Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 03:20 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Economics is not a zero sum game.

One person having $millions does not stop anyone else from having just as much. Think of it like baking cookies. You can bake 100 cookies per day and in a short time, have thousands of cookies. Does your accumulation of cookies prevent anyone else from baking?

Think of human productivity, innovation and labor like flour and sugar. As long as you have the right ingredients, you can bake to your heart's content. Wealth is just like that. As long as people are out there "baking", the amount of wealth continues to grow. IT IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME.

As far as do I think other people should have more than me or not...uhm, I don't live my life coveting or feeling envious/jealous of what others have. If they aren't initiating force against me, then what do I care what anyone else does, has, thinks, etc?
Thousands of cookies are... small potatoes; eventually there are always limits. Flour? There's only so much.Your huge order will need to compete with other orders. Good for you if you can manage to outbid the others, or negotiate a back-room deal, but then that's not really zero-sum, is it? Of course, you could bulldoze some forests to plant more wheat, but those forests are yet another finite resource.

Anyway, I'd be happy to support someone making thousands of cookies. But if you lobby the government to say cookies are very safe and effective, and everyone should eat them? No thanks.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:26 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,166,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
One thing the left always complains about are the people that have millions, or billions of dollars regardless of how good they are and how much they produce for others. Do you think no matter how hard a person genuinely works and no matter how much money they invest creating jobs it's just wrong for any one person to have so much and should be distributed equally to everyone?
Well comrade 227 we can certainly see the needs of the proletariat better than the peasants out there. Let us goose step with joy to that bright future seen by the elites of the party.........!!

Old 02-11-2022, 03:38 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
It's a bit like the stock market. You don't want to take capital from your winners and put it in your losers.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Name one thing that was brought to you by the poor.
my garage being broke into

Old 02-11-2022, 03:42 PM

357 posts, read 222,609 times
So lets really look at what the Billionaires of the US make-
this is their personal wealth not what their companies are worth.
Elon Musk - 256.1 Billion (predicted to be 1 Trillion by Space X within year)
Jeff Bezos - 187.1 Billion
Gates - 132.6 Billion
Buffet- 116.5 Billion
Zuckerberg- 82.8 Billion

Now lets realize what that amount of money looks like- 1 Billion = 1,000 Million

These people have so much money that they have more money than the GDP of over 100 countries. Their wealth increased majorly during the pandemic - amazingly. What can anyone person do with that amount of money that Musk and Bezos have really? Can you even imagine if they just gave a small portion of their fortunes to the less fortunate in this Country what they could change? How about Bezos just paying his overworked employees a decent wage ? I mean where does it stop with these guys ? How much will they amass and what do you think they will do with it ?

Old 02-11-2022, 03:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
So lets really look at what the Billionaires of the US make-
this is their personal wealth not what their companies are worth.
Elon Musk - 256.1 Billion (predicted to be 1 Trillion by Space X within year)
Jeff Bezos - 187.1 Billion
Gates - 132.6 Billion
Buffet- 116.5 Billion
Zuckerberg- 82.8 Billion

Now lets realize what that amount of money looks like- 1 Billion = 1,000 Million

These people have so much money that they have more money than the GDP of over 100 countries. Their wealth increased majorly during the pandemic - amazingly. What can anyone person do with that amount of money that Musk and Bezos have really? Can you even imagine if they just gave a small portion of their fortunes to the less fortunate in this Country what they could change? How about Bezos just paying his overworked employees a decent wage ? I mean where does it stop with these guys ? How much will they amass and what do you think they will do with it ?
ok...so what

now take ALL their money of those top5 and what do you get 771b.... a mere 15% of the budget...in other words you could take ALL THEIR MONEY and it would only fund the government for a month and a half

Old 02-11-2022, 03:55 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
As a non republican/conservative I think that “no one having millions” shouldn’t be a goal of any government in a free country. This recent talk about “equality” got totally out of hand and is a total stretch.

That being said, it is also an issue of “how much” (and proportions).

Another topic are the fairy tales (and propaganda) still circulating in the US that somehow wealth and “hard working” are connected or correlated. Basically, that hard workers are becoming rich due to their hard work….

Old 02-11-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok...so what

now take ALL their money of those top5 and what do you get 771b.... a mere 15% of the budget...in other words you could take ALL THEIR MONEY and it would only fund the government for a month and a half
Yea because the Government is full of thieves and bloat - so what?

Old 02-11-2022, 04:00 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
No one should have enough money to buy a government or even an individual politician. Democracy must be protected from the oligarchs.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:03 PM

Just imagine if the Government spent the money the way the tax payers wanted what it would look like in America ? But the Billionares can make the changes we can not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies