Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 01:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Great information as usual. The USA has similar protocols in the House & Senate.

Lots of information flying around about the 5 Major Banks in Canada having “outages” and no access to funds.

The banks hit by the outage include Royal Bank of Canada, BMO, Scotiabank, TD Bank Canada, and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

Do you know anything about that?
First I've heard about it.

They haven't given a reason, but it has happened before.

In fact it's happened before in many places, including the US.

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-17-2022 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 02:19 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Until recently I just learned that Canada has a House of Commons. Does it have a House of Lords?
Yes, but not by that name. The Upper House in the Canadian Parliament is called the Senate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Lots of information flying around about the 5 Major Banks in Canada having “outages” and no access to funds.

The banks hit by the outage include Royal Bank of Canada, BMO, Scotiabank, TD Bank Canada, and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

Do you know anything about that?
Only what I've heard on the news, so your guess is as good as mine.

For what it's worth, I've haven't noticed any hiccups with my banking. Bought some groceries earlier, and had no problems with my debit card. I paid a bill the other day through my bank; everything worked just fine. But then, my charitable giving tends to be to inoffensive causes--the local hospital, the local animal shelter, and similar, which would raise no red flags.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yes, but not by that name. The Upper House in the Canadian Parliament is called the Senate.

Only what I've heard on the news, so your guess is as good as mine.

For what it's worth, I've haven't noticed any hiccups with my banking. Bought some groceries earlier, and had no problems with my debit card. I paid a bill the other day through my bank; everything worked just fine. But then, my charitable giving tends to be to inoffensive causes--the local hospital, the local animal shelter, and similar, which would raise no red flags.
I checked back and found that the “outages” were late afternoon and evening yesterday - nothing listed for today except for those bring doxed for giving a donation to the truckers. Of course when those donations were given, there was nothing to suggest that Trudeau would retroactively declare they were illegal and block all they Financial activities.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:47 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Canada is such a disappointment, a vast portion of the country has gone completely woke. It's only going to get worse and can only change if/when/ever the Marxists are purged from the University system. The Freedom Convoy of regular people just wanting to live their lives in peace and freedom is a huge wake up call to people still on the fence. We are in a cold civil war everywhere in the West, and people need to wake up and get on the good side instead of letting themselves be like a frog in slow boiling water
I think you have enough to worry about in NYC, without worrying about Canada. They have been asleep for so long, that they are in the dark ages.

It was nice while it lasted, Canada, but wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:03 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
For those who are not aware of this:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...bank-accounts/

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics and bold:

The minister, who is also Minister of Finance, said she has specific statistics about the number of frozen accounts that will be made public “in due course, and soon,” but are not being immediately disclosed as to avoid jeopardizing “operational actions.”

“I do want to assure you, and through you all Canadians, that action is being taken. We are seeing it and that action is going to increase in the coming days,” she said at a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday.
[[end quote]

With extreme difficulty, I am refraining from commenting on this.

However, I would like to know what she foresees might be the result is she did reveal the number of frozen accounts and how that might jeopardize operational actions.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:43 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
For those who are not aware of this:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...bank-accounts/

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics and bold:

The minister, who is also Minister of Finance, said she has specific statistics about the number of frozen accounts that will be made public “in due course, and soon,” but are not being immediately disclosed as to avoid jeopardizing “operational actions.”

“I do want to assure you, and through you all Canadians, that action is being taken. We are seeing it and that action is going to increase in the coming days,” she said at a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday.
[[end quote]

With extreme difficulty, I am refraining from commenting on this.

However, I would like to know what she foresees might be the result is she did reveal the number of frozen accounts and how that might jeopardize operational actions.
Your link says 404 Page Not Found

However, this one seems similar, and it does appear they have begun freezing accounts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/eme...ests-1.6353968

Old 02-17-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Your link says 404 Page Not Found

However, this one seems similar, and it does appear they have begun freezing accounts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/eme...ests-1.6353968
Just one of those things, I'm sure. Strange, though, how often this been occurring lately.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:30 AM

Just saw this:

https://thepostmillennial.com/canada...ccounts-frozen

QUOTE FROM LINK, my italics:

"You've just compared people who have may have donated to this to the same people who are funding maybe a terrorist. I just want to be clear here," the CTV News anchor asked. "This is really important. A lot of folks are just like 'look, I just don't like your vaccine mandates. And I donated to this, now it's illegal, should I be worried that the bank can freeze my account?' What's your answer?"

"Well, I think if you are a member of a pro-Trump movement who's donating hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of dollars to this kind of thing, they oughta be worried," Lametti said.
[end quote]

Old 02-18-2022, 08:41 AM

6,383 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just saw this:

https://thepostmillennial.com/canada...ccounts-frozen

QUOTE FROM LINK, my italics:

"You've just compared people who have may have donated to this to the same people who are funding maybe a terrorist. I just want to be clear here," the CTV News anchor asked. "This is really important. A lot of folks are just like 'look, I just don't like your vaccine mandates. And I donated to this, now it's illegal, should I be worried that the bank can freeze my account?' What's your answer?"

"Well, I think if you are a member of a pro-Trump movement who's donating hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of dollars to this kind of thing, they oughta be worried," Lametti said.
[end quote]
I didn't think it was possible, but TDS appears even worse in Canada.

I wonder what sort of outrage there would be if you replaced the word "Trump" with "BLM".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies