Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 08:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Coercing people into a medical procedure by making them into a 2nd class citizen is wrong. Any laws that do that should be disobeyed like Rosa Parks did by refusing to go to the back of the bus. Any citizenry that sits by silently during this discrimination and injustice needs to be inconvenienced so they get it. I’d be happy to see the Trucker Freedom Convoy ground our cities to a halt and our economies to tatters until our tyrants step down or are pulled down kicking and screaming by the people.

And your argument that it applies to every Canadian therefore cannot be discriminatory is like telling a gay man to marry a woman if he wants to get married. We, the antiVax, want to live normal lives but don’t want these vaccines.
Yeah, that's why EVERY single Canadian child was coerced into these that I'm sure some didn't want:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents...-diseases.html

They ran the risk of being deemed second class citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 08:20 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And we need to be concerned about that why exactly?

Given the last couple of Oval office occupiers I would think you should have far more concerns over YOUR leader's "credibility".

People who have previously shown no interest in, (as they frequently claim) and therefore have absolutely no knowledge of Canada's system of governance, are in no position to rate it's leader's performance.

I'll just leave this here for those calling Trudeau a fascist tyrant to show just how stupid that meme actually is:

"In fairness, there is, in Canadian law, a doctrine known as federal paramountcy, where the federal government can override a province's law. However, this doctrine has not been used in about a hundred years, and now joins those constitutional traditions where we don't dare use them, because to do so would invite a constitutional crisis.

You make a good point, though. Protesters seem to feel that Trudeau is in charge of everything. He's not; and he's certainly not a dictator who controls every aspect of Canadians' lives, especially in their provinces. He cannot control whether you need a "vaccine passport" to get into a bar in Alberta, or how many people can attend a Maple Leafs hockey game in Toronto. He cannot control whether kids need masks to attend school in British Columbia, or whether grocery shoppers need masks to go to Sobey's supermarket in Halifax. He's powerless over most of the mandates and restrictions that Canadians encounter daily, which tend to be all at the provincial level, not federal.

If you're PO'ed at mask mandates in Ontario, protest at Queen's Park in Toronto. If you are PO'ed over vaccine passports in British Columbia, head for Victoria. If you're PO'ed over in-school attendance and/or virtual learning in Nova Scotia, head for Halifax. And so on. But none of these are issues that Trudeau or the federal Parliament can control, so if you cannot get into a bar in Saskatchewan without a vaccine passport, going to Ottawa won't help you.

Justin Trudeau has responded poorly to the pandemic over the last two years (IMHO), but expecting him to wave a magic "freedom" wand now because of the truckers, in order to override what every province has done, and continues to do, is asking him to do what he cannot do. Our Constitutional traditions prevent him from doing so."
You’re hiding behind the Canadian legal framework to defend injustice and human rights violations. Southern States did the same to defend slavery- state rights. Technically, as the Constitution was written, the Federal government had no authority to abolish slavery. But it’s the duty of every government to protect her citizens from local tyrants.

These mandates are the worst offense against civil rights since slavery.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's why EVERY single Canadian child was coerced into these that I'm sure some didn't want:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents...-diseases.html

They ran the risk of being deemed second class citizens.
1. In the USA these are just for public schools. Whereas these vaccine mandates are so broad they apply to all facets of life from employment to education to travel to entertainment.
2. In the USA if you’re in one of the 44/50 states those are guidelines not mandates. Philosophical exemptions exist.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
You’re hiding behind the Canadian legal framework to defend injustice and human rights violations. Southern States did the same to defend slavery- state rights. Technically, as the Constitution was written, the Federal government had no authority to abolish slavery. But it’s the duty of every government to protect her citizens from local tyrants.

These mandates are the worst offense against civil rights since slavery.
I'm not hiding behind anything at all.

Deeming vaccination mandates imposed by a variety of countries (including yours) as human rights violations as compared to slavery is just more over-emotive nonsense to gain traction where there is none to be had.

These mandates were enacted by a wide variety of the whole world's democratically elected civic leaders for the express purpose of protecting the majority from the petty ill-informed whims of the minority. How many of your fellow citizens must die before some of you see the merit behind the premise "for the general welfare of all" ?? Is almost a million of you not enough? Canada with 38 million people has experienced a comparatively small loss of 35,000 in total. See the difference?

Sensible people the world over are in agreement - mitigating this thing required extreme measures but, nothing that hadn't been done before and certainly nothing that was forced upon anyone as these infantile halfwits maintain. Allow freedom of movement of the unvaccinated while this thing was at it's peak is what caused the unnecessary deaths in any number of locations That is an irrefutably proven fact.

These few truckers are among a group that are over 85% fully vaccinated who were quite capable, willing and performing well maintaining the cross-border supply both ways. Now they are seeking to deny those the their ability to make a living in the most quintessential of obvious ironies.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Deeming vaccination mandates imposed by a variety of countries (including yours) as human rights violations as compared to slavery is just more over-emotive nonsense to gain traction where there is none to be had.

These mandates were enacted by a wide variety of the whole world's democratically elected civic leaders for the express purpose of protecting the majority from the petty ill-informed whims of the minority. How many of your fellow citizens must die before some of you see the merit behind the premise "for the general welfare of all" ?? Is almost a million of you not enough? Canada with 38 million people has experienced a comparatively small loss of 35,000 in total. See the difference?

Sensible people the world over are in agreement - mitigating this thing required extreme measures but, nothing that hadn't been done before and certainly nothing that was forced upon anyone as these infantile halfwits maintain. Allow freedom of movement of the unvaccinated while this thing was at it's peak is what caused the unnecessary deaths in any number of locations That is an irrefutably proven fact.

These few truckers are among a group that are over 85% fully vaccinated who were quite capable, willing and performing well maintaining the cross-border supply both ways. Now they are seeking to deny those the their ability to make a living in the most quintessential of obvious ironies.
All vaccine mandates are wrong, including in the USA (my country). I want them all gone. I’m proud of the Canadian truckers for being the first. But I’m under no illusions that my country isn’t doing the same, especially a few deplorable states.

Vaccine mandates are cruel and violent. Having a person injected with something they don’t want cruelly violates their sense of self autonomy and is tantamount to rape. By being between a rock and hard place - choose between their livelihoods and normal life to a medical procedure they don’t want is no choice at all.

These vaccines don’t stop transmission me not getting my vaccine has no impact on you. This makes these mandates not only cruel but without any scientific or logical basis.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:15 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:

You went right back to the “general welfare” argument that doesn’t hold water.

My kids received almost every vaccine on the US schedule. We’re not anti-vax. My kids didn’t get the vaccine for rotavirus, because 1) their risk of catching it was so low and 2) children in first-world nations aren’t at risk of dying from it. The vaccines we did get actually offer very good protection from catching the disease they were designed for. This one? Hard no.

There are two things that would have made me change my mind. The first is a longer period of time in testing. The second is if the SARS COV 2 virus mutates in a way that made it more than a mild illness for kids. That you would berate parents who have looked at the available information and chose to take a wait-and-see approach says a lot about you.

Maybe you should go jump on the Japan forum to yell at their citizens, who don’t take as many vaccines as we do here in the US. Tell them all about how they’re endangering the general welfare.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
1. In the USA these are just for public schools. Whereas these vaccine mandates are so broad they apply to all facets of life from employment to education to travel to entertainment.
2. In the USA if you’re in one of the 44/50 states those are guidelines not mandates. Philosophical exemptions exist.
These mandates are NOT so broad they apply to all facets of life. More histrionical embellishment to describe something that is optional to all. Those not wishing to be vaccinated are NOT FORCED to do so. Losing what is firmly established in the first place, as a "privilege" through refusal to be vaccinated is not forcing anyone, nor is it deeming them a second class citizen as you've stated.

These idiots are petitioning Canada's Fed. government to retract all mandates while only one facet of tall the mandates is within the Federal government's purview to do so. That of requiring truck driver's to be fully vaccinated along with everybody else to enter Canada.

These foolish few cannot enter the U.S.. How do they think Canada, by removing a mandate to re-enter Canada, will have any impact on a mandate enacted by the U.S. that prevents them from leaving in the first place?

Don't want to be vaccinated; fine, don't be, but do not expect to enjoy the granted "privilege" of visiting other countries if that is your choice.

There are any number of requirements/mandates of the exact same common sense nature for people desiring to immigrate to either of our countries, but yet no "human rights" objection on your part over those?

Old 02-13-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
These mandates are NOT so broad they apply to all facets of life. More histrionical embellishment to describe something that is optional to all. Those not wishing to be vaccinated are NOT FORCED to do so. Losing what is firmly established in the first place, as a "privilege" through refusal to be vaccinated is not forcing anyone, nor is it deeming them a second class citizen as you've stated.

These idiots are petitioning Canada's Fed. government to retract all mandates while only one facet of tall the mandates is within the Federal government's purview to do so. That of requiring truck driver's to be fully vaccinated along with everybody else to enter Canada.

These foolish few cannot enter the U.S.. How do they think Canada, by removing a mandate to re-enter Canada, will have any impact on a mandate enacted by the U.S. that prevents them from leaving in the first place?

Don't want to be vaccinated; fine, don't be but do not expect to enjoy the granted "privilege" of visiting other countries if that is your choice.

There are any number of requirements/mandates of the exact same common sense nature for people desiring to immigrate to either of our countries, but yet no "human rights" objection on your part over those?
Since most of these truckers make a living transporting goods across the border, these vaccine mandates strike at their livelihood. The US mandates are wrong as well. Need to be struck down.

And as I understand it, depending on the province you live in Canada, you need a vaccine to keep your job, go to the gym, go to a restaurant etc. explain to me how that doesn’t relegate someone to 2nd class status based on their medical choices ?

Old 02-13-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
You went right back to the “general welfare” argument that doesn’t hold water.

My kids received almost every vaccine on the US schedule. We’re not anti-vax. My kids didn’t get the vaccine for rotavirus, because 1) their risk of catching it was so low and 2) children in first-world nations aren’t at risk of dying from it. The vaccines we did get actually offer very good protection from catching the disease they were designed for. This one? Hard no.

There are two things that would have made me change my mind. The first is a longer period of time in testing. The second is if the SARS COV 2 virus mutates in a way that made it more than a mild illness for kids. That you would berate parents who have looked at the available information and chose to take a wait-and-see approach says a lot about you.

Maybe you should go jump on the Japan forum to yell at their citizens, who don’t take as many vaccines as we do here in the US. Tell them all about how they’re endangering the general welfare.
Why would I do that? I had nothing to do with electing their leaders. I expect my leaders to perform their duties with only mine and my fellow citizens welfare in mind.

Where is it stated by me in any post I'm berating parents? Are there some eight year old truck driver's desiring to cross the border I'm unaware of?

Perhaps you accusing me of doing something I'm not says a lot more about you?

I would never suggest you "go jump" on another country's forum in a flailing attempt to deflect from valid points being made.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Since most of these truckers make a living transporting goods across the border, these vaccine mandates strike at their livelihood. The US mandates are wrong as well. Need to be struck down.

And as I understand it, depending on the province you live in Canada, you need a vaccine to keep your job, go to the gym, go to a restaurant etc. explain to me how that doesn’t relegate someone to 2nd class status based on their medical choices ?
You may understand correctly that in the case of any number of jobs; exactly the same as in the U.S. with major employers such as American Airlines and Walmart https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...yees-rcna11049 Along with healthcare workers etc.
We disagree on what constitutes a "second class citizen" according to you. Your broad brush would include jobs that require a high school diploma, or having all arms and legs present, or peeing in a bottle to maintain their bus driver's, airline pilot's license. How about the required medical exam all these truckers must undergo and any required medical treatment they must accept to correct a condition presently rendering them ineligible?

"Since most of these truckers make a living transporting goods across the border",

Aaah, no they do not! Most "Truckers" perhaps but not "these" tools. Had you bothered to read all of the information available, you would have gleaned that a very significant number of the original group, including the organizers don't even hold CDL's.
ALSO: a large number of the Semi-tractors present in Ottawa did not have the USDOT number shown on their doors and have therefore never been legally able to cross the border to operate "in commerce" in the U.S.
ALSO: Any number of those protesters have no intention of crossing the border while driving a truck because they AREN'T truck drivers.

ALL relevant org's and associations representing ACTUAL CDL holders have decried this protest from the outset.
Another segment of those present in Canada's capital protesting Canada's Federal Government without even bothering to acquaint themselves with what authority it has over Provincial mandates are U.S. citizens.

So in the context with which you have applied the descriptor "most" as it relates to this issue; you are categorically WRONG!

"MOST" Canadian truck drivers are fully vaccinated, over 85% of them, and were gleefully crossing the border until these few performed their illegal blockade nonsense.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-13-2022 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies