Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 10:38 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,011,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Where does the $ come from to pay this increase? Our taxes. I own a small business. No one is giving me an automatic raise. And with inflation, just the opposite. What I have, does not go as far.

I don't see how we can afford it at this point.

cd :O)
It’s free money. Similar to the excess free money’s that is helping pay student debt. Free. Ah free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 10:41 AM

10,346 posts, read 4,237,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not even close.

Nixon had a 10%+ year, hell he averaged more than 6.5%.

Bush2's first year in office was also 4.6%.

ok I admit I didnt go back before bush

Old 02-11-2022, 10:43 AM

15,935 posts, read 12,214,095 times
It will encourage the private sector to give us an increase. Inflation is running way higher than wage growth squeezing the middle. Since they will never pop the bubbles and bring on deflation because the free market types are scared of the deflationary boogeyman and secretly like the status quo and the swamp, that only leaves wage growth.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:54 AM

52,342 posts, read 34,085,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not even close.

Nixon had a 10%+ year, hell he averaged more than 6.5%.

Bush2's first year in office was also 4.6%.
i can't help but notice that you carefully avoided mentioning carter's 9.1%.

any particular reason why?

Old 02-11-2022, 11:17 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,286,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i can't help but notice that you carefully avoided mentioning carter's 9.1%.

any particular reason why?
Nope. Nixon's was just the highest on the chart and Bush2 was the most recent example of something equal to or greater. Nothing sinister.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:58 AM

1,120 posts, read 435,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Given inflation that's not unreasonable at all.

Root problem remains to be inflation.
LOL, so we are going to increase inflation by spending more money that we have to borrow, to adjust salaries upwards for employees that are part of the inflation problem to begin with. But you're saying that doesn't seem unreasonable? That's odd logic. I say federal employees should receive massive pay cuts right now. The federal government is an employer, and when employers lose money, they need to cut payroll cost and other overhead expenses.

All truly non essential federal employees should be fired immediately. All remaining federal employees should receive a 25% pay cut and all federal politicians should not only have the pay cut, they should have all benefits slashed by 50%.

Poor employees should never be rewarded. Our nation is in abysmal shape because of the idiots in charge and the federal employees that give poor work for high pay. So let the federal employees, who have lived high off the taxpayers for years, now pay through the nose for their poor performance and high wages.

Put me in charge of the government for a year, and the inflation problem and increasing national debt issues would be found in the history books, not the balance books.

It is time for tough actions for tough problems. I have bought several failing businesses, restructured them and sold them as profit making businesses to new owners. Making money doesn't take a genius, it takes following basic and sound business principles. You must take in more than you spend. Only idiots think you can spend more than you take in endlessly without going broke. Even our government, with all their borrowing power and their ability to "create" money out of thin air, is destined to fail from poor business practices eventually.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,490,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what the heck, it's only money. we can always print more.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...loyees-service
Isn’t that like a 5% pay cut in reality?

Old 02-11-2022, 01:00 PM

10,346 posts, read 4,237,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post

Put me in charge of the government for a year, and the inflation problem and increasing national debt issues would be found in the history books, not the balance books.

thats an easy one...have you filed your candidacy yet?

Old 02-17-2022, 08:19 AM

52,342 posts, read 34,085,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Isn’t that like a 5% pay cut in reality?
how would it be?

Old 02-17-2022, 08:30 AM

23,390 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Default Dems trying to buy votes

Ah, the cost to taxpayers of Dems trying to buy votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies