Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 09:16 AM

10,852 posts, read 4,534,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Who is content to reminisce like Amanda Wingfield here? I have seen Afghanistan mentioned in the context of Soviet failures with total amnesia about the US disaster and international humiliation that actually just happened.

amnesia from who? just because the adults have no power at present and can do jack about it. ask after jan of 2023...

Old 04-15-2022, 09:31 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
amnesia from who? just because the adults have no power at present and can do jack about it. ask after jan of 2023...
What now? What's your proposal, spend another 20 years there, and a trillion or two?

Old 04-15-2022, 09:44 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Outrage on Russian propaganda TV about the fire on the warship. Cause for war! Bomb Kyiv!

Video clip: https://mobile.twitter.com/JuliaDavi...66062771875851

It’s pure comedy considering the fact that the Russia government is silent about the cause of the fire.

I also read elsewhere, from unconfirmed sources that:
* it was a Turkish cargo ship which rescued 37 Russian sailors in the water

* the day before sinking the ship, the Ukrainians used a drone to test the ship’s defense before retreating to a safe distance. (There is apparently a Russian video showing this.) The next day, the drone returned, and while the Russians were focused on it, the missiles hit.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:50 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
The company seems to think it is a precursor for a tactical or at least some sort of WMD.
NATO then conducts air strikes on Russian positions inside Ukraine.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:06 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
NATO then conducts air strikes on Russian positions inside Ukraine.
Well this is the narrative being concocted. Promote the idea that Russia is "desperate", and if they are they will just use combined arms tactics at scale with heavy artillery in a declared "war" instead of the "special operation".
Russia has been holding back as notable exceptions in Donbas. They are not taking out civilian infrastructure outside it.

However its clear that Ukraine keeps the atrocity pretext in the exact same way this was done in Syria by the rebels.
So again the Zelensky regime want to draw me into WWIII brinkmanship. If he wins he might become a billionaire. I won't. I can only stand to lose.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:25 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Did you look at the equipment graphs? Ukraine has more tanks then when they started. They captured more than they lost.

Russia does have a lot of equipment in mothballs.

What they don’t have are Men to man this old equipment. They committed 75% of ALL of the forces that they can muster across the whole country. There are no more boots on the ground that they can produce.

They will have to actually declare war, and go to total mobilization if it gets worse.
The irony in your post is even if Ukraine has more tanks now, it's gradually losing troops whether due to KIA or POWs to the extent it will soon lack enough trained troops to man these tanks.

Russia doesn't have that problem, and whatever losses Russia has suffered in terms of lost equipment, the proportion of Ukrainian military vehicle losses has been far higher.

The Ukrainian military is putting up a fight because it's a real third generation warfare modern army. The Azovs are trained, but they're not professionals and they're not going to last long. As I wrote to another poster, the Azov fighters are essentially separated in pockets which are completely surrounded by Russian troops. Note that these concentrations of Azov fighters are located in the eastern part of Ukraine, far from Kiev, and therefore, in areas which are within or near the territory Russia has occupied.

Logistically, therefore, the Russian forces surrounding the Azov pockets enjoy the advantage of supply lines. Food, fuel, ammunition will continue to arrive.

But what will Azov fighters throw at Russian armor or Russian infantry when they're down to a few magazines? Are they going to go for hand-to-hand combat screaming "Glory to Ukraine?" while the Russians point their fully loaded rifles at them?

Old 04-15-2022, 10:34 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A far right Ukranian group with tanks is destroying civilian neighborhoods including hospitals and schools, boy that's one I haven't even heard yet even from Putin. I served in military, the destruction of those buildings is from artillery and missiles not tanks.

Russia gave up on their failed attempt to encircle the capital, the supply to many parts of Ukraine are open. encircling a large city takes large amount of infantry, Russia has about 10,000-20,000 infantry out of the 100,000 and are poorly trained. They planned on defeating them over the weekend now they are supplying all those troops for over 30 days. They are not prepared for this. If I was in the Russian armor I would not want to be sitting in a tank with those Javelin's around, they are death boxes and they have lost hundreds of tanks fighting a war as if it was 1940.
Who said tanks were used?

Well in any case, the Azovs are surrounded, and the Ukrainian military should simply surrender.

Biden's policy of sending weapons and aid to Ukraine will bring blowback one day. What the U.S. is doing is what made the Germans torpedo U.S. merchant ships during World War I. We are essentially acting like an indirect belligerent. This is provocative and extremely dangerous, and Ukraine is not worth a single American life and certainly not worth a singular American city.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Outrage on Russian propaganda TV about the fire on the warship. Cause for war! Bomb Kyiv!

Video clip: https://mobile.twitter.com/JuliaDavi...66062771875851

It’s pure comedy considering the fact that the Russia government is silent about the cause of the fire.

I also read elsewhere, from unconfirmed sources that:
* it was a Turkish cargo ship which rescued 37 Russian sailors in the water

* the day before sinking the ship, the Ukrainians used a drone to test the ship’s defense before retreating to a safe distance. (There is apparently a Russian video showing this.) The next day, the drone returned, and while the Russians were focused on it, the missiles hit.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Russian incompetence us astounding.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:18 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
The irony in your post is even if Ukraine has more tanks now, it's gradually losing troops whether due to KIA or POWs to the extent it will soon lack enough trained troops to man these tanks.............
There actually has to be some grain of truth to that, but I think the same truth would apply to Russia where some units are reported as refusing to fight.
My hope is the war destroys Russia, although the fighting may stop before that happens. If fighting were to stop tomorrow the sanctions would go on, and that's what will destroy Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Biden's policy of sending weapons and aid to Ukraine will bring blowback one day.............
It's not just Biden - it's virtually the entire civilized world. Regardless of what you or I think, the flow of weapons will continue, as will the flow of information to the Ukrainian army. As opposed to generating blowback, I think it will become increasingly productive since Russia can no longer manufacture or even repair military hardware.

The cost of "providing 1B dollars in support to Ukraine" is nearly zero - that's because the weapons given already existed and have already been paid for. Many are already stored as surplus. So providing support is not nearly as expensive as detractors advertise.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:39 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
The Russians are threatening to declare war if Ukraine doesn’t stop shooting back…

https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad2...02489535066114
In other words, they need more men and that's the only way to reach deeper into their reserves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceillest View Post
There is a lot of evidence so far that Russia has been trying to fight a humanitarian war by deliberately holding back the full might of their military to avoid civilian casualties. However, after it's become very clear the Ukrainians have no qualms about bombing their own cities and committing atrocities against their own citizens to win more sympathy from US and NATO, Russia will take off their gloves and now fight for real. Mark my words and watch what happens in this next stage of the war. Ukraine never had a chance against Russia as they will soon find out.
How do they bomb their own cities. Ukraine doesn't have a [fully] functioning Air Force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.