Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 11:47 AM

1,134 posts, read 402,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Apart from an occasional listen on NPR, I rarely watch the news. Not even Asian people that I personally know are talking about this much.
Just to be clear, do you mean they're not talking about violence against Asians in general, or not talking about who some of the perpetrators are?

The local news in Los Angeles has been covering a number of large rallies organized by Asian groups and social events to speak out against violence against Asians. It's a very big issue, at least in major cities like Los Angeles. I see it in news out of New York as well. I suppose it does depend on which cities are examined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 11:48 AM

16,418 posts, read 10,458,871 times
Quote:
Finding out here, it comes with it also comes with "oh great. I wonder how many people want to talk about how bad Black people are".
The problem is two-fold, and comes from opposite sides. On the one hand, harping about "bad black people" unfairly tars the large majority of black people who are not bad. But on the other hand, sweeping the problem under the rug out of a desire not to give offense denies the reality that black people are responsible for a disproportionate share of these crimes.

The thing to note is that the large majority of most street crime is committed by one single group: poor young urban black men. Remove any ONE of these traits and criminality drops sharply. Try it, but just to show that it's not just a racial thing, leave "black" in. How many Asians are assaulted by MIDDLE-CLASS young urban black men? Few if any. How about poor MIDDLE-AGED urban black men? Poor young SUBURBAN black men? Poor young urban black WOMEN? In any of these permutations, very few of such people randomly attack Asian people, or commit other crime. But lest we ignore the role of skin color in this, consider how many Asians are attacked by poor young urban WHITE men. Again, very few. There's something about the intersection of those five traits that causes criminality to skyrocket, and we do ourselves no favors by concealing this fact.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 7,845,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
And yet, it's surprising to me how many Asians consistently vote Democrat. Hello?
It'll be interesting if this changes in the coming years and by how much:
https://theliberalpatriot.substack.c...ng-asian-voter

The Hispanic vote is also wavering their support for the Dems.
https://wcfcourier.com/opinion/colum...33688f5f2.html

Add to this a possible 2% increase by the AA vote into the Rep. column and the Dems are indeed in trouble.

Last edited by john3232; 02-17-2022 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-17-2022, 12:04 PM

2,367 posts, read 903,615 times
The United Nations is very concerned about violence against Asians in the United States. This trend of random attacks on Asians is now known internationally. Any time something like this happens in a certain country, people ask who are the perpetrators. Then they look at the reports. It's not possible to cover it up. Everyone knows it's happening.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:10 PM

72,858 posts, read 62,330,583 times
Quote:
And yet, it's surprising to me how many Asians consistently vote Democrat. Hello?
Voting Democrat has nothing to do with IQ.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:17 PM

72,858 posts, read 62,330,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRider View Post
Just to be clear, do you mean they're not talking about violence against Asians in general, or not talking about who some of the perpetrators are?

The local news in Los Angeles has been covering a number of large rallies organized by Asian groups and social events to speak out against violence against Asians. It's a very big issue, at least in major cities like Los Angeles. I see it in news out of New York as well. I suppose it does depend on which cities are examined.
Both actually. Among Asians that I know, it's rare to hear from them regarding violence against Asians or the perpetrators.

I've only been out to Los Angeles once, and I was heavy supervised. I didn't go to the rough areas, and stuck to out tourist areas. It was 2012 as well.

So far, I keep hearing about this violence taking place in California and New York. I live in the South and hardly ever hear about it.

8,302 posts, read 2,926,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yeah I understand.

I moved in with my fiance two years ago when Covid became a pandemic in the U.S. Safety is never a concern for me.

Your second bold, I know a few Asians and I don't think they really believe black people are bad. I think most sane people know that there are bad apples in every race.

I also agree with the poster above who said politicians cannot and won't make the street safer for all of us.

Tough situation.
There are bad apples in every race but blacks by far have the highest percentage of violent offenders. USDOJ, FBISTATS. Just the way it is.

And if like you say politicians cannot and won’t make the street safer for all of us, which I agree with, than we have to do whatever it takes to protect ourselves. That includes warning others of dangerous situations even at the expense of being labeled the dreaded overused watered down term “racist”.

I don’t care who’s “racist”, whichever of the dozens of definitions of the word you prefer to use, as long as they keep their hands to themselves.

6,464 posts, read 2,874,164 times
Quote:
. Finding out here, it comes with it also comes with "oh great. I wonder how many people want to talk about how bad Black people are".
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
But on the other hand, sweeping the problem under the rug out of a desire not to give offense denies the reality that black people are responsible for a disproportionate share of these crimes.

The thing to note is that the large majority of most street crime is committed by one single group: poor young urban black men. There's something about the intersection of those five traits that causes criminality to skyrocket, and we do ourselves no favors by concealing this fact.

I think a big part is more about the "Poor" and even "Urban" tags you noted.

These attacks are not being done Because they are Black. That sounds absurd.

Like you say, we don't see Middle-Class Blacks doing this, etc.

We should definitely address it, I just don't want to go in with that predisposition.

At the same time , we can't just address it as a Poor Black problem. So it's ok to disregard the other white, asian, hispanic poor because they aren't disproportionately violent?

I know it's been said before, but there is a thug culture involved( baring mental illness) that perpetuates it. And nobody can change that but themselves. It needs to evolve out on it's own somehow.

So in leiu of that, I'd be happy if we beef up law and order and get the mentally ill off the streets and into facilities where they won't be a danger to others.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:22 PM

16,418 posts, read 10,458,871 times
Quote:
Quote:
Voting Democrat has nothing to do with IQ.
The Democrats are the party of "defund the police" and of coddling criminals and enabling crime by such means as raising the threshold of felony theft and softening prosecution of criminals; they support the violent BLM movement and favor "affirmative action" university admissions. All of these things work against the interests and even the safety of Asian people. So why do they keep voting for Democrats in such large proportions? What is it that the Democrats offer Asians that outweighs all of these negative things?

Voting Democrat may not be correlated with IQ, but it certainly is correlated (in an inverse way) with common sense.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:22 PM

13,496 posts, read 7,845,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The problem is two-fold, and comes from opposite sides. On the one hand, harping about "bad black people" unfairly tars the large majority of black people who are not bad. But on the other hand, sweeping the problem under the rug out of a desire not to give offense denies the reality that black people are responsible for a disproportionate share of these crimes.

The thing to note is that the large majority of most street crime is committed by one single group: poor young urban black men. Remove any ONE of these traits and criminality drops sharply. Try it, but just to show that it's not just a racial thing, leave "black" in. How many Asians are assaulted by MIDDLE-CLASS young urban black men? Few if any. How about poor MIDDLE-AGED urban black men? Poor young SUBURBAN black men? Poor young urban black WOMEN? In any of these permutations, very few of such people randomly attack Asian people, or commit other crime. But lest we ignore the role of skin color in this, consider how many Asians are attacked by poor young urban WHITE men. Again, very few. There's something about the intersection of those five traits that causes criminality to skyrocket, and we do ourselves no favors by concealing this fact.
It's an taboo subject which few want to touch. The potental backlash, loss of a job or whatever is often too risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies