, assuming there is such in the first place, so enjoy the fruits of our labor and sacrifices while we still can.

To me, the hidden motive behind the criticism of why should anyone have X more than others is Envy. Ill gotten gains have nothing to do with this because there are legal avenues to deal with this on an individual basis. Even inherited wealth is irrelevant because even though we respect those who worked for their wealth, we have never enforced the idea that everyone should start from zero, so what you gave to your children is none of my business. So in the end, it is all about Envy.
I agree, it is all about envy.

I don't assume an afterlife exists, making it even more important to enjoy your life while you can. You don't get a second chance.

I also don't find spending it on things to "flaunt" to be all that rewarding. Experiences are the most rewarding. Especially, family experiences. Family vacations in beautiful places. Front row tickets to concerts and broadway shows. Experiencing food from the world's greatest chefs. These are the things that make life exciting.

Also, I will spend money to make the environment in which I live, more beautiful. After all, that is where I spend most of my time, so it better be spent somewhere as pleasant as possible.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:26 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Economics is not a zero sum game.

One person having $millions does not stop anyone else from having just as much. Think of it like baking cookies. You can bake 100 cookies per day and in a short time, have thousands of cookies. Does your accumulation of cookies prevent anyone else from baking?

Think of human productivity, innovation and labor like flour and sugar. As long as you have the right ingredients, you can bake to your heart's content. Wealth is just like that. As long as people are out there "baking", the amount of wealth continues to grow. IT IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME.

As far as do I think other people should have more than me or not...uhm, I don't live my life coveting or feeling envious/jealous of what others have. If they aren't initiating force against me, then what do I care what anyone else does, has, thinks, etc?

Old 02-11-2022, 01:32 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Economics is not a zero sum game.
With one exception.

Any transaction you conduct with the Government IS a zero sum game.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:32 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You getting your education in STEM was not exactly "your choice."

Understanding math and science is a gift from above for example.
What exactly can we do about different abilities in humans?

If certain people have an innate ability to make billions of dollars, should we do anything about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies