Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2022, 04:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
… which is one of the reasons why, after a time, I eventually put them on ignore.
Me too. One of their tactics is to dilute accurate reports with volume. After awhile you can tell it’s propaganda spam, so you block it, until they take over or create another account.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:52 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Turkey's president said that he doesn't support their membership.
It doesn’t matter. They are effectively in NATO next week.

You wonder how much NATO expansion Russian hardliners will let Putin cause before they get rid of him.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:06 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
I love reading these guys ... the sense of humor ... gossipy ... sort of a personal blog. Appear to be Ukrainian-speaking Canadian ex-military now doing intel in Kherson Oblast. They're the ones who knew the exact path of the Russian tanker containing stolen Ukrainian wheat who couldn't find a buyer for it before finally dumping it in Syria. Some recent comments:

@CanadianUkrain1
·
May 14
A #Russian tanker that survived the 2nd crossing near #Bilohorivka was asked why he kept going, didn't he see how many burned vehicles were already there? He replied: we were told that it was all #Ukrainian equipment and it was the #Ukrainians who drew Vz and Zs on them.

@CanadianUkrain1
·
May 14
#Russia, #Siberia.

19 villages burned down during the latest forest fires that no one can put out because this was typically the army's job, but they are, as we know, mostly permanently unavailable, and there is literally no infrastructure to fight fires.

What a ****show.

@CanadianUkrain1
·
May 13
A bit of intel:

A group of recruiters arrived in occupied #Kherson. It included FSB officers, officers of the Ministry of State Security of #DNR and representatives of the PPK League. Their task is to find people who will agree to work in the special services of the DNR.

@CanadianUkrain1
·
May 13
During the stay of this group in #Kherson, up to 50 civilians were tortured and killed. About 120 residents of #Kherson were abducted. Their whereabouts are currently unknown.

On May 11-12, this group arrived at the local pre-trial detention center, where they attempted to recruit among the detainees. Gunfire could be heard.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:25 PM
bu2

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Of course there is difference between the "Old world" and the "New world" Between the US and Europe ( and this includes Russia and Ukraine in this case.)

Absolutely not - his English is much more flexible than mine, that's why he can go into much finer details, analyzing the situation.

I think I already made it clear why I can easily go through the Russian channels - be that Youtube or the Telegram?

It's not about the "number of troops" - it's a fact that the civil war can simultaneously be a proxy war as well.

See, the American troops were in Russia back in 1918 (as a part of "allied intervention") precisely with the same goal in mind - to topple the new Russian government.
There is nothing new under the sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Russia_intervention

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied...sian_Civil_War
Civil War is a Civil War regardless of where it is. But you are not familiar with the English language and definitions of words..

And I was referring to Gwyn... who may have been joking, but more likely simply didn't understand the term "apologist" or its connotations. He certainly was oblivious to how weird his response sounded. His posts are convoluted and often hard to follow. I mean, his English is better than any foreign language I speak, but its still sometimes difficult to understand what he is trying to say.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:38 PM

26,771 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Civil War is a Civil War regardless of where it is. But you are not familiar with the English language and definitions of words..

And I was referring to Gwyn... who may have been joking, but more likely simply didn't understand the term "apologist" or its connotations. He certainly was oblivious to how weird his response sounded. His posts are convoluted and often hard to follow. I mean, his English is better than any foreign language I speak, but its still sometimes difficult to understand what he is trying to say.

I suspect it's not a matter of "English language" for you, but difficulty to understand the more nuanced picture.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:44 PM

25,547 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
… which is one of the reasons why, after a time, I eventually put them on ignore.
I never actually put the pro-Putin crowd on ignore, but it does seem like my mouse wheel is used a lot...

Old 05-15-2022, 06:34 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I suspect it's not a matter of "English language" for you, but difficulty to understand the more nuanced picture.
Ah. You join the propaganda technique of insulting someone who doesn't agree with you. I guess you 3 got trained by the same person.

You and the other one (don't remember his name and am not going to look it up) are easy to understand. Gwyn... is all over the place with his rants. He clearly is not as fluent as you and the other one.

I perfectly understand the nuance. You 3 are pushing the Russian propaganda line and will dismiss as "Ukrainian propaganda" anything that goes against you, not matter how credible. You distract with your paranoia over things like the Russian Civil War (which Russian 20th century history might have been a lot better if the whites had won-certainly Ukraine's would have been). Or you rant about past American interventions and somehow equate supporting political groups with levelling whole cities.

None of you will address, for obvious reasons, why Putin is justified with a full scale war and bombing of cities, along with rapes, kidnapping, torture and murder. I'm not naive. I understand mistreatment of surrendering combatants happens in just about any war. What the Germans and Russians did to each other in WWII was horrific. But what the Russian army is doing to civilians in Ukraine is inexcusable. There's plenty of video and personal testimony.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:35 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I never actually put the pro-Putin crowd on ignore, but it does seem like my mouse wheel is used a lot...
There was one I had to put on ignore. He was just totally ridiculous. But he hasn't posted on this thread in a while.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:52 PM
bu2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61442387 More detail on Bucha:

"...A couple of steps away are the remains of a Russian military ration pack - an open can of rice porridge with beef and an empty packet of crackers. A name daubed in graffiti on a wall is a reminder that the scene is a children's camp. But when Russian troops moved into Bucha, just outside the capital, in early March, Camp Radiant became an execution ground.

The story of the summer camp killings is chilling but so is this detail: more than 1,000 civilians were killed in the Bucha region during a month under Russian occupation, but most did not die from shrapnel or shelling. More than 650 were shot dead by Russian soldiers.

Now Ukraine is searching for their killers....

Moscow tells anyone who will listen that the killings were staged, an idea that is as twisted as it is patently false. Determined to hold those responsible to account, Ukrainian investigators are busy collecting the hard evidence on territory now back under their control.

"We don't know what Putin's plans are, so we are working as quickly as possible in case he drops a bomb and destroys all the proof," says Kyiv regional police chief, Andrii Niebytov.

That evidence includes a field full of civilian cars pierced with multiple bullet holes, now piled up on the edge of Bucha. They are vehicles that were shot at when families tried to flee. One still has a length of white cloth at the window, hung to show the soldiers that its occupants were no threat. Step too close, and you catch the sickly smell of death...."

Defending this stuff is twisted.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:09 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,724,203 times
Todays Update

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-may-15

Quote:
Russian forces have likely abandoned the objective of completing a large-scale encirclement of Ukrainian units from Donetsk City to Izyum in favor of completing the seizure of Luhansk Oblast.

Russian forces have likely run out of combat-ready reservists, forcing the Russian military command to amalgamate soldiers from many different elements, including private military companies and proxy militias, into ostensibly regular army units and naval infantry

Russian forces are likely fortifying occupied settlements in southern Ukraine, indicating that the Russians are seeking to establish permanent control in the region.
I thought this was interesting

Quote:
Russian private military companies are reportedly forming combined units with airborne elements due to significant losses in manpower.[5] Denaturing elite airborne units with mercenaries is shocking, and would be the clearest indication yet that Russia has exhausted its available combat-ready manpower reserves
Key Takeaways

Quote:
Russian forces will likely prioritize winning the Battle of Severodonetsk over reaching the administrative borders of Donetsk Oblast.

Russian forces did not advance in the Slovyansk direction due to unsuccessful offensive operations in the Izyum area. Ukrainian aviation continues to operate north and east of Izyum.

Russian forces continued to launch artillery, air, and naval assaults on the Azovstal Steel Plant, but Mariupol defenders maintained their positions.

Russian forces are fortifying occupied settlements along the southern axis, indicative of Russian objectives for permanent control of the area.
Immediate Items to Watch

Quote:
Russian forces will likely complete their withdrawal from the vicinity of Kharkiv City but will likely attempt to hold a line west of Vovchansk to defend their GLOCs from Belgorod to Izyum. It is unclear if they will succeed.

The Russians will continue efforts to encircle Severodonetsk and Lysychansk at least from the south, possibly by focusing on cutting off the last highway connecting Severodonetsk and Lysychansk with the rest of Ukraine.

A Ukrainian counteroffensive around Izyum will likely begin soon.

The Battle of Mariupol will, apparently and surprisingly, continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.