Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 11:08 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times

Advertisements

I definitely do not support mandates, but I don't support doing anything violent to stop them or even doing anything illegal; and in my opinion, the truckers' convoy only showed that (1) many people did support the truckers, (2) many people are against the mandates, (3) reaffirmed that it is possible for people to hold a large protest without getting violent about it, and (4) showed that the Canadian government will do anything in its power to quell people who disagree with its policies.

So, as the truckers' protest did not end the Canadian federal* mandates -- and I would therefore predict that the U.S. truckers' protest won't put an end to all U.S. mandates, either -- what do you think WILL end the mandates if the U.S. government continues to push vaccination for many Americans?

- Science?
- Journalists?
- An overwhelming surge in GOP support among voters OR in the number of voters saying that they are against the mandates?
- Other?

Or do you think that NOTHING can end the mandates as long as the government says they must remain until if and when the government changes its collective mind?

*Not sure if that is the correct word for policies coming out of Ottawa that affect all of Canada. Please correct me if federal is not the right word. Thanks.

Last edited by katharsis; 02-23-2022 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 11:16 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
If Im not mistaken, most everywhere is ending the mandates.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:18 AM

10,486 posts, read 7,014,991 times
Science has already proven that the vaccines, masks and stay at home mandates don't work. However the people putting in the mandates claim they believe in their science and actually lash out against others that they don't believe, while the same people generally are ones believing gender is fluid and a whole other bunch of hogwash.

New Jersey, currently governed by a far leftist narrowly won reelection when it was predicted as a landslide. He spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a report on why he was so unpopular and it turned out it was the mandates (duh!) so that eased some of the restrictions. The governor of NJ gave the results to the Biden Administration and they just tossed (there was a whole NYT Article on it).

The real truth is we are being governed by authoritarian leaders who have managed to brainwash a large of people. There is a lot of power held by covid, and they need to ease their sheep into believing that they were not wrong.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:19 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,518 times
...very simple answer...'YOU'...you can end the mandates for yourself...only then, will they end, for you...

Old 02-23-2022, 11:19 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Passive resistance. The authoritarians cannot kill, maim, pepper spray, or put everyone in jail if everyone refuses to comply.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:26 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Civil disobedience, do not comply.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:30 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times
The damage has already been done in WA state. Police, Fire firefighters, teachers have been fired by Gov. Jay Inslee for not taking the shots. Its all PR for him now that he is lifting the mandates. WA state is a very forgiving liberal state who vote Democrats no matter how horrible the policy.

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I definitely do not support mandates, but I don't support doing anything violent to stop them or even doing anything illegal; and in my opinion, the truckers' convoy only showed that (1) many people did support the truckers, (2) many people are against the mandates, (3) reaffirmed that it is possible for people to hold a large protest without getting violent about it, and (4) showed that the Canadian government will do anything in its power to quell people who disagree with its policies.

So, as the truckers' protest did not end the Canadian federal* mandates -- and I would therefore predict that the U.S. truckers' protest won't accomplish the U.S. mandates, either -- what do you think WILL end the mandates if the U.S. government continues to push vaccination for many Americans?

- Science?
- Journalists?
- An overwhelming surge in GOP support among voters OR voters saying that they are against the mandates?
- Other?

Or do you think that NOTHING can end the mandates as long as the government says they must remain until if and when the government changes its collective mind?

*Not sure if that is the correct word for policies coming out of Ottawa that affect all of Canada. Please correct me if federal is not the right word. Thanks.
Until the root of the issue is understood by the masses, any gains will be partial and temporary. Not that these protests shouldn't continue - they should. But the gains, even if they get the emergency declaration lifted, will ultimately not stop the transformation that's being attempted.

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

So, as the truckers' protest did not end the Canadian federal* mandates -- and I would therefore predict that the U.S. truckers' protest won't accomplish the U.S. mandates, either -- what do you think WILL end the mandates if the U.S. government continues to push vaccination for many Americans?

- Science?
- Journalists?
- An overwhelming surge in GOP support among voters OR voters saying that they are against the mandates?
- Other?

Yes, like the USA, the term is "federal". However, some Americans (and I don't necessarily mean the poster to whom I am replying) do not seem to be able to understand despite repeatedly being told that the provinces--which are sort of the equivalent of our states and which have premiers instead of governors--set their own mandates and vary from province to province. Earlier today I posted an article in the Trucker thread on the mandates set by each Province and the plans for loosening the restrictions, an article that was published on January 27 as the convoy was just beginning. Here it is again.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ions-1.5757218

The federal mandates in Canada are those that affect the border (like the vaccination requirement for cross-border truckers that set off the convoy in the first place), rules for restrictions on flights, and vaccine and masking, etc., mandates for federal employees.

For example, I am in Ontario, where the premier has NOT mandated vaccinations for health care employees--but the hospitals and other healthcare facilities have set those mandates as a business decision. Trudeau/the federal government cannot overturn the decisions of either the Ontario premier or the private businesses. Some people seem pretty confused about that.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:32 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,579,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Science has already proven that the vaccines, masks and stay at home mandates don't work. However the people putting in the mandates claim they believe in their science and actually lash out against others that they don't believe, while the same people generally are ones believing gender is fluid and a whole other bunch of hogwash.

New Jersey, currently governed by a far leftist narrowly won reelection when it was predicted as a landslide. He spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a report on why he was so unpopular and it turned out it was the mandates (duh!) so that eased some of the restrictions. The governor of NJ gave the results to the Biden Administration and they just tossed (there was a whole NYT Article on it).

The real truth is we are being governed by authoritarian leaders who have managed to brainwash a large of people. There is a lot of power held by covid, and they need to ease their sheep into believing that they were not wrong.
Funny - so "your science" is the correct one, but the other persons "science" isn't the correct one?

Speaking of brainwashed...

There is a difference between things completely not working (which is what you suggest) and things that mitigate severity. It's not rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies