Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2022, 01:28 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
This is a really good listen on the situation on the ground in Ukraine if you have the time

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/sta...70909475344384

Basically the Battle of the Donbas will be the last gasp of any ability of Russia to conduct offensive operations in Ukraine with "peacetime" level of forces. Putin will be forced to call for National Wartime footing which will have severe political implications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
In other news;
Putin apparently accepted the participation of the Red Cross and UN in evacuation of the civilians from Azov Steel, since after the numerous offers of the humanitarian corridor no one showed up, in spite of all the initial pleas of the civilians.

So apparently by now Putin decided to let the Red Cross go in and figure out what's ( or rather who) is holding them there.

Of course "Azov" was hoping for the different organizations ( or world leaders) to arrive to deliver them personally with their arms in hands somewhere to the "third country," but we'll see what will develop in this situation.

Russians definitely want the civilians to be out of there, to flatten what's left from Azov Steel with Azov in it, but that's definitely NOT what Azov wants, along with 400 foreign mercenaries sitting in the bunkers.

Now we will see what the RED CROSS ( and UN) want in this situation, and who exactly they are committed to save.

Putin is lying. He’ll say that now and then come up with another lie and it just keeps going.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:30 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I know everyone says Ukraine is fighting an uphill battle in the eastern parts due to the sheer size of the Russian military. But it’s still not easy for Russia.

And now with western weapons, this will be a long war that Russia most likely can’t win. They’re going to continue to lie and cheat and maybe get frustrated resulting in chemical weapons or Putin losing politically.

It is Russia who is fighting an uphill battle.

As of now, Russia is destroying the routs by which the West is supplying the weapons to Donbass.

So when all is said and done, I suspect Ukraine will be cut in half with all the bridges/routs cut off between the Eastern and Western parts of it across that huge Dnepr river. ( There was always a definition of "left bank" Ukraine and "right bank Ukraine" historically - so I guess it's going to be played out for real this time around.)
Another thing I hear - there are more explosions in Transdnistria followed ( part of Moldova with a long frozen military conflict.)
It looks like Ukrainians are trying to hit it now, before it could become a part of the Russian growing military theater.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Putin is lying. He’ll say that now and then come up with another lie and it just keeps going.

Lying about what?

Why would he NOT want civilians to be out of that Azov Steel?

Old 04-26-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnbucker View Post
Probably probably because Russians kept opening fire on them.

I will ask again - why would Russians not want civilians to be out of that factory?

Old 04-26-2022, 01:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
As of now, Russia is destroying the routs by which the West is supplying the weapons to Donbass.

So when all is said and done, I suspect Ukraine will be cut in half with all the bridges/routs cut off between the Eastern and Western parts of it across that huge Dnepr river. ( There was always a definition of "left bank" Ukraine and "right bank Ukraine" historically - so I guess it's going to be played out for real this time around.)
Another thing I hear - there are more explosions in Transdnistria followed ( part of Moldova with a long frozen military conflict.)
It looks like Ukrainians are trying to hit it now, before it could become a part of the Russian growing military theater.
Moldovan / Romanian. It does not matter that much who though... They have the same boss.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm hard pressed to name a country that has been more willing to come to terms with past crimes.
Theoretically speaking, if I owe you something, and then it is me who says "now I gave you back enough and I don't owe you nothing", would it indicate that I really paid off the debt? Or would it display lack of my morals and desire to wiggle out of the obligations?

There are still people whose relatives died in that war. Putin is one of them.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Moldovan / Romanian. It does not matter that much who though... They have the same boss.

So you are saying that it's the Moldavian government that is trying to hit Transdnistria, not Ukrainians at this point?
I had a different impression, but you might be right.

( Ditto it's the same boss that can act through this or that hand, so doesn't make much difference at the end I guess.)

Old 04-26-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that it's the Moldavian government that is trying to hit Transdnistria, not Ukrainians at this point?
I had a different impression, but you might be right.

( Ditto it's the same boss that can act through this or that hand, so doesn't make much difference at the end I guess.)
https://t.me/strelkovii/2481

It would kind of make sense for Moldovans to settle this issue once and for all now. Because after Russia gets into their border, they wouldn't be able to continue Transdnistrian blockade, and lose all the money that goes from Transdnistria to Chisinau.

Now, they are convinced that they can take it over and Russia won't have sufficient resources to interfere.

On the negative side, how would they survive without Russian gas? It goes there only because Russia wanted to support Transdnistria... I believe Moldova is not happy to do it, but are pushed by USA to get involved.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
https://t.me/strelkovii/2481

It would kind of make sense for Moldovans to settle this issue once and for all now. Because after Russia gets into their border, they wouldn't be able to continue Transdnistrian blockade, and lose all the money that goes from Transdnistria to Chisinau.

Now, they are convinced that they can take it over and Russia won't have sufficient resources to interfere.

OK, thanks - I don't follow him ( Strelkov that is.)

Transdnistria is still officially part of Moldova?

And it has the joint budget with the capital ( Chisinau)?
Do I understand it correctly?

( TBH I know the least about this frozen conflict.)

Last edited by erasure; 04-26-2022 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-26-2022, 02:50 PM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times
Interesting, looks like Putin is sticking to his demands.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...and-gas-xxxxxx

Seems like he is willing to take short-term pain for potential long-term gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies