Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 03:31 AM

11,677 posts, read 5,696,548 times

Advertisements

It's ridiculous to keep starting threads just to rile people. Had the OP said is anyone still seeing shortages because our shelves are full rather than just came back from the store and there are no shortages IMPLYING everyone who is seeing shortages is lying we would have had an entirely different vibe to this thread.

Unfortunately - we have people who just like to start sh*t as it amuses them seeing others get frustrated and I feel sorry for those types of people that enjoy other people's anguish. Here in WNY - we still have a supply problem - aluminum foil is OOS in many stores, cereal was low, paper products in many stores are hard to come by. I couldn't get creamer at Aldi's for 3 weeks and thought it was a supply problem until I went to a Tops - paid twice as much and little selection as they too were low on items.

People were stocking up because they were afraid of a supply shortage - now they are stocking up because they are afraid of price increases - I know I am. Take many of these posters with a grain of salt and try not to get triggered by them. It's funny that they are picking and choosing now what to believe on the news as all networks have been talking about the shortages for the past 2 yrs. They are very selective and only pick up on what fits their narrative.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:31 AM

8,849 posts, read 4,515,915 times
Based on the obesity data for America, can't be much of a shortage issue at the grocery store.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:36 AM

2,335 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It's ridiculous to keep starting threads just to rile people. Had the OP said is anyone still seeing shortages because our shelves are full rather than just came back from the store and there are no shortages IMPLYING everyone who is seeing shortages is lying we would have had an entirely different vibe to this thread.

Unfortunately - we have people who just like to start sh*t as it amuses them seeing others get frustrated and I feel sorry for those types of people that enjoy other people's anguish. Here in WNY - we still have a supply problem - aluminum foil is OOS in many stores, cereal was low, paper products in many stores are hard to come by. I couldn't get creamer at Aldi's for 3 weeks and thought it was a supply problem until I went to a Tops - paid twice as much and little selection as they too were low on items.

People were stocking up because they were afraid of a supply shortage - now they are stocking up because they are afraid of price increases - I know I am. Take many of these posters with a grain of salt and try not to get triggered by them. It's funny that they are picking and choosing now what to believe on the news as all networks have been talking about the shortages for the past 2 yrs. They are very selective and only pick up on what fits their narrative.

Would that be the same as people posting multiple threads spreading hyperbole implying that a regional issue is national in scope? Did you ever go into those threads and point that out? I'm thinking not. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And what we're choosing to believe is what we see with our own eyes (the best source I know of) and not getting caught up into political hogwash.

Last edited by dicipher; 02-25-2022 at 03:57 AM..

Old 02-25-2022, 03:37 AM

18,532 posts, read 15,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
They were out of nothing....AGAIN!!!

I screamed at the checker on the way out, told him he better knock it off, and said I expect the shelves of half the store to be empty the next time I go in. The nerve of some people. They clearly didn't read the news reports.
If you wait long enough, eventually the store will lose its electricity due to natural causes.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:31 AM

23,841 posts, read 14,963,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Haven't seen empty shelves in the grocery store since early COVID, but we have HEB which is very good about that. Even in our recent Austin 4-day boil water notice, our local HEB grocery stores NEVER had a shortage of bottled water (or anything else.) Always stocked.

It must be a regional issue because the only thing HEB does not have is those frozen boneless turkey breast roast. But that a seasonal thing. They have plenty of other turkey breasts. And this week asparagus is .97 a pound.

Never had a problem with anything on the list for HEB curbside or in the store.

Our local Kroger has had paper products stacked to the ceiling for weeks. All the other shelves are stocked except pet food.

If there are empty spots it's because the vendor for that product has yet to arrive. Many of the shelves are stocked by the product vendors. It's not just bread, soda and water anymore.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:22 AM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Maybe you should read the thread and listen to what people are saying (there have certainly been enough comments at this point of people claiming they haven't had any real issues). But do keep your blinders on.

There is no National shortage. There are some issues on a regional basis. I'm sorry that's so hard for you to understand.

Next time do a search and you'll get your answer (it takes a mere seconds).
I never said there were national shortages. Next time, figure out what people have said before you lose your ish.

By the way, I also do food deliveries, not just shops, and I remember when restaurants in this area had signs on their doors about a 'national chicken shortage', and that's why they didn't have certain items available on their menu. BUT, if you went to the store, you could get chicken, easily. Should we have mocked and ridiculed the restaurants who had those signs on their doors, because, 'When I go to the store, I see chicken, so it's not national! Geez, what a bunch of dummies!"

There are many suppliers. I go to Food Lion, I know I'm dealing with a different supplier for milk than the supplier for Harris Teeter, because the supplier for HT doesn't charge as much for the milk as the supplier does for FL. And no, it's not because HT is cheaper, they are actually more expensive than FL in just about every other department.

I don't know a single store here that isn't having issues. As I said, I do shops for other people. I sometimes ask store employees for help finding a product, or I'll ask if they have any in the back, and I've learned quite a bit in the last few months.

I've learned that one particular store didn't receive their pallets for 2 weeks.

I've learned that sometimes, items are removed from the truck, even though they were scheduled to be on the truck.

I've learned that some items that we can't make sense of why they are short, are created by companies that are having their own supply chain issue and can't get the ingredients for THEIR product.

The biggest issues in my area are dairy, pasta, bread, water - water is a massive fail. Every time I go in there, the water aisle is a waste land. Snack aisle - which, I don't consider essential, but it's sparse in places, nonetheless. And frozen vegetables.

What is hitting both grocery stores AND pet stores is a massive shortage of cat food, cat litter, cat treats. My cat requires a Hills Science Diet prescription food. According to his vet, he has to be on it for the rest of his life. (I even had a major thread about the whole ordeal in the pet forum a few years back. He went through hell, and almost lost his life, twice.)

It had always been in stock. Last week, it was out in the store I go to. I called around to other stores that carry it, even called veterinarians. I had many unsuccessful calls. I ended up having to drive 20 miles to get his food. I just went in to the store I usually go to, yesterday. STILL didn't have it. I was informed that the truck removed some pallets from the delivery. Why? I don't know, but now I have to call around, again, just to find his food, and who knows how far I'll have to drive this time.

Cat food - one of my photos showed the empty shelves. That's not a one off. That's all the time, lately, in every store. Every. Store! All the stores I listed in my post showing photos - not a damn one of them has a good supply of cat food, of any kind, and because of that, what little they do have, they just jacked up the prices by roughly 15%. FANtastic.

I understand that you're sick of hearing people claim it's 'national' because your HEB has a better supplier than most stores, but can you also possibly understand why a post like your OP rubs people the wrong way? I don't find anything 'hilarious' about not being able to find something that keeps my cat alive. I don't find it funny that I have to drive 20 miles to get it, when the price of gas is now just 5 cents away from being $2 more per gallon than it was 2 years ago.

I don't care about people using sarcasm when it's merited, but mocking people who are going through this - I think it was in very poor taste.

Understand this: People in some areas are starting to suffer. We aren't starving to death, but we are being hit pretty hard by these supply issues, by the price of gas, by prices going up, etc. You not seeing it doesn't mean that others aren't.

The people who are hit the worst are those who don't have a lot of money. The poorer people. They can't even find any pasta to make a cheap meal. Food prices, overall, have gone up, and keep going up. They still have to go to work, yet the gas prices have risen to a ridiculous amount. They still need a place to live, yet rents have gone up 20% in the last 6 months. Water (to your house) and electric have gone up.

I'm glad that your HEB is well stocked, and I'm glad that you haven't seen any of this, but other people have.

This did start gradually. Up until about 3 months ago, we didn't really have any issues. Maybe a run on chicken if there was going to be snow the next day, but we didn't have the empty spaces or shelves. But it slowly started creeping in. And it's getting worse, and worse, and worse.

If you want to lambast people who you think are exaggerating, then lambast them, personally, not start a thread acting like anyone who says they're having a shortage is lying. They aren't. And certain people in this country are being hit harder than others.

You could ask people in my area who have all the money in the world - do you think they see the empty shelves when they have others do their shopping for them? I'd bet some of them, who don't go to the store, have any clue how bad it is. When I tell them that an item is out, they have the money to substitute to another item that costs more. Not everyone has that kind of budget. So to them, they could easily say the same, 'Well, I don't see a problem.'

It's like the people working from home - they have no idea how lucky they are right now (for many reasons) because they don't have to fill up at the gas station to get to/from work. Now, a tank of gas might last them a month or more since they don't have that commute. But what about the people who have to go into work, because they can't do their job at home? It's hitting them hard.

Great. It's not in your area, and yes, sarcasm is sometimes hysterical, but you have to know when to use it, and when to approach something a different way. Your initial post did not come across as giving a damn about anyone who faces these shortages. Your initial post didn't even come across as being aware that in some places, there are shortages, nor did it come across as you only 'making fun of those who claim it's national'. Your initial post came across as mocking everyone who is actually living through it, right now, real time.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:34 AM

I don't have the time or the patience to read anything else from you. You can believe whatever you like...no one has a gun to your head. It's simply refreshing to see that the "sky is falling" fear mongering narrative is not the case for many as a myriad of people in this thread also agree it is regional and they are having no problems. No belittling, just honest enough to realize it's not national (which is the point regardless of posters that try to mischaracterize the conversation). Have a blessed day.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:56 AM

45,114 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
I don't have the time or the patience to read anything else from you. You can believe whatever you like...no one has a gun to your head. It's simply refreshing to see that the "sky is falling" fear mongering narrative is not the case for many as a myriad of people in this thread also agree it is regional and they are having no problems. No belittling, just honest enough to realize it's not national (which is the point regardless of posters that try to mischaracterize the conversation). Have a blessed day.
My born and bred Texas relatives always said that Texans are some of the most non-self-aware individuals ever spawned.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:28 AM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Because you know your OP was beyond rude, and despite the back peddling you've done in this thread, you don't want to admit you were wrong and your OP was incredibly insensitive. You revealed who you really are to everyone.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My born and bred Texas relatives always said that Texans are some of the most non-self-aware individuals ever spawned.
So unaware that myself and a myriad of posters can acknowledge that they're having no problem at all finding what they need at stores. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. One illogical post after another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.