Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2022, 09:23 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Any idea what percentage of the Black male population over the age of 16 is either incarcerated or on parole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 09:32 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Any idea what percentage of the Black male population over the age of 16 is either incarcerated or on parole?
For Black males ages 18 and older, 1 in 15.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
2nd reply.

Source for that 1 in 15 statistic: https://nij.ojp.gov/media/image/19511

Old 02-19-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Overall, your honesty is appreciated. For the highlighted, consider this 30 yrs ago...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs...169-story.html
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then (I) look around and see someone white and feel relieved."
Columnist Mike Royko quoted Jesse Jackson. Essentially, Jackson, who is Black, is afraid of Blacks.

Granted, if Jackson was in a group of Black businessmen or police officers or Boy Scouts, he would not be so afraid, so we can say that his fear is conditional. But that conditional does not alleviate Jackson's general cautiousness. Would Jackson feel the same if we substitute 'white' for 'Asian' in that quote? Probably yes. How many Black social and cultural leaders feel the same way? Unknown because they have personal security who would not put them in any environment where they would risk having such a fear. So for Jackson, and probably millions of ordinary Blacks, it is better to have a general fear of your fellow Blacks until proven otherwise, and proven on a case by case basis. This is a cultural disaster.

Am Asian and even though am male, we Asians are not known for being physically intimidating, so I still exercise caution whenever am in any urban setting regardless of whether am among Whites, Asians, or Blacks. But my 80 yrs old mother have no choice but to be outright fearful. She is not a racist. Our neighborhood in Vegas is a mix of peoples and one Black neighbor helped her several times with her house when I was away. And given the prominence of Blacks on Asians crimes in the news, she cannot help but feel the same conditional fear as Jackson did.

So here is the deal...

The US is not the only multi-ethnic country in the world, but we are the most prominent, and that prominence came mostly from our own horn blowing of how great we are at being an immigrant country which implied our version of being multi-ethnic works and works better than anyone else's version. The US cannot go anywhere else but being an immigrant country. It is not as if the US was mono-ethnic in the first place, then became multi-ethnic, so now somehow the people have a chance at returning to that previous state. This means the burden of making the American people, of all races and ethnicity, works rests on everyone's shoulders.

At the risk of being insensitive, what Jesse Jackson said thirty yrs ago has not changed so like it or not, it is not the burden of other peoples to punish themselves for being 'racist' if they have any fear for their lives the same way Jackson did and most likely STILL fearful. It means that now Blacks must take the lead in self police your community. You and I have gone this round before and I will not change my stance regarding that self policing demand. It is not a 'racist' demand but a social one. It is needed because we, as a whole people, have nowhere else to go.
I know about Jesse Jackson's comment. I also know how it's being used. I can't help but have alot of skepticism towards it. Jesse Jackson gets called a race baiter all the time. However, when it comes to getting someone to understand why Black men are distrusted, that comment gets pulled out.

If anyone is scared of a Black businessman or Black Boy Scout, that is just stupid. I get being scared of a hood rat/thug of any race. I don't get scared when I see Black businessmen or Black Boy Scouts. I was at the store tonight, ran into a Black male. We were there for the same reason: Pick up something fast and then go home. I wasn't scared of him and he wasn't scared of me. We just nodded and "what's up". He was dressed in casual clothes. No fear, no apprehension, nothing.

I disagree with the assessment of treating every Black man I see as "guilty until proven innocent". And this is coming from someone who was the victim of a violent crime at the hands of a Black man. If I'm in a bad neighborhood, I'm going to have my eyes peeled for everything and everybody, regardless of race. I make it a point to differentiate between regular Black people and hood rats. I also think about my surroundings. It is a cultural disaster for Black people to fear each other. It's also a personal problem for me if I have to wonder if anyone distrusts me based on me being Black.

I know many Asian men aren't physically intimidating when it comes to size. I also understand what happened in 1992, when rioters targeted Korean-owned stores. Many of the men started buying guns and shot looters. I'm not a physically imposing person myself. One reason I keep a 9 mm in my car whenever I go traveling somewhere. I also keep a 9mm on me wherever I'm allowed to.

I look at America based on its history. America has attracted alot of immigrants, who chose to come to America. America also has the dreaded history of slavery. Blacks didn't choose to come here, but were brought here by force. Black Americans have tried to make the best of it, with not the best results. There have been several clashes between some immigrant groups and Black Americans. Cincinnati is one example of his. During a few riots, some Irish immigrants attacked Blacks. In a race riots in Newburgh, NY, some Arab immigrants attacked Black laborers at a brickyard. Now, there are Black people attacking immigrants.

I do find your last statement to be insensitive. This is how I see things. I feel like Black people have always been the ones who had to prove themselves, all the time. This has been going on forever. Black people have had to police themselves a long time ago. Now, when it comes to policing one's self, this is how I see it. I can only police myself. I can only control myself and my behavior. I cannot control how someone else behaves. The only things I can do....

1) Defend myself when I'm attacked.
2) Call the police whenever crimes take place (and that's what I've done).

Demanding that I get other people who happen to look like me to behave, I don't have enough power for that. We live in an individualistic society and many people tend to look out for self first. I can only do my best. And there are many people who aren't going to listen.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:25 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
I hear this and disagree.

Its not 'a poor mans' mentality to commit heinous Crime against innocent civilians whom you don't even know...to commit these types of crime you must have 'No Conscience and no Values.'

the problem is 'The GANGSTER mentality largely adopted by disenfranchised Blacks.' Its promoted and Glamorized in Black Clubs, Neighborhoods, Parents, Friends and Schools. This is the problem...
'I'm a Bad MOFO. I do what i want when i want to'...~

I'm a WASP (male). I grew up in a Foster home in Miami. I managed to make it out of Poverty and was one of the few to make it out of the hood in one piece. Most of my foster brothers/sisters wound up in Jail, or OD on Drugs. Its a Surreal moment when you see your foster brother whom you used to Ride Bicycles with now behind bars doing 20 yrs. Its a Surreal moment when you see your foster sister whom was once Beautiful now a Crack Addict with no chance of a decent life in her future.

I've got quite an education and experience with all kinds of cultures. I've traveled extensively and seen poverty in S.America, Latin America and the Islands of the Caribbean.

The problem in the USA is 'the Gangster Mentality' (which is not Germain to Blacks only). Its a Mentality that was largely adopted by Hood-rats as 'the only way to live is be a Gangster. If i'm a Gangster, i'll get respect, i'll make some Bank, I'll drive a nice Ride and i'll get some Trim.'

That's the way they think....PERIOD (you're Naive if you think otherwise). There is no thought of growing old, no thought of getting a real job, no thought of having a wife, nor of Raising Kids.

Gang-Bangers who commit these outrageous acts of violence are out to prove something. They want to be counted as one of the BAD MOFOs not be messed with. The more notches on their gun handle, the more respect they have back home. Gang Bangers get more money, more sex and have more clout then their law-abiding counter parts. Law Enforcement's hands are tied. There's not enough Jails to house them and even the DA's are giving up.

The prolific problem has been exacerbated by loose laws, liberal DA's, over-run broken Justice system, not enough Jails and lack of the Death Penalty. Criminals HAVE NO FEAR and that is a dangerous phenomenon to battle.

Many consider it an honor to go to prison. Unlike other Cultures, The Black Culture does not look down upon their Brethren that get sent to Jail. For them, its like going to college...get better educated at being a Gangster and come out and do it again.

The Justice System has turned into a Revolving door of Degenerates who come and go as they please. There is no penalty for those who are in gangs and go into and outta prison. Its just another Room to stay in...

It does not look promising from where i stand.

On the Flip side is Government which has created a whole Industry in response; The Prison Industrial complex LINK, where the only jobs the Country can create are those of Clerks, Cops, Judges, Probation officers, Prison Construction Cos., and Mutual Funds that invest in this SICK SYSTEM.

And its not just here in the States, but all over the Globe. 'The gangster Mentality' is prevalent in S.America, Latin America, Africa and even Europe.

Countries in the past have eliminated their 'Bad Seed' through War. Gather the poor, the ignorant and the criminals and give them a purpose to kill each other. Light a match and turn them loose. THAT'S IT.

Its a Mad System that has been used for the last 100 yrs effectively by the powers that be. Just look at the Facts. (but i degress into another area of Debate).

If there is a SOLUTION to be found, its not on the Near Horizon. I have little faith in the Corrupt Government that has Metastasized into some Sick Corporatocracy that only Feeds the 1% centers.

Myself i think this; The Cops are not going to save you, nor the Justice System. There is no God that will intervene. Better learn how to protect yourself. Keep your family and friends close. Be smart and stay one step ahead...Stay out of trouble...make it out of the City...it will get worse long before it gets better....

Excellent post! Congratulations on making it out alive and thriving!

Old 02-19-2022, 10:32 PM

At this point, I don't think it would be a good idea to move to the Bay Area or New York City. I won't be moving to those particular places right now.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
And it does worse dealing with the rate of black violence towards other races and their own.

According to the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics criminal victimization report published in 2019, 182,230 Asians in America were victims of violent crime in 2018. Black offenders were the perpetrators in a whopping 27.5% of those cases—the highest of any racial group. Given that black Americans make up only 12% of the population, that means black offenders on a per capita basis commit more than five times as many violent attacks on Asians as whites or Hispanics.

Are you suggesting the over 45,000 attacks on Asians by blacks in 2018 were mostly due to mental illness? I don’t think mental illness has much to do with it. Guess it depends on how one defines mental illness. I’ve heard the term culture used quite a bit when it comes to black violence.
Reading through this thread, I see references to historic tensions between blacks and Asians, blacks and Jews, blacks and Italians, blacks and Hispanics, blacks and whites, blacks and other blacks, etc.

Do blacks have any allies? It would appear that, no, they don't. Perhaps they need to look inward, collectively, and try to figure out why they have such poor relations with all other people.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 02-19-2022 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: punctuation repair

Old 02-19-2022, 11:40 PM

Personally, this is what I make of the media not speaking on Black on Asian crimes more. I'm not going to say we shouldn't be talking about the violence. I'm just going to say if this conversation gets taken nationwide, I have alot to lose. I've always felt like if I could go somewhere, a place where Black Americans don't really have a bad reputation in the modern-day, that would be great. If this gets taken nationwide, I'll have nowhere to go. I'll have to doubly prove myself/justify myself alot more. Just based on the numbers, it will mean me taking a loss.

For the media, I don't think it will do any good to talk about such things. I notice the media doesn't talk about the Hispanic on Black violence that took place in Los Angeles for quite some time, and some Black people leaving California altogether. The media in general does not speak on minority on minority violence very much. And if it was spoken on much more, in the national media, I suspect things would get ugly real fast. Some Hispanic people would end up having to deal with more distrust directed towards them. I'm talking about law-abiding Hispanic persons.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I feel like this thread is being used, by some, as a way to vent anti-Black anger. And then there are also some people who are so caught up in their own arguments that they aren't paying close attention. I never said all mentally ill people commit murder. I mentioned that the most recent incidents involved mentally ill individuals.
You get this feeling often, don't you?

Whenever people post indisputable facts that are embarrassing to blacks, you grudgingly admit they might be true, then add that you suspect that they are only mentioned to "vent anti-Black anger"

A short while later the thread goes "poof!"

Maybe these facts are posted simply to prove what is being asserted.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
You get this feeling often, don't you?

Whenever people post indisputable facts that are embarrassing to blacks, you grudgingly admit they might be true, then add that you suspect that they are only mentioned to "vent anti-Black anger"

A short while later the thread goes "poof!"

Maybe these facts are posted simply to prove what is being asserted.
Okay then. How would you want me to react to such subjects like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies