Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 12:54 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Russia is clearly in violation of the Budapest agreement that disarmed the Ukraine of nuclear weapons. Russia, the US and the UK gave security assurances to protect it in exchange. So we certainly should be helping defend them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budape...ity_Assurances
The Russian spies here would never acknowledge that violation. They try hard to spin their narrative while forgetting that people are not easily brainwashed. Putin is a thug and murderer who invaded his neighbor.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:56 PM

10,851 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
You are too alarmist. Putin and Russians enjoy living on earth as much as we do. Putin understands the language of strength.

they just clarified and I recall best I can as I was driving: we have enough weapons to destroy the US and all of nato. russia does not want to live on a planet that does not have russia in it, so we will use them.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:09 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It certainly seems that way...it's like he has an aversion to say something is 'wrong'... to the Jan 6 crowd and now to Putin.
The classic rebel without a cause, the classic bad boy going against any conventional thinking.
It seems.
Many people are saying classic megalomaniac.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Putin is a thug and murderer who invaded his neighbor.
Well, THAT is clear. He has a different mentally than good, sane, peace loving people.
We've seen this in every Mafia movie...''Bang you're dead'' mentality...even to a nephew.

It's a diff mind set...''They are weak; take whatever we want. Survival of the most brutal.''
Putin could care less what the Western World thinks. He sees weakness.
IMO.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Many people are saying classic megalomaniac.
Do we, in the West, really have words in our DSM-V to explain a mind with this Russian thinking?
Can we explain the mind of a Neanderthal ? I dunno...I'm asking.
A savage Ghengis Khan or Caligula bombing apt buildings now of simple people making
potato cabbage casseroles for dinner? (I hear hospitals now?)

Old 02-27-2022, 01:29 PM

10,851 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Another must read. From al jaz and one of the more world wide renown analysts (read: non US MSM). It is about the view of america on the world stage and includes admins previous to biden, but most critical on biden.

In short: this is why our constant bleating on woke and equity is why no one takes us serious.

This writing is what objective reporting looks like, coming from someone with strong views, but does not interject them

read every word. its not that long, should take most no more than 5 minutes.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2...ded-on-america

btw, as I typed this, excellent analyst jennifer griffin, a woman, explained nearly word for word russian nuclear doctrine, exactly as I described it 50 pages ago. Tell me, since no one thinks women can be smart, how do we have adults like her who understand it TODAY, as well as we were taught it over 40 years ago, coexist with the morons, yes morons who are not seeing this as the most dangerous moment in our time? I am swearing at tv screens when she speaks first, and then jen comes on with her drug induced drivel about being less reliant on oil

Zelenskyy is weaing body armor and carrying side arms, broadcasting to his people from a cell phone, being a leader.

where is ours? I have heard nothing...

Old 02-27-2022, 01:30 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Moving NATO east one country at a time while Russia was weak in the 1990s to early 2000s was a huge provocation.
With the recent object lesson in what happens when you're close to Russia and not in NATO, perhaps it was a smart move on the involved countries' part? Why should Russia even get a vote when it comes to, say, Estonia or Poland's foreign policy?

No one has entered Russian territory, Russia merely has an inflated idea of the amount of power and respect they're entitled to. Of course Russia would much prefer to deal with small neighboring countries on a one-on-one basis where Russia wields power - and that's exactly why the only intelligent choice for the smaller countries is to form alliances.

Russia may consider it a "provocation" that they can't dictate Estonia's foreign policy, but most people outside Russia would rather that Estonia make her own decisions.

Again - Eastern Europe lived under Russia's thumb for decades, and they really, really do not want that again.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:32 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
How is a mutual defense pact provocative?

Old 02-27-2022, 02:00 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
How is a mutual defense pact provocative?
It's not. It's just an excuse, and more than a few people are dumb enough to fall for it. Others know it's nonsense, but dishonestly claim otherwise because... well, because they can't think of any other excuse to support Putin.

During the Cold War, the United States had more than 7000 nuclear weapons stationed in NATO countries in Europe. Today? There are ~150 U.S. nuclear weapons station in bases in Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Turley, and Germany (bases that are in what was once West Germany, not East Germany). In other words, far from the NATO nuclear posture increasing vis-a-vis Russia, it has drastically receded.

The nations of eastern Europe have embraced NATO membership precisely because they remember Russian depredations. The shameless attack on Finland in 1939. The secret protocols in the odious Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact that allowed Stalin to brutally seize the Baltic states. The horrific occupation and oppression from 1945 until 1989 of the bulk of eastern Europe. The opportunistic invasion of Georgia in 1989. The annexation and invasion of Crimea in 2014. And the current ongoing naked aggression.

NATO membership is, as noted, complete BS believed only by useful idiots. Putin is a revanchist, trying to erase Ukrainian identity and absorb it into Russia. The spectacle of eastern Slavs, virtually brothers of Russians, living in such proximity in a democratic nation is intolerable to the autocrat.

The Putin fanboys, as is their wont, have bet on the wrong horse.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:12 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Update from Ukranian gov't: 352 civilians killed, another 1,680 injured.

19 children killed, 102 injuried
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies