Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2022, 07:42 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
What I find pretty ironic is that Putin supported EXACTLY the same thing in Syria. Pretty much pulverized that country, used chemical weapons in a barbaric war that killed roughly 500,000 many of them innocent civilians. The US stood by and more or less watched it happen while we chased ISIS around in a neighboring country.

But now that he is doing the same thing in Europe and his victims are "whiter" and "neighbors" to NATO countries, suddenly we've become very interested. Unfortunately that is what it took for NATO to finally wake up to Putin's threat to the world.

My opinion is that the stage is set for WW3 in Europe. I think the die is cast. Whether NATO engages Russia now in Ukraine or we engage him later when he invades the Balkans, it is just a matter of when, not if.

I tend to agree with Biden's delaying tactics. I strongly suspect that behind the scenes, the DOD and the Pentagon are actively preparing for full fledged war in Europe. Reality is that we aren't ready, Putin caught us with our pants down as usual. Just like the Kaiser in WW1 and Hitler in WW2.

My point is that the devastation of Ukraine may be the least of your worries over the next couple of years. No one on this forum or anywhere in the West really knows what pig Putin has in store for the world. This madman could deploy a nuke to test our resolve - and not bat an eyelash.

If I was a young man I'd be enlisting in the service at this point.
True but my god did you expect the Russian military to be this incompetent, I didn't...Putin caught Putin with his pants down. That's what happens in Autocratic regimes, the leaders surround themselves with "yes" men and eventually they lose touch with actual reality on the ground. Russia was not prepared for this and nobody could tell Putin otherwise. At the rate they are losing equipment...by April the entire invasion force will be mission non-capable and only able to do artillery attacks and maintain present positions.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/0...equipment.html

I saw a quote that WW3 has already started...it just hasn't been equally distributed yet.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

"Russia warned the United States that it would fire on weapon shipments to Ukraine, raising the risk of direct confrontation between Moscow and a NATO country"
I'm waiting for an errant Russian missile targeting a truck of weapons shipments at the Polish border to finally trigger NATO on striking back at the Russians and entering the conflict.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:38 PM

13,452 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
We heard these before. You brought on nothing new.

If not the preservation of liberal democracies, then US foreign policies are about the preservation of the powerful elites and their wealth. Got it...
If there is no democracy to preserve in the countries our government wages war then is about economic nomination unless you think is to save souls. Do you know the meaning of English words? preservation is the action of preserving something. Maintain in its original or existing state.

So we went to the Middle East and Afghanistan to preserve liberal democracies? thanks for the laugh.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:00 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
??? what did you go on vacation to disney or something? I have to recall the convo, as it was 400+ pages ago, but your first mention HERE, was not even a month ago. So perhaps it did matter, but not to the degree that would make you write about it.
If you think that writing on City-Data is the standard whereby a person's concern is to be deemed true and sincere, that's your prerogative.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:01 PM

13,452 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
A lotta people on here rooting' for Putin.

Russia's having a hard time feeding their troops and STILL don't have air superiority. They don't have nearly enough ground troops to occupy Kiev, let alone all the cities they are attacking.

All Russia is able to do now is cause misery and hope against hope that Ukraine caves, which is more unlikely with each passing. day. Even if Ukraine gives up, Russia loses because the population of Ukraine absolutely hates Russia now. And will for centuries.

I won't get a Russia's check if Putin stays or leaves. So you lost me with the b.s. of "rooting" for him. What's your excuse blindly rooting for Ukraine, you have bets in Vegas?

Russia has the #2 best military in the world behind the U.S. What b.s. you are repeating that in less than 2 weeks of a regional 1 sided war that is on their border that the #2 military in the world are out of food? You know how stupid that sounds? Ukraine is blocking Russia of getting food to their military when they are next to them?

Who is blocking Russia in getting food to their troops on the border ? Russia has 3,829 active aircraft. Ukraine has 56. Do you need to go to remedial math? of course Russia has air superiority, land superiority and Naval superiority. Russia has more than 300 warships, submarines and warfare boats and over 160,000 active Naval members to 6,500 active personnel in Ukraine with 27 combat ships.

This is a 1 side war. Unless the U.S. and NATO gets in there to stop the pounding, this is over! It's 2 weeks and you expect this to be over? loll This is a rookie boxer trying to survive a 12 round fight with Mike Tyson going backwards and being on defensive. He might survive for a few rounds then it's over.

Why do you keep repeating the media's propaganda of b.s., out of food? LOL

Old 03-12-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
The US did not invade Cuba. The US stepped to the line and blockaded Cuba. But behind closed doors, the US and the SU were negotiating and agreed to remove missile from Turkey. In other words, there was quid pro quo.
Would U.S. missiles have been taken from Turkey if Soviet missiles hadn't been placed in Cuba?

Old 03-12-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
When did Ukraine join NATO or become home to nuclear-tipped missiles?
I never said Ukraine has become a member of NATO.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
well it is apparent the answer is yes, and I dont have to guess, putin has said so, as recently as now.

do you know what annex means? Your statements indicate you might not, as recently as now.

and before you reply your expected retort, study and read or else I will eviscerate your argument. I got a couple decade head start on you here...
I don't know what "annex" means and you tell me to study and read because if I don't, you'll "eviscerate" my argument.

I'm laughing. Thanks for the late-night chuckles.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:20 PM

1,874 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
If there is no democracy to preserve in the countries our government wages war then is about economic nomination unless you think is to save souls. Do you know the meaning of English words? preservation is the action of preserving something. Maintain in its original or existing state.

So we went to the Middle East and Afghanistan to preserve liberal democracies? thanks for the laugh.
For someone who thinks he is more 'enlightened' than others, you seems terribly shortsighted.

There are many ways to defend liberal democracies, one of them is swallow our bile and deal with those whose ways we cannot change. At least they are not hostile to us for as long as we can tolerate each other. The US did allied with Russia against Germany, right? One of the open secrets with the F-15 guys is that whenever they host the Saudis, they quietly lower the standards and give the Saudi pilot princes assorted certificates of 'achievements' so they can make their fathers proud. So we wasted a few sheets of paper and printing ink just to keep the Saudi's good graces just for a bit longer. Geopolitical diplomacy is no different. We do not have to share common morals, just common interests. As long as those common interests last, we are preserved and defended.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
This post if full of great insight, I agree fully. Isn’t it odd that this neocon Victoria Nuland has served under Bush, Obama and now Biden? And that during the gap in her service during the Trump administration there was no conflict?
Yes.

While I voted for President Trump twice and would vote for him again if he ran again, I am not all too keen on exploiting any and every event/situation to brag about my party/side and to condemn the other party/side, even though that's all too common nowadays.

However, a more analytical approach would be to conclude that one of the very reasons the media, both parties, so many politicians, big tech, and any and every person we knew who was otherwise reasonable but who developed a visceral hatred of all things Trump reflected that the establishment - the deep state - opposed Trump, among other reasons, for his desire to improve relations with Russia.

A mistake he made was that he thought he needed to prove that he wasn't "soft" on Russia, and that's why under Trump, so many sanctions against Russia were put in place.

The U.S. foreign policy establishment has not only disrespected and condescended to Russia since the demise of the USSR, but it has lied to it, broken promises, and moved NATO eastward. These neoconservatives have as an objective the weakening of Russia to the extent it either becomes a client state or it is broken into smaller countries, which are then either neutralized or all turned into client states.

Large and militarily powerful countries like Russia and China are led by men who are not necessarily Boy Scouts and who have their agendas. But the simplest of reasons as to why the U.S. can't push Russia or China around the way it can lord it over so many others is that those countries have the means to strike back at the U.S. in a very painful manner. El Salvador can't, South Korea can't, Japan can't, and Germany can't.

It boggles the mind that Nuland, having said "F--- the EU" in that leaked phone call and with all she did to contribute to the mess in Ukraine, has a job again - unless one considers that Biden was Obama's VP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies