Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 06:02 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Over 1200 companies have now voluntarily left Russia. The list grows every day, it seems. Businesses ranging from coffee shops to oil field service companies and airliner service companies are leaving. Businesses leaving Russia are a sign of the disgust the free world feels for the actions Russia has taken. While sanctions are less visible than closed businesses and take longer to have meaningful effect, it is widely felt that it will be the sanctions that finally bring Russian leadership down. There are hundreds of billions of dollars that have been frozen by various countries....
The loss of businesses and the ever increasing sanctions will make Russia howl.

Businesses leaving and sanctions are like Sherman's March to the Sea in our Civil War. As he sought to cut the CSA in half from Atlanta to Savannah, Sherman knew his real goal was to destroy the will of the civilian population to endure and produce for the CSA. Closed businesses and sanctions are doing that to the oligarchs in Russia as well as rank and file civilians. No Starbucks, no McDonalds, etc, will elicit howls.

Sherman's strategy was to take the farm output of Georgia to feed the U.S. Army and replace hundreds of horses and mules that died each day. Before leaving Atlanta for the coast, Sherman sent a telegram to General Grant explaining his strategy for the march to the sea: Sherman wrote "I will make Georgia howl." Did he ever. He took their cattle, hogs, poultry, grains, horses and mules which left nothing for the CSA forces chasing him. He made Georgia howl which not only broke the back of the CSA but it buoyed the resolve of the Union to press on to final victory.

Our strategy in Ukraine is to provide weapons and Lend-Lease type support on top of the sanctions. The awesome M777 howitzers are reported by the NY Times as now arriving in Ukraine where they will clobber Russian forces. Too bad they didn't get there in time to liberate the Azov Battalion at Mariupol.

Shuttered businesses and hard sanctions on Russia, Putin, the oligarchs and Russia's military are making Russia howl which will drive Russia out of Ukraine, and drive Putin out of power.

Excerpt from the NY Times article: "POKROVSK, Ukraine — Camouflaged in a heap of branches cut from nearby trees, the weapon that Ukraine hopes will make a critical difference in its war with Russia is all but invisible from more than a few feet away. Soon, a single round shoots out with a boom and a howling, metallic shriek as it sails toward Russian positions. It is the American-made M777 howitzer. It shoots farther, moves faster and is hidden more easily, and it’s what the Ukrainian military has been waiting for."

I'm looking forward to hearing how the M777s perform.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-23-2022 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 06:17 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't think I'm with you 100% on this.

I think the battle for Ukraine stands a good chance of being won by Ukraine.

I'm no military expert, nor do I play one on the internet, but can't help but notice that tomorrow marks 3 months since Russia invaded Ukraine, and Ukraine appears to be holding its own, whereas Russia appears to be bombing everything in range to rubble while invading and retreating from one small town after another.

Meanwhile, weapons and soldiers are pouring in, gearing up for an epic battle.
How do you define "holding its own"? It just lost major territory from east Ukraine (Donbas) to Crimea, including a wide coastal corridor connecting those two areas, which represents Russia's latest victory. Russia has already annexed the Donbas as new districts of Russia. I need to understand your concept of "Ukraine holding its own".

Old 05-23-2022, 06:48 PM

10,845 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I hope you know by now that Ukraine is a terrorist state and it wouldn't hesitate to target Putin while he'd be visiting troops, particularly with a "little help" from the Western friends.

thats not terrorism. its called justice.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:56 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you define "holding its own"? It just lost major territory from east Ukraine (Donbas) to Crimea, including a wide coastal corridor connecting those two areas, which represents Russia's latest victory. Russia has already annexed the Donbas as new districts of Russia. I need to understand your concept of "Ukraine holding its own".
A corridor from Donbas to Crimea? Do you realize how pitifully little this is in exchange for 3 months of war, and thousands dead?

Russia has retreated from their attack on Kyiv, and now is retreating from the their attack on Kharkiv. Their big "success" is occupying Mariupol. That took a couple months and I'd bet good money the Ukrainians will be back.

So, yes, I'd say they are "holding their own".

Old 05-23-2022, 07:56 PM

2,317 posts, read 959,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, they ARE nazis, what else am I supposed to call them?
The Ukrainian armed forces consist of two halves, the regular, relatively decent soldiers (although still worse than Russians), and the nazis.

And the funny thing is that they themselves make no secret of it, to the contrary, they brag about it. You probably don't know that if your information comes from MSM, which try to avoid such footage.
And they tattoo it all over their bodies:
https://t.me/sputnik/4473
https://t.me/intelslava/29446

And they proudly talk about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfaAyiP8Wuc

Even our own govt admitted it.

Quote:
On 11 June 2015 the US House of Representative passed amendments blocking any training of Azov by US forces, citing its neo-Nazi background as the reason.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:19 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Even our own govt admitted it.
Yea but that was 2015. It's different now...they are the good guys and no one mentions the "Neo nazis'.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:41 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
Todays Update....sounds like bunch of stuff is going down

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-may-23

Quote:
Russian nationalist figures are increasingly criticizing the failures of Russia’s “special military operation” in Ukraine and are calling for further mobilization that the Kremlin likely remains unwilling and unable to pursue in the short term

The Assembly’s letter may be a leading indicator of elements of the Russian government and society setting informational conditions to declare partial mobilization. However, the Kremlin has so far declined to take this step likely due to concerns over domestic backlash and flaws in Russia’s mobilization systems

More Russians supportive of the Kremlin and the Russian invasion of Ukraine are beginning to criticize the Kremlin openly

Unidentified assailants continued attacks against military recruitment offices in Russia on May 23, indicating growing discontent with conscription

The UK Ministry of Defense reported that Russia has suffered a similar death toll within the first three months of the invasion of Ukraine as was experienced by the Soviet Union over the course of nine years in Afghanistan.
Key Takeaways

Quote:
Russian nationalist figures (including veterans and military commentators) are increasingly criticizing the failures of Russia’s “special military operation” in Ukraine and are calling for further mobilization that the Kremlin likely remains unwilling and unable to pursue in the short term.

Russian forces around Izyum increased their tempo of air and artillery strikes and likely intend to attempt to resume stalled offensive operations in the coming days.

Russian operations to encircle Severodonetsk made minor gains in the past 24 hours, driving north through Zolote. Fighting is ongoing in Lyman (north of Severodonetsk) as Russian forces attempt to cut off Ukrainian supply lines

Russian forces will likely make further minor gains west of Popasna in the near future but are unlikely to be able to quickly seize Bakhmut.

The Ukrainian counteroffensive northeast of Kharkiv continues to threaten Russian positions and is forcing Russia to pull units from ongoing offensive operations in eastern Ukraine to shore up their defensive positions near Vovchansk.
Immediate items to watch

Quote:
Russian forces are likely reinforcing their grouping north of Kharkiv City to prevent further advances of the Ukrainian counteroffensive toward the Russian border. Russan forces may commit elements of the 1st Tank Army to Northern Kharkiv in the near future.

The Russians will continue efforts to encircle Severodonetsk and Lysychansk at least from the south, possibly by focusing on cutting off the last highway connecting Severodonetsk-Lysychansk with the rest of Ukraine.

Russian forces in Mariupol will likely shift their focus to occupational control of the city as the siege of Azovstal has concluded.

Russian forces are likely preparing for Ukrainian counteroffensives and settling in for protracted operations in southern Ukraine.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:10 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
Hmmmm....maybe the world will catch a break from Providence

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/st...82092435570693

Quote:
The Russian Telegram Channel General SVR claims that Putin went through surgery in the middle of the night between May 16-17. He does not state what surgery, but other rumors claim that it was abdomen cancer. Allegedly, Putin was out of reach May 17-19 for all but N. Patrushev.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:34 PM

8,135 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Todays Update....sounds like bunch of stuff is going down

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-may-23

Key Takeaways

Immediate items to watch
I don't know, it appears to me that the UK ministry of Defense should at least try to get their story straight. They have reported similar or actually higher losses a while back. As I previously said if all reported numbers were correct the war should had been over or mostly over by now.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Hmmmm....maybe the world will catch a break from Providence

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/st...82092435570693
Ok now when was it last that we heard from the clown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies