Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2022, 07:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times

Advertisements

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...kade-ends.html

Looks like 4 of them got conspiracy to murder charges along with all the weapon charges. How serious is this for Canada? I know what it is here for folks in the us, but not as familiar with Canadian law. How common are weapons charges? Because I know the laws are significantly different for weapon ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 01:03 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
It is serious. As you no doubt are aware, Canada has no Second Amendment. So owning guns is a privilege, not a right. Regardless, many Canadians own guns.

With that said, guns are as common as anything here in southern Alberta (note that I am only an hour or so north of Coutts, where the accuseds and their weapons were arrested and seized, respectively). Long guns are popular with hunters and target shooters, and with farmers too--pretty much every farmer has a varmint rifle. Handguns are perfectly legal also, as long as one is willing to jump through the additional hoops needed to own one.

In spite of the many law-abiding gun owners here in southern Alberta, weapons charges are, sadly, common. At least once a week, there is news of a drugs-and-gun bust in Lethbridge and surrounding area. Mostly, the guns are there to protect the drugs; but the guns are definitely not your average farmer's varmint rifle--they are often illegal under Canadian law (for example, you may not own an AR-15), and so both guns and drugs are seized and the owners charged criminally.

So it was with the firearms seized in the Coutts bust. From the photos I've seen, few of the guns seized were legal under Canadian law; and the goods seized with them (flak vests, etc.) had markings on them indicating that the cache of everything belonged to a white-supremacist organization.

Despite that, there are no hate crime charges. But "conspiracy to commit murder" seems reasonable under the circumstances--you don't use what was seized to shoot varmints; you use them to shoot people. And you'll need protection, such as a flak vest, if there is any return fire. You wouldn't need any such things at a peaceful protest, which the protesters were claiming it was. These people brought illegal guns, and they were prepared to use them against other people.

This matter is being prosecuted through the Lethbridge courthouse. I may just head there and sit in the public gallery when these accuseds' matter is before the court. It might get interesting.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:23 AM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Its gotten to the point where improperly parking a car in Canada carries a heavier sentence than openly stealing $800 worth of things from a store in California.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:11 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...kade-ends.html

Looks like 4 of them got conspiracy to murder charges along with all the weapon charges. How serious is this for Canada? I know what it is here for folks in the us, but not as familiar with Canadian law. How common are weapons charges? Because I know the laws are significantly different for weapon ownership.
Any canadian perspective on the charges of conspiracy to murder and weapons charges on the trucker protesters?

I’m not Canadian of course — but I expect that the Mayor of Coutts is Canadian and so are the Mounties who made the arrest. They both said these men are NOT members of the Freedom Trucker Convoy.

That said, Conspiracy to commit Murder is always serious,.

PICTURED: One of the 11 men arrested carrying HUGE cache of semi-automatic weapons at Canadian border crossing hours before Trudeau's draconian declaration of emergency: Mounties admit they are NOT part of Freedom Convoy PICTURED: One of the 11 men arrested carrying HUGE cache of semi-automatic weapons at Canadian border crossing hours before Trudeau's draconian declaration of emergency: Mounties admit they are NOT part of Freedom Convoy —UK Daily Mail

The mayor of Coutts told DailyMail.com that those arrests were not members of the Freedom Convoy, despite them being initially tied to the ongoing anti-vaccine protests.

'The people who were actually involved in the arrests were not part of the blockade group,' he said. 'They were outsiders.'

The mayor described the individuals as outside agitators who came to town after the protest began.

‘As time went on, the protest began to attract people from the outside,’ he said. ‘They were starting to attract the undesirable element. The people who were actually involved in the arrests were not part of the blockade group. They were outsiders.’

Indications are that this group of men are with a far right wing group called Diagolon Coutts, Alberta is over a thousand miles from the Freedom .convoy in Ottawa. They have their own agenda.
Analysis of guns and ammunition seized near Coutts, Alta. blockade - CTV News%

Old 02-17-2022, 04:23 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,148 times
As an American, I find the Canadian response pretty pathetic.

It was 11 men and what looks like 12 rifles, 1 shotgun, 2 pistols, and 4 bulletproof vests. About half of those rifles are literally hunting rifles.

I have multiple friends who individually own more guns than that. Pic-below is just your average day in America.

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uplo...0&h=628&crop=1

But in Canada those men would be charged with conspiracy to murder. Why else would you carry a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies