Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 08:22 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times

Advertisements

Biden can say everyone should lower their expectations again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 08:24 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I didn’t know elderly people had to drink gasoline to survive.

What an ignorant statement. What did you think you were going to prove by saying this? If I was an old American, I would be frightened by the thought of economic ignoramuses having control over my life and nation's destiny.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:24 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Gas taxes pay for roads. We need roads. 20 cents a gallon is not going to make any difference. If Putin stops trying to steal his neighbors' land, gas prices will begin falling soon and will be down a buck or more by later this year.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:28 PM

1,655 posts, read 775,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Gas taxes pay for roads. We need roads. 20 cents a gallon is not going to make any difference. If Putin stops trying to steal his neighbors' land, gas prices will begin falling soon and will be down a buck or more by later this year.
Are you the same person who said a few weeks ago that inflation wouldn’t be a concern 6 months from now?

Edit you are. We have you on record saying inflation is over by June. Now gas prices will be $1 lower later this year.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:28 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
People are under massive pressure with inflation totally out of control. Low and middle income people as well as businesses are hurt by high fuel prices. Sure its nice if you drive a Tesla. But 61% of people are living paycheck to paycheck. Those people are not buying a Tesla. And yes the gas taxes pay for fixing the roads. Lets help hard working Americans first. We will deal with the roads after that.

What do you think?
Terrible idea. It would worsen a shortage that's already underway. Now we have high prices but no lines at the pump. Also it would be a gratuitous wealth transfer to Russia and the Arab countries. Bad idea.

It was discussed in March and April 1974 and even at 16 going on 17, as a new driver without much money I couldn't think of a worse measure.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:29 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

We need roats. 61% of Americans need more money in their pocket. I see what you think is more important.

I am talking federal and state. Maybe for you it does not matter. That just shows how out of touch most Democrats are.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:31 PM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Exactly. We need to ram this green new deal down everyone's throat. That is more important that people paying their bills.
The green new deal is dead.

No question prices is on the rise but the state and federal gas taxes are fairly modest if you're not in places like CA etc.

Ironically, lowering those taxes could in turn just encourage more demand and thus raise the price of the base gasoline cost.

I appreciate your concerns. I have many relatives that this impacts seriously and my friends are of mixed economic standings.

Additionally, it's a good discussion to have, even if this particular solution is not viable we should be aware that not everyone is making enough money or lives close to work to shrug off extra costs.

Lastly, it's not all D vs. R either. Let's not turn into Hillary 2008 and politicize gas prices to the hilt.
People need to recognize that gas prices will vary and that banking on low gas prices when buying a vehicle or looking at commutes etc. may not last.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:39 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
People are under massive pressure with inflation totally out of control. Low and middle income people as well as businesses are hurt by high fuel prices. Sure its nice if you drive a Tesla. But 61% of people are living paycheck to paycheck. Those people are not buying a Tesla. And yes the gas taxes pay for fixing the roads. Lets help hard working Americans first. We will deal with the roads after that.

What do you think?
WAIT....WAIT....what about global warming and the Democrats!!! They wanted EIGHT dollar a gallon gas....getting close just paid FIVE DOLLARS and NINETY cents in California a couple of days ago.

We are done with global warming over 18.5 cents a gallon??

The Democrats ALWAYS tax the hard working Americans, why should the gas tax be different??

Old 02-21-2022, 08:45 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Gas taxes in California go to public employee unions pensions.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:46 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I didn’t know elderly people had to drink gasoline to survive.
They can buy gas to go to the doctor or food. I have to make a 90 mile round trip once a week for treatment of a side effect of the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies