Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 09:05 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I used to live in her district when I lived on LI. When I was young it was a Republican stronghold. Now it leans blue. However it would not shock me if it went red in this election. Nassau county elected a Republican and got rid of the Democrat county executive. Tom Suozzi also in Nassau county announced he was not running. He barely squeaked by in the last election.
I have a feeling more than a few so-called “safe” Democrat politicians are in for a rude awakening. I suspect the retiring Democrat agrees with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 09:07 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well you just proved my point of why we need moderates

Hate to have to lay some reality down for you but Trump is as moderate as it gets. In fact, he spent more time of his life as a registered democrat than a republican. He also donated to many democrats, including Hillary Clinton.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:35 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I used to live in her district when I lived on LI. When I was young it was a Republican stronghold. Now it leans blue. However it would not shock me if it went red in this election. Nassau county elected a Republican and got rid of the Democrat county executive. Tom Suozzi also in Nassau county announced he was not running. He barely squeaked by in the last election.
Ummm since when is winning by 12.5% barely squeaking by?

Old 02-15-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
She ain’t “done”.
She’ll do something dumb like run for Governor, AG, or…President.
Typical career cronie.
An Attorney General run would not surprise me. Rice was the Nassau County DA prior to being in Congress.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:17 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
An Attorney General run would not surprise me. Rice was the Nassau County DA prior to being in Congress.
We get it. According to you the Democrats will hold all 30 seats. Lol.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
We get it. According to you the Democrats will hold all 30 seats. Lol.
When did I say that? I wasn't even commenting on a race for the district, just mentioned what I could see Rice running for potentially in the future after another poster mentioned she could run for something else.

With that said, while this could be a competitive race, it is one I expect the Democrats to hold. I am fairly familiar with it as I previously worked in the district and live a few miles from it. I fully expect the GOP to take House at this point though it is still early. However, the bulk of those seats are going to be districts that are closer to being a swing seat than this one. Democrats have held it since 1996, it isn't in an area trending Republican, the last time it was open was another GOP wave year in 2014 and it was held. It could certainly be competitive and one the GOP will target, but it is difficult to flip.

Last edited by Smash255; 02-16-2022 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 08:02 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It’s all speculation at this point. And that’s one of the rumors. Hey, maybe she is done. I wouldn’t blame her if she just wanted to slip back into the private sector, but I doubt it. I think she has other more ambitious plans.
Republicans did do pretty well on Strong Island this past November. But LI is a poop show no matter who the majority is. Google corruption and LI is the first results lol
(Waiting for someone to fact check my sarcasm and say I’m making up the google thing haha)

Old 02-16-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’s all speculation at this point. And that’s one of the rumors. Hey, maybe she is done. I wouldn’t blame her if she just wanted to slip back into the private sector, but I doubt it. I think she has other more ambitious plans.
Republicans did do pretty well on Strong Island this past November. But LI is a poop show no matter who the majority is. Google corruption and LI is the first results lol
(Waiting for someone to fact check my sarcasm and say I’m making up the google thing haha)
It certainly is possible she doesn't run for anything after this and goes back into the Private sector. An AG run though would make logical sense. She spent almost 10 years as Nassau County DA prior to running for Congress and did previously run for AG (she came in 2nd in the Democratic Primary in 2010 about 2.5 points behind Schneiderman)

With that said, an AG run would likely be four years away as it would probably be a bit too late to make a run for that now (and if she intended to run this year I would have expected that to be in her retirement announcement)

Last year was certainly a good year for the GOP on Long Island, no question about that, whether it translates into a Midterm which has higher turnout remains to be seen. It is worth pointing out that while winning the CE race, Blakeman likely did lose the district against Curran last year (albeit narrowly). Blakeman won by less than 1 point and the district is generally a few points more Democratic than the county as a whole. Donnelly certainly did defeat Kaminsky in the district, however.

Speaking of corruption, Mangano's sentencing is expected next month so that could be interesting.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:52 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/...-towel-n448784

Hopefully each and every Democrat in the federal government retires. We'd all be better off.
"Under New York’s new redistricting map, Rice’s district would reportedly be 55/43 Democratic."

Didn't some dems on here say only the repubs "gerrymandered"?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:56 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Don't mean a damn thing. Don't forget, the Republicans that have been in power for a long time like the Bush dynasty, Mitch McConnel, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, etc were RINO's, and they are the reason why the far left whack jobs been able to get into power so much. And the democrats leaving now could be replaced by radical crazies like AOC or Lori Lightfoot.
the Independents decide November elections. It's been this way since at least Reagan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies