Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 03:20 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm thinking they are going to use chlorine gas on civilians. That is what they do.
They won't need to. Chernobyl is starting to become increasingly dangerous because the power's been disconnected and the radioactive materials stored in pools of water are starting to overheat. Plus the Russian occupiers haven't allowed the crew to be relieved since they took over the plant about two weeks ago. It could very well go critical again, especially if the Russians decide it's a loosing battle for them and do a scorched earth exit operation.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:20 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I doubt it's a lot. The ones with means, perhaps.

But Putin has an approval rating pushing 70%.

Who do you think the average Russian blames for their loss of McDonald's, Amazon and internet? Not Putin.
The ones with means is all that matters as the russian economy is being pummeled and the country was already an economic has been before all this. Canada has a larger economy than Russia with 1/4 of the people. If people with means continue to leave, it will be become more and more like a third world nation. Inflation will likely soon be at Argentina levels and it has a worthless currency.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:

Who do you think the average Russian blames for their loss of McDonald's, Amazon and internet? Not Putin.
Yes, unfortunately the average plebes among the Russian population don't get it and will never get it. As is evidenced by the shills we've seen right here on CDF.

Meanwhile, those Russians who recognize the shame and sin of Putin's invasion are fleeing by land into Finland, Turkey, etc. since they can't fly out, just so they don't get swept up with the already 15,000+ people arrested for demonstrating against the invasion.

The plebes are used to falling in line and taking their lumps. There is a video circulating where a female news reporter is trying to show Russian citizens the evidence of the Ukrainian atrocities and they not only refuse to look, one old lady's husband drags her out of the camera's view before they get identified and returned to the gulag.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:24 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:

just like China, I would be Leary of any official 'polls' coming out of their state run media.

I would hope they have adequate Russian home grown equivalents to those business too they can turn to.

I mean, how hard is it to cook a burger.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:38 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
I suspect there is a LEGAL reason why Poland proposed sending their MIGs to Germany.

Convention (V) respecting the Rights and Duties of Neutral Powers and Persons in Case of War on Land. The Hague, 18 October 1907.
CHAPTER I

THE RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF NEUTRAL POWERS

Article 1. The territory of neutral Powers is inviolable.

Art. 2. Belligerents are forbidden to move troops or convoys of either munitions of war or supplies across the territory of a neutral Power.

Art. 3. Belligerents are likewise forbidden to:
(a) Erect on the territory of a neutral Power a wireless telegraphy station or other apparatus forthe purpose of communicating with belligerent forces on land or sea;
(b) Use any installation of this kind established by them before the war on the territory of a neutral Power for purely military purposes, and which has not been opened for the service of public messages.
Art. 4. Corps of combatants cannot be formed nor recruiting agencies opened on the territory of a neutral Power to assist the belligerents.

Art. 5. A neutral Power must not allow any of the acts referred to in Articles 2 to 4 to occur on its territory. It is not called upon to punish acts in violation of its neutrality unless the said acts have been committed on its own territory.

Art. 6. The responsibility of a neutral Power is not engaged by the fact of persons crossing the frontier separately to offer their services to one of the belligerents.

Art. 7. A neutral Power is not called upon to prevent the export or transport, on behalf of one or other of the belligerents, of arms, munitions of war, or, in general, of anything which can be of use to an army or a fleet.

Art. 8. A neutral Power is not called upon to forbid or restrict the use on behalf of the belligerents of telegraph or telephone cables or of wireless telegraphy apparatus belonging to it or to companies or private individuals.

Art. 9. Every measure of restriction or prohibition taken by a neutral Power in regard to the matters referred to in Articles 7 and 8 must be impartially applied by it to both belligerents. A neutral Power must see to the same obligation being observed by companies or private individuals owning telegraph or telephone cables or wireless telegraphy apparatus.

Art. 10. The fact of a neutral Power resisting, even by force, attempts to violate its neutrality cannot be regarded as a hostile act.
Article 1 is default. Borders are inviolable. You must have justification to break someone's borders.

The problem for Poland lies in articles 6 and 7.

Art. 6. If I transport arms for a belligerent and does it PEACEFULLY, a neutral power is not legally obligated to stop me. The other belligerent(s) cannot hold the neutral power as complicit in the conflict. Article 1 remains valid.

Art. 7. Here is the problem for Poland.

It is Poland who is giving the MIGs to Ukraine, a belligerent against Russia. By giving the MIGs to Ukraine on Polish territory, Russia could interpret that to mean Poland is now a co-belligerent with Ukraine. Article 1 is now at risk for Poland.

But by moving the MIGs to Germany, articles 7 is now applicable to Germany. It is Poland who is now peacefully transporting weapons thru a neutral power and Germany is not obligated to stop Poland. The MIGs remains Polish properties, not Germany's. So article 1 remains valid for both countries. It would be tough for Russia to justify breaking article 1 on Poland because Poland is not conducting war against Russia from Polish soil. It will be Ukraine who will be using the weapons. The US is objecting because the transfer is supposed to take place on Ramstein, a German base hosting the USAF. An alternate solution is to use a civilian airport and cordoned off an area for this purpose.
Good point…get access or approval at a civilian airport and get it done! Whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Belarus ganged up with Russia to attack Ukraine. The time for politeness and etiquette is over.
Yep…I’m tired..Putin always saying this and that…call his bluff…we need to do what is right!

Quote:

His approval rating is based on only info by state media….no other media is allowed. But in this day and age, the Russian people will eventually know the truth…maybe not now but it will come out sooner or later.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:40 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
just like China, I would be Leary of any official 'polls' coming out of their state run media.

I would hope they have adequate Russian home grown equivalents to those business too they can turn to.

It wasn't a state run poll - it was considered fairly trustworthy by whatever msm site I read it on. I'm too lazy to find it now though. I'm sure if you're interested, you can quickly find it.

They most likely have Chinese equivalents - or will very soon.

Basically, we're probably succeeding in making them hate us more and pushing Russia & China closer together.

Yay USA.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:41 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
They won't need to. Chernobyl is starting to become increasingly dangerous because the power's been disconnected and the radioactive materials stored in pools of water are starting to overheat. Plus the Russian occupiers haven't allowed the crew to be relieved since they took over the plant about two weeks ago. It could very well go critical again, especially if the Russians decide it's a loosing battle for them and do a scorched earth exit operation.
I look at the misinformation put forth on this war by Russia and it's pretty much the same way they handled Chernobyl and it's pretty much the same, the party comes first and people are an after thought. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:42 PM

3,222 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It's starting to look like if Russia looses this thing, they might damage the Chernobyl NPP before they leave. Sort of like using Ukraine's own "nuke" to destroy them. Because right now, the power's been disconnected from Chernobyl. This power is used to cool nuclear materials stored in pools of water at the plant. Plus the crew that were on duty at the plant when Russia came in, have not been permitted to be relieved. So the same crew has been working for the past 2 weeks at the plant with no relief.
From what I have read what is left of the reactor is easily passively cooled, and even if all of the water evaporates the air will be enough to cool it.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:53 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post

I doubt that a poll is any more meaningful than the elections, the vote is rigged and so is the media. Last election his party won a questionable election and changed the constitution so he could run through 2036. The media wasn't informative before, working for a newspaper and telling the truth is risky business if you want to stay alive. This what an autocracy looks like with centralized power in the hands of Putin.

McDonalds has market share, if it was so easy to compete Russia would have their own chain.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:03 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Basically, we're probably succeeding in making them hate us more and pushing Russia & China closer together.
And then Russia will come to realize what happens when a descending great power tries to make deals with an ascending superpower.

Conventional wisdom saw Russia with two things going for them: Natural resources and a strong military. Looks like they'll be left with just the natural resources. And a much stronger country right next door, and isn't that ironic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies