Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2022, 10:56 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
hey kjg,
Welcome to the club!!

Glad to be a member. At least no one can blame me for taking their money/homes/retirement income, etc. I'm not on social security and I'm too young for medicaid. I have no health issues so don't even go to the doctor. I worked hard all my life but have never made more than $48,000/year.

Just because we were all born during a certain time period, doesn't mean we all have the same outcome in life. I read some of these posts and I fluctuate between being jealous of the posters talking about all their money and angry at the posters talking about how all boomers are selfish and greedy.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:11 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Yawn, and now a few more pages complete with dissertations not worth responding to (especially since the same posters ignore any counterpoints to their comments) and I will ask the same question to the people that continue to rant....

Exactly what do you want people born during the time in question to do for you?
Stop acting like they're levitating above the rest of us.

That's it. That's my main issue.

I don't care if they were successful, as I said, had you read it. I don't care if they had luck or had it easier.

I do care when they act like everyone else is 'lazy' and 'not working hard enough'. They don't have a damn clue what they're talking about.

Why is that so hard for you all to comprehend?

Old 02-18-2022, 02:13 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,427 times
Everyone has to blame another group for their lack of success in life.

Blacks blame whites and the younger people blame the boomers.

This type of game will likely never end.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:10 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
I skipped through this thread, but no. My mother is a boomer. She has so many problems with her passwords that she's about to pull her hair out....but it is NOT her fault. I go over there and look through her stuff, the problems she has with her phone are legit.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:44 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Glad to be a member. At least no one can blame me for taking their money/homes/retirement income, etc. I'm not on social security and I'm too young for medicaid. I have no health issues so don't even go to the doctor. I worked hard all my life but have never made more than $48,000/year.

Just because we were all born during a certain time period, doesn't mean we all have the same outcome in life. I read some of these posts and I fluctuate between being jealous of the posters talking about all their money and angry at the posters talking about how all boomers are selfish and greedy.
I am so with you on this. For the first time in my life, I'm finally earning more dollars - right when I'm just a few yrs away from retirement age. I'll keep working though, because I can't afford to retire.

I used to take offense at those who lump together all boomers in a negative light; now I pretty much shrug it off. They aren't worth my energy, and most of us know the real truth...especially those of us who did what we had to do, when we had to do it.

You raised your children, who are better off financially than you; don't doubt for one minute that you didn't play a part in that. I hope they appreciate it, because that's big.

Wonder how many posters throwing shade in this thread are the ungrateful children of boomers who sacrificed more than their kids care to know.

Old 02-18-2022, 04:45 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Like everyone loves to talk about how awful and greedy they were, how they hogged all the wealth, power, etc. etc. But do you think they really deserve all of the criticism?

Also, ironically enough, their succeeding generation, Gen X very rarely gets talked about, good or bad lol. But Millenials do.
These are usually characterizations thrown about by people who have never done anything with their lives or have/had no plan on what do to do with their lives. If you don't get an education, plan a career or a trade by which you can support yourself, and a family, then this is on them. It is no one else's fault that you are a loser. Nor does it mean that the person who is wealthy, either by $$, power, or both, has taken advantage of anyone to get there. This is the false narrative that you're made to believe. Someone else took what you would otherwise have had. No. And everyone in life can make of it what they will, if they put the work in. If some people want to accumulate wealth (or whatever), that is not for you to judge.
Get off your duff and get busy.
Boomers are retiring. Plenty of opportunity out there.

Old 02-18-2022, 04:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Like everyone loves to talk about how awful and greedy they were, how they hogged all the wealth, power, etc. etc. But do you think they really deserve all of the criticism?

Also, ironically enough, their succeeding generation, Gen X very rarely gets talked about, good or bad lol. But Millenials do.
I hadn't noticed. Is this something recent? Most of my fellow boomers are dying off.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:44 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Stop acting like they're levitating above the rest of us.

That's it. That's my main issue.

I don't care if they were successful, as I said, had you read it. I don't care if they had luck or had it easier.

I do care when they act like everyone else is 'lazy' and 'not working hard enough'. They don't have a damn clue what they're talking about.

Why is that so hard for you all to comprehend?
There is no "THEY". And trying to stereotype an entire group is ignorant and bush league. I think Mathguy said it best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are certain segments of disrespectful younger and older people that like to label entire groups a certain way and then assign a label to them in one tidy lump.

It's a jerk move.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:24 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
This topic is interesting to me because across my kids and their friends, many of my wife's jr. employees and many of my jr. employees we know a good number of young well educated professionals and skilled workers.

It's a biased view for sure because these people are generally in the top maybe 1//3 of achievers etc.etc. However, I don't detect much of the wholesale crying, fingerpointing and general cluelessness that we see in threads like this and elsewhere across various media.

One thing I will note, and my wife agrees, managers and owners must be ultra-careful with bits like performance reviews. It's fair to say younger people as a group do not tolerate constructive criticism well at all.

I read the other week and have read bits like this before that millennials are the most self reported mentally ill, drug addled (drug death rates per the cadre are almost unbelievable), anti-work, anti-career focus, anti-kid, educationally/career bifurcated large group in our nation's history. IOW there is a huge chasm between the winners and losers in the group.

However, and it's too early to tell for sure but it appears the youngest millennials and the oldest Zoomers are bucking these trends.
"It's fair to say younger people as a group do not tolerate constructive criticism well at all."

Hence they earned the name "snowflakes".

They are the "everybody gets a trophy", NO one fails, etc. generation. Spoiled little brats who always get their way.

Any smart boss will NOT bow down to them. FIRE the 1st one to show this and the others will step in line!

Old 02-19-2022, 05:38 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Do you think the Boomers deserve as much flack as they get?"

I just consider the source and ignore them!

People, mostly on the left, care way too much on what others "think"!
"Like everyone loves to talk about how awful and greedy they were, how they hogged all the wealth, power, etc. etc."

Being a "boomer" myself, I resent the claim.

With a high school education and a few years in the service, a few college course IN THE EVENING, through working hard, getting promotions to management, etc. I managed to work a lot of overtime in order to make MORE money.

Many today don't even want to work 40 hours,

Then later I stared by OWN business on the side AFTER regular work hours and many Saturday and Sundays.

My my wife was full time self employed putting in well OVER 40 hours.

So yes, we DID "climb" the "wealth" ladder a bit BUT, we WORKED and EARNED every penny of it!

Way too many today do NOT have a "work" ethic and want everything handed to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies