Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 11:59 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times

Advertisements

Anyone dread the new year as January 1st and July 1st is the day the government likely makes a once legal activity illegal and another opporunity for government agencies or police to engage, cite or arrest citizens who are trying to stay within the law while trying to live and breathe? This is esepcially troublesome for those who need to live or work or frequenty travel between different states.

I keep hearing that politicians are merely trying to gain votes next election by all these law making each passing year. But who are they trying to please or get votes from anyways?
Do they really think everyday voters want these, especially if it makes their lives harder? With the catchpharse "you can't do this no more" Or are most votes coming from those involved with special interests? They also continue tend to turn a blind eye on other real issues people face.

I be curious who that avalenche of laws each year are really benefiting? Obviously its rarely the average civilian, if it ever is its only sheer luck and coincidence, but its obviously not intentional.

The science of lawmaking would always remain a mystery to me and most regular folks. The question never seem to get answered and the answer seems to remain a secret.

Though sadly City-data and most social media seem to only has special interest posters left. People had most given up on standing up on social media just as they did in the past with town hall meetings or HOA meetings. As they think all that effort for nothing.

I also don't understand why every tax hike no matter how ridiculous it is passes each election especially in places like California when even the most Democrat voters I know think its ridiculous.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 01-20-2022 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 03:59 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
I've known liberals who claim that they believe that everyone should give ALL their income to the government and the government should redistribute it equally. Whether they really believe that is doubtful, but that is what they profess to believe. Most liberals believe some variation of this.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:04 PM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times
If you visit certain r/ discussions which is mostly gen x and newer they overwhelmingly want lots of government, lots of laws, and lots of control. They clap their flippers when a politician saves the earth or someones life from covid by just speaking because it is all about feelings to them. But when we remove laws, regulations, covid orders that is viewed as baaaaad and people will die and so forth. We are doomed. No critical thought.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:20 PM

640 posts, read 450,802 times
OP, the politicians you are describing -- those who want to keep enacting the laws and regulations that restrict our choices and our freedom -- are all Democrats. The GOP stands for individual freedom, small government, and less regulation. Once we realize this, then your question is easy to answer: The Dem politicians are trying to carry water for their constituents, which are:

1. Teacher's unions. They want less work, hence the school closings, lighter work weeks, restrictions of competition (charter and religious schools).
2. Government unions. Thus the push to make their nest, the DC, a state, and get two reliably Dem senators. Thus an increase in the federal and state agencies, commissions, and other places for the busybodies to congregate.
3. Trial lawyers. That's why we keep seeing an increase in regulations of all sorts on the private companies, ostensibly to "protect the people," but really to feed the sharks.
4. Environmentalist nutheads. Hence the emphasis on "climate change" and other nonsense.
5. Hollywood, social workers, "women's issues," "gender studies" graduates, etc., etc. They all want something done for them and need to be pacified. Hence a plethora of destructive laws and regulations that reach into every aspect of our lives.

A dire picture indeed.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM

Interesting but I noticed both sides are equally guilty of this. Except They just blame the other side. Or like trying to remove the spike in their brother’s eye without removing the beam. Many countries legislators seems to act this way especially in recent years.

The last poster’s post hits the point, In the US generally the government is not the one paying the bills if you hurt yourself, another citizen, or if your kids get hurt. Yet the nanny state seems to treat people especially kids as government property that must be protected in a certain way they say. Parents and teachers are only acting as agents of the government.Sometimes even in red states. It appears while states like South Dakota held out from many nanny state legislation the decisions in 2018 and 2020 shows they are not immune.

Don’t get me started on enviro nuts who use legislators around the world to push their version of green lifestyle on everyone of us. And corporates are backing such laws as it helps them find an excuse to customers to cut overhead costs and add a new money making opportunities.

I always curious whether those groups/unions have a much more influential system of votes than average everyday citizens who dread new sense less laws and taxation. Yet they pass the ballot box anyways.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:33 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting but I noticed both sides are equally guilty of this. Except They just blame the other side. Or like trying to remove the spike in their brother’s eye without removing the beam. Many countries legislators seems to act this way especially in recent years.

The last poster’s post hits the point, In the US generally the government is not the one paying the bills if you hurt yourself, another citizen, or if your kids get hurt. Yet the nanny state seems to treat people especially kids as government property that must be protected in a certain way they say. Sometimes even in red states. It appears while states like South Dakota held out from many nanny state legislation the decisions in 2018 and 2020 shows they are not immune.

Don’t get me started on enviro nuts who use legislators around the world to push their version of green lifestyle on everyone of us. And corporates are backing such laws as it helps them find an excuse to customers to cut overhead costs and add a new money making opportunities.

I always curious whether those groups/unions have a much more influential system of votes than average everyday citizens who dread new sense less laws and taxation. Yet they pass the ballot box anyways.
all i know is in my red state i dont have to deal with all the burdensome regulations and laws i had to deal with in my blue state. i am much more free, and enjoy a low cost of living. thanks to republicans.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:39 AM

588 posts, read 225,457 times
It’s all about power. These government psychos want total control.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:41 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Every politician in Florida.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
It’s all about power. These government psychos want total control.
It’s interesting where the votes come from these days. It appears even with polls open to public the public seems muted in practice. Even the most ridiculous taxes to most people passes the ballot box in states like California.

It’s also interesting what they decide to be picky on or not.

Ie lawmakers are unlikely to make a law restricting riding on a horse without a helmet and texting and talking with phone on a horse even if it’s drawing a carriage.

And while helmets are required on motorcycles in some states as long as one can wear a helmet and their legs can reach the pegs they can ride as a passenger on one. But it appears nowadays in more and more places soon smaller adults may find themselves need special seating apparatus to get their drivers licenses and risk a ticket without one.

Interesting south dakota did not want to have cell phone nor texting rule. But a freak incident involving some youngster driving into a stationary or parked object and died on the phone had pushed a primary not just secondary law into effect on 2020. I am afraid there is no where to avoid such ridiculousness anymore.

Interestingly many places banned drones yet they turn a blind eye to much noisier and dangerous aircraft which had caused innocent causality on the ground quite number of times in just a few months but no action pushed. I assume because air craft are mostly owned by the rich and powerful and those in power including lobbyists. Any attempt to keep them away from populated areas would hinder their movements. But since commoners might afford and operate drones they must be stopped to avoid any potential mishaps against those powerful people in our airspace. Same with how they prioritize need new laws to keep passengers in line much more than keep big airline or big pharma/insurance in line.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:50 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
It's kinda interesting, how some things never change.
In Romans, Apostle Paul wrote: Oh Romans, remember, no problem was ever solved by government.
Chit never changed in over 2000 years, aight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies