Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2022, 06:16 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
I'm not opposed to billionaires keeping their money but we should change our tax system to allow them to pitch in more taxes. Take Amazon and Walmart for example, those business exists because the taxpayers build infrastructure and provide safe and effective transportation for their delivery trucks and stores. Our tax code allows them to pay zero or minimal taxes, it's time to change the tax code to make them pay their fair share.
do you know which tax laws allow AMZN to - at times - pay so little?

WalMart paid a 33% rate for FY21, which equated to $6.8B. https://corporate.walmart.com/media-...e-fdcf018d0000

Old 02-13-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Would it be great if those with lots of liquid wealth decided voluntarily to share some of it with worthy causes to help out fellow humans? Sure (and many do). Is it the government's place to decide what is enough and how to redistribute any of that money? Absolutely not.

I think there is also a serious disconnect from reality with some people. Amazon exists because someone had an jdea and took the risk to make it reality. The business model worked, and it grew and grew. Same story with your standard big box store, car dealership, hospital system, etc.

If there is no incentive (wealth) to build these empires, they don't happen. And along with that, none of the employees, infrastructure, or technological advances along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How is that great? Giving money to people who didn’t earn it is deeply immoral.
it's great because it IS the "American Way" to voluntarily - maybe your glazed-over eyes missed that - share your "good fortune" with worthy causes that help your fellow humans/Americans.

In theory, that is exactly what you want - those who earned the money to seek the most worthy causes based on their judgement - and not the government taking that income/wealth and making the choice.

Or, you're one of those "hardcore libertarians" that believe there should be zero taxation and there's no moral obligation to improve your community.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
while, as a "conservative", I agree that those on the left see Government as to the solution, I do disagree that Government is the root cause of problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Without any exception, every government policy hurts the poor.
I mis-quoted by not including cause of ALL problems. The government is not the root cause ALL problems.

That is no necessarily mis-aligned with "every government policy hurts the poor", although I'm sure I could find some government policies or actions that help the poor. I think the military would be one ... I can't see how that hurts the poor.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yeah, the anti-government crowd is always right. Except for the fact that all prosperous countries have functioning governments. The most prosperous countries (the Nordic countries) have governments that provide an above-average amount of public services.
While of course the "anti-government crowd" - few as they may be - aren't always right, I'd be interested in this measure of "the most prosperous countries".

Nobody is always right.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Did I say that?

We chose to do the business, figuring we had to make it 2 years without any salary. Everything that came in went straight back into the business.

I'm saying people who sign up for starting their own business better figure on some sacrifice. Or have already saved enough to buy their groceries for a year or so.

Some of these tech companies that started in a garage had well off families to sustain them.
ah, my apologies for misunderstanding. I think those on this forum who would start a business understand your mindset already.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:22 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
was never offered a job by a poor person.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:14 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Money represents power, starting with the power to control our own lives. Anything past a few million is power over other people.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:57 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Money represents power, starting with the power to control our own lives. Anything past a few million is power over other people.
Or a house near the beach or a ski mountain. Or an apartment in Manhattan. Or a nice retirement fund.

Any of these can very easily be more than "a few million", but you will have to explain how having any of these gives you power over other people, because I don't get it.

Who gets to decide how much is enough? What are their qualifications for that job? What are the criteria they use to decide?

Old 02-13-2022, 03:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
What power does Musk have over you?

Old 02-13-2022, 03:34 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
One thing the left always complains about are the people that have millions, or billions of dollars regardless of how good they are and how much they produce for others. Do you think no matter how hard a person genuinely works and no matter how much money they invest creating jobs it's just wrong for any one person to have so much and should be distributed equally to everyone?
Not me, they can make all they want. But for their salvation - they should share what they will never be able to spend. There are many who give to charity and have events for charities. Being greedy or being a glutton is not a good quality in mankind. We laugh in movies at the preppy college boy getting his arrogant arse whipped by some mechanic’s kid. Those prep boys and Kardash gals do exist and some are vile.
Do you like their selfish arrogance ?
I don’t think being wasteful is a good thing and around their corner, vets and kids are going hungry. My opinion, but this was just presented to Elon Musk by the UN…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies