Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:29 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
The media was all up in arms about this a few weeks ago. What they failed to mention is that the bill only covers kids from kindergarten through third grade. Kids at that age don't even know what sex or sexuality means let alone being gay. There should never be a sexual discussion with children that age about things that they don't even understand yet.

As someone with a gay cousin, I have no problem with it being discussed at older ages but I'm guessing you didn't know in 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade that you were gay.
Gotta nip it in the bud, eh? This just makes the law ever more ridiculous. Is outing little children who hug the same sex kid in school what gets right wingers to the polls in Florida?

Old 02-22-2022, 10:31 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Gotta nip it in the bud, eh? This just makes the law ever more ridiculous. Is outing little children who hug the same sex kid in school what gets right wingers to the polls in Florida?
It's probably in response to this. Two teachers targeted a student and essentially convinced her that she was a transgender male. Without the parents knowledge.

Sorry, schools aren't parents.

https://apnews.com/article/business-...d86b8e7b445361
https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/mother...s-transgender/

One of Konen’s chief complaints was that she was kept in the dark by the school about her daughter’s participation in the club, literature teachers provided, and a “gender support plan” created by administrators. She said her daughter was even told how to make a binder to keep her breasts from developing.

“Parents are supposed to have access to all the educational records of their children,” said attorney Harmeet Dhillon, who filed the case. “The concept that the schools have a right to be running secret, don’t-tell-your-parents clubs and don’t-tell-your-parents programs and actively coaching children how to mutilate themselves, which is you know, not growing your breasts, is certainly not consistent with California law.”

Old 02-22-2022, 10:40 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's probably in response to this. Two teachers targeted a student and essentially convinced her that she was a transgender male. Without the parents knowledge.

Sorry, schools aren't parents.

https://apnews.com/article/business-...d86b8e7b445361
https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/mother...s-transgender/

One of Konen’s chief complaints was that she was kept in the dark by the school about her daughter’s participation in the club, literature teachers provided, and a “gender support plan” created by administrators. She said her daughter was even told how to make a binder to keep her breasts from developing.

“Parents are supposed to have access to all the educational records of their children,” said attorney Harmeet Dhillon, who filed the case. “The concept that the schools have a right to be running secret, don’t-tell-your-parents clubs and don’t-tell-your-parents programs and actively coaching children how to mutilate themselves, which is you know, not growing your breasts, is certainly not consistent with California law.”
But the poster above says it only applies to little kids.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:48 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Did you read the post above yours?
If so, don't tell me you approve of teachers/school administrators doing such things to little kids and trying to keep parents in the dark.
That's a problem in itself. Don't fix problems with stupid laws causing more problems.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
The media was all up in arms about this a few weeks ago. What they failed to mention is that the bill only covers kids from kindergarten through third grade. Kids at that age don't even know what sex or sexuality means let alone being gay. There should never be a sexual discussion with children that age about things that they don't even understand yet.

As someone with a gay cousin, I have no problem with it being discussed at older ages but I'm guessing you didn't know in 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade that you were gay.
The amendment to this bill compels schools to inform parents of their child’s same sex sexual orientation within 6 weeks. This would apply through grade 12.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
She said her daughter was even told how to make a binder to keep her breasts from developing.
OMG the ignorance burns. Binding breasts does not keep them from developing. Did these people never take a biology or human anatomy class?

Such rank idiocy makes me doubt every single thing these people say and believe.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:57 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
]As someone with a gay cousin, I have no problem with it being discussed at older ages but I'm guessing you didn't know in 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade that you were gay.
You arent your gay cousin.

And yes, some people know they are gay that young, no different than people who know they are straight that young.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:00 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OMG the ignorance burns. Binding breasts does not keep them from developing. Did these people never take a biology or human anatomy class?

Such rank idiocy makes me doubt every single thing these people say and believe.
Today's teachers. Instructing students on the finer points of how to be LGBTQ.

Who needs to learn to read, write a coherent essay or learn actual history?

Old 02-22-2022, 11:01 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hold up there speedy, I'm merely asking how they would officially know unless the student affirmed it.

I did not say I supported the law, I just sought clarification on that point.

Thus, the ability to remain in the closet I do not see ending.
My personal opinion is that any teacher or guidance councilor even willing to follow this rule isnt going to care if you confirm it to them or not .

Lets say a kid gets into a argument with another student because someone says they are gay. Does the school notify the parent of the reason for the argument ?

Old 02-22-2022, 11:04 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
This is the Feb 17 version, seems like a general requirement to notify parents of changes to their children's behavior I don't see LGBT specifically spelled out. I can see some benefit from violent behavior but don't see that addressing a childs sexual preference as bein anyone's business but the child.

No indication of grade level either and no idea what the problem is that needs solving by a state legislature.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil...illText/c2/PDF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies