Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 02:03 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I hope he sues Whoopi for every dime she has.
He's certainly free to try but will have a much harder time than Sandman collecting due to their key differences.

Before anyone wishes that public figures could more effectively sue for libel, imagine Bill Gates turning an entire army of lawyers upon everyone claiming he's some sort of nefarious killer using vaccines or a host of other conspiracies centered upon him.

Something to consider when the people screaming about Bill Gates are upset about lies being made about Rittenhouse, what's good for the goose and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 02:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
If news companies get sued out of businesses for being wrong, who will report the news? The government? If so, it can't be trusted to do it right, either.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Biden was disappointed with the verdict. I am disappointed your son's laptop has gone uninvestigated. This kid was acquitted people are dropping from Mr Bill's mystery juice.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 3,344,280 times
I’m not sure why anyone on the left or the right would be against cleaning up the media and holding them all accountable for lying.

This nonsense has gone on long enough.

But the problem is that we all can’t agree on what the lie is. I certainly don’t want left leaning Snopes or left leaning Twitter be the decider on what a lie is

Old 02-22-2022, 02:21 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I always know someone is serious about stopping media lies when they announce it on Tucker Carlson's show.

There's no larger audience in cable news, right? Gutfeld(sp?) maybe?

Regardless of your opinion of Tucker or whatever your specific beef is, use your head before spouting off. The tribalism has made everyone friggin' insane.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If news companies get sued out of businesses for being wrong, who will report the news? The government? If so, it can't be trusted to do it right, either.
It's not about being wrong but just being malicious and deceitful.

Also, the levels of protection are HUGELY different between politicians, public figures and nobodies.

This is why Sandman won so easily in a string of settlements.

If instead of Sandman it had been a politician visiting the capital and the exact same events etc., probably would have lost those suits even with all the same commentary.

You can make all kinds of bizarre untrue or unproven awful claims about Bush blowing up levees or Hillary being involved in dozens of murders or Palin or Bill Gates or people that became famous in crime stories like Zimmerman, OJ or Rittenhouse...and largely not lose a lawsuit.

I don't always like that but the result of changing that would mean the very powerful could literally silence criticism with waves of lawsuits.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:22 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Report the truth. Problem solved.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's no larger audience in cable news, right? Gutfeld(sp?) maybe?

Regardless of your opinion of Tucker or whatever your specific beef is, use your head before spouting off. The tribalism has made everyone friggin' insane.
You literally could not pay me money to have Tucker or Maddow or any of these other blowhards on my TV at night. They're always leaving out key details, always spinning, just a dishonest partisan entertainment machine.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:24 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Hm. Rarely can you stump Google, but this statement does. Got a link?
Woosh. LOL

Old 02-22-2022, 02:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Woosh. LOL
You're right.

I went back and read it afterwards, realizing the poster was advocating that rather than attempt to correct lies, the best strategy would be to make up more lies.

*shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies