Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 10:21 AM

4,230 posts, read 2,426,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Oats is also a finite resource and one day we would have run out of oats to feed horses. However as time passed, technology moved on. We did not have led lights in the 70s and solar has continued to improve.

It cannot be looked at in isolation. What we should have is a flexibility without demonizing any industry. For some reason oil is evil but strip mining for rare earths is no problem.
I think we should leave as much of the earth's resources unexploited as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 10:23 AM

10,073 posts, read 6,653,450 times
I was taught in school that Pluto was a planet, we have an upcoming ice age, acid rain will kill us, theres a hole in the ozone from hairspray, there was a genome change and my great ancestors were monkeys and we were going to have no oil by 2010.

Obviously none of that is true and a new crop of lies are being told to our children. Also there are estimates of enough oil for 150+ years, coal and natural gas for a millennium.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:24 AM

77,814 posts, read 59,987,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I have to admit, a quick research verifies your info, basically speaking. But why isn't Biden bragging about this? Or is he too afraid to step on the toes of the Climate fanatics?
Because he can't point to having done anything to cause this.

It's just more drilling because of higher prices and he surely doesn't want to attract attention to higher prices.

Definitely has to watch out for the far left being mad about more drilling but I think more than anything he just doesn't want to remind people of how much gas prices have gone up in a year.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:26 AM

5,890 posts, read 2,164,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
What I don't understand is why aren't the State Senators from states like Montana and North Dakota screaming about this? As well as all the others out there that can see the Common Sense of it.

The way I understand it is that prices got so low when Trump was in that they became too inefficient. Well, I believe we have passed that point. And the future sure is not looking any better.
Unless we have some oil tycoons, drillers, operators, or scientists that are on top of this we would never know.

I would say this, I have not seen anyone from the oil industry screaming that someone has cut back their pumping. I know they want to drill in the Gulf but Florida is the state holding that, otherwise, there are no reports or interviews out there.

We are just spitballing here, we don't know.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:30 AM

10,073 posts, read 6,653,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because he can't point to having done anything to cause this.

It's just more drilling because of higher prices and he surely doesn't want to attract attention to higher prices.

Definitely has to watch out for the far left being mad about more drilling but I think more than anything he just doesn't want to remind people of how much gas prices have gone up in a year.
Oil is based on futures years out not what is presently being drilled. The expectation is that oil drilling will be less going forward, due to non-renewal of oil contracts, restrictions of oil pumping in the gulf etc.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:36 AM

16,948 posts, read 12,500,388 times
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...s=WCRFPUS2&f=W

Oil production actually declined Mar 2020. not when Biden took office. Biden is a potato, but this is a sin of omission by Biden.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:36 AM

Hey guys, this is a good resource.

Higher oil prices = more rigs.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=43796

Old 02-17-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Oil is based on futures years out not what is presently being drilled. The expectation is that oil drilling will be less going forward, due to non-renewal of oil contracts, restrictions of oil pumping in the gulf etc.
+1

You are right, drilling is a longer term play and I wasn't careful with my terminology.

I should have been more specific as I meant extraction or operation of wells as opposed to "drilling" as in new drilling.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:44 AM

25,371 posts, read 17,029,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I think we should leave as much of the earth's resources unexploited as possible.
Why?
Leave it unused for what reason?

That's not an idle question. Global human population will begin to decline very soon if it has not already started. In 200 years there will only be 2B people left. There will be plenty of resources for everyone.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:52 AM

4,230 posts, read 2,426,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I was taught in school that Pluto was a planet, we have an upcoming ice age, acid rain will kill us, theres a hole in the ozone from hairspray, there was a genome change and my great ancestors were monkeys and we were going to have no oil by 2010.

Obviously none of that is true and a new crop of lies are being told to our children. Also there are estimates of enough oil for 150+ years, coal and natural gas for a millennium.
1964: Peak global oil discovery
1970: Peak US conventional oil production
2005-2006: Peak going conventional oil production
2018: Peak global unconventional oil production
2019: Peak US unconventional oil production

I don't know where you're getting the idea that the world has over 150 years of oil left, but it's completely and utterly WRONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies