Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this didn't come to my attention sooner. As others have said, there is a clear argument to be made about the way we handle our currency. Something has to be done whether it is by incorporating Braille, or following the lead of other countries by adjusting the size altogether.

I do not think that it is at all unreasonable to make these accomodations. However, my biggest inquiry is what will we do with the old money? That will still exist and I am sure will remain legal tender, so even if they revamp the entire currency system from the status quo, won't the problem continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Hmmm, politically correct currency. What about printing the currency in foreign languages to appease illegals.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
HPD, what does that have to do with supporting a disabled part of our citizenry?
How would you feel if you suddenly lost your sight?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The most interesting part in all of this, is that the government has been fighting this for 6 years. They have been redesigning money for how many years now, and they didnt think about just creating a way to help, rather then hinder the blind? Yes, and people think the government will do positive things..
Yeah. Somehow I don't think raised numbers that indicate the denomination of the bill would be all that expensive or really alter the appearance or even feel of the currency all that much.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:09 AM

55 posts, read 198,247 times
So its the governments fault they are blind?

Why should they have to redesign and print out new money just to accomodate for a handicap? this is as stupid as forcing public buildings to install ramps and elevators just so some cripples can get upstairs

pisses me off

Old 05-21-2008, 07:17 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
As for changing the bills by basing their size on their denomination, that would have an enormous impact on our nation's economy. Consider how many machines would need to be completely reworked - every change machine, vending machine, ATM and slot machine (I do live in Las Vegas ) would ALL need to have their hardware updated. As it is now, when currency is redesigned, all that needs updating is the software for bill recognition, which can be done very cheaply. That would be a very expensive upgrade, and many machines would have to be replaced due to lack of support for an outdated model or defunct manufacturer.

Leave the currency as it is. The costs of changing it grossly outweigh the benefits.
I agree. Changing denomination size would be a very bad decision at this point. However they could start imprinting braille on the bills. That would be the only way I would approve it.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:19 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyr47 View Post
So its the governments fault they are blind?

Why should they have to redesign and print out new money just to accomodate for a handicap? this is as stupid as forcing public buildings to install ramps and elevators just so some cripples can get upstairs

pisses me off
I agree with public buildings and public services that handicapped accessible because the government is supposed to represent everyone.

Private businesses are a different story, but that's another debate.

It should also be noted that they've redesigned the bills for quite a few times in the past few years, mostly as an anti-counterfeiting measure. It wouldn't be a great financial burden to include a few bumps or to raise the numerals on the notes so the blind can tell what denomination they are.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 AM

55 posts, read 198,247 times
Im sorry i should have been more specific

your correct, because the governmeny represents the citizens of america, im fine with government buildings having handicap access required by law

i meant that its not fair to require a place like applebees or my office to have handicap access, but your right thats a whole other issue

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyr47 View Post
Im sorry i should have been more specific

your correct, because the governmeny represents the citizens of america, im fine with government buildings having handicap access required by law

i meant that its not fair to require a place like applebees or my office to have handicap access, but your right thats a whole other issue
You might want to consider bring the American with Disabilities Act issue up as a new thread. Depending how you frame the topic, it could potentially be an interesting discussion.

ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Instead of changing the shape or size of the money.. what would be the prospect of embossing the denomination through either braille or number format? It doesn't sound like it would be too hard for the Treasury to accomplish. It also wouldn't require changing all mechanized money counting devices.

And I really agree with the sentiment that anybody who tries to cheat a blind person in regards to money is lower than dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies