Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 01:24 AM

1,808 posts, read 617,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PownStarmecks View Post
Isn't Osama from Saudi Arabia?
Legally irrelevant. That would be like implicating your parents in California when you committed a crime in New York. We try to hold responsible the parties closest to the individual at the time of commission, so in the case of Osama bin Laden and AQ, that was Afghanistan. Now, if it turned out that Saudi Arabia, as a state, was involved, then that would be a different scenario. If there were individual Saudis involved, then we have to respond on an individual basis.

Quote:
Also didn't the Taliban offer Osama to the US but the US refused?
No, the Taliban offered to turn bin Laden to a third party.

The US was under no obligations, legally or morally or hypothetically, to accept anything less than DIRECT transfer to US. We can chose to accept that offer, but we were not obligated in any way.

Quote:
I mean I agree on going to get Bin Laden, but they used 9/11 to advanced the imperialist ambitions of the Bush Administration.
That is for another discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 01:47 AM

34,274 posts, read 19,284,172 times
Quote:
Isn't Osama from Saudi Arabia? Also didn't the Taliban offer Osama to the US but the US refused?

I mean I agree on going to get Bin Laden, but they used 9/11 to advanced the imperialist ambitions of the Bush Administration.
Yup, he was from Saudi Arabia. And sort of. They offered to turn him over to a third party country to determine his guilt. We were pretty serious about it being non-negotiable.

And the patriot acts name alone gave me the heebie jeebies. ANYTHING named like that is often not a good plan. I mean sure....as a act about giving awards or something, fine. but one affecting privacy rights etc? big red flag.

Anyways back on to the topic. Germany took a lot of countries rapidly due to change in technology that just weren't handled well. Rapid attacks that overran their opponents was used by Germany, and also used by the US to great effect during ww2, and the gulf war for example. Also the usage of really heavy artillery turned impregnable fortress lines into giant targets. Russias weapons are comparable in many ways to Ukraines, theres not the vast differences in capabilities. (Make no mistake, Russia vastly outclasses Ukraine, but not by massive technological and battlefield innovations like in WW2)

If Russia takes Ukraine rapidly, and overwhelms them Russia will freak out some of their neighbors. But I think Ukraine is going to fight a lot harder then Russia expects. But. meh. Maybe not. I thought the Afghanis would fight more too.

I know some Ukrainian folks, and they feel like the sort that would fight. But that would surrender if vastly overwhelmed. Very logical folks. And they identified very strongly as Ukrainian, not Russian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies