Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 10:24 AM

8,501 posts, read 3,339,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
For two years I heard about BLM, reparations, and free college. Now with D's in control there's no money for those programs but we have billions to give to neo nazi militias?
The battalions - there are more than 50 - formed in 2014 as local defense units of volunteers that were funded independently (often by oligarchs) after the then untrained Ukrainian army and police were overwhelmed by separatist attacks in the Donbas. Separatist who were weaponized and soon supported with Russian troops (theoretically 'on leave').

Because the militias now fall under the command of the Interior Ministry of Ukraine (which is a recognized country) and are attached to the National Guard their actions have legal status.

That does not mean, however, the governmental can fully control them - and at times the Ukrainian armed forces have clashed with a militia. Still, militia membership had only been about 7,000 although with the coming conflict the units actively recruited and trained volunteers certainly expanding their size. The vast number of these new volunteers joined due to patriotism and Russian-aggression.

It is correct, however, that pre-existing (but again small) fascist organizations were folded into certain militias in 2014 even leading, for example the Azov Battalion. It is also undeniable the Ukrainian government has not fully investigated and judged possible crimes committed by Azov (or other militia) members.

Interestingly, a substantial number of Azov fighters originate from the Donbass region. Donbass is their home turf. Most are Russian-speakers, at least a few ethnic Russian or holding Russian citizenship. This flames the hatred between that unit and the Separatist movement, which also (in part) organizes itself into militias. Encouraging civil rights violations both by Azov and Separatist militias.

Still, this is why Azov unit is based on Mariupol and why it fought so hard and so effectively for Mariupol in 2014. In contrast, to the Ukrainian army then composed, in part, of untrained conscripted with no ties to that section of the country. It's because the Ukrainian government needed its military support that it tolerated Azov neo-Nazi ideology. Not because the government itself is neo-Nazi, as Putin charges.

When fighting for home, fighters tend to be more 'motivated.' True for Azov in 2014. True now for the larger Ukrainian army (now better trained and equipped) in 2022 as it opposes this invasion.

https://military-history.fandom.com/...lions_(Ukraine)

Old 03-16-2022, 10:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Simply put...Zelensky wants the US Congress to defy the US President and declare a no fly zone.
He needs a veto-proof Congress. He does not have it!

Old 03-16-2022, 10:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Is it? I mean, these people were just trying to get something to eat. That's no reason to put them out of their misery. A wedding on the other hand...
These are the things that happen during wars, even American soldiers have done some brutal things in past wars...it is what it is.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:28 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
If true, it’s wrong and should be condemned. But I’m not taking Ukrainian sources as the gospel here, especially when they boast that anyone in the Ukraine who wants an AK-47 can get one. It wouldn’t shock me if one of these civilians was armed and attempting to attack Russian troops.

Now, should Russian troops have been in the country to begin with if my hypothesis is correct and the above is how things went down? No, but that doesn’t change that I want better sourced reporting, which I know can be difficult to get during war times.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:31 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
That sounds alot like Russian propaganda.
My bad.

Let me re-post the story “the ghost of Kyiv”

Old 03-16-2022, 10:33 AM

4,297 posts, read 1,555,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The Russians are the ones that invaded their country without provocation and are bombing it to hell and killing and raping innocent civilians. This gives the Ukrainians every right to do whatever they want to the Russians far as I'm concerned.
Does the Geneva convention apply to a defending army? It's my understanding that it does, and while I share your POV that the Ukrainians are the ones defending their country bravely, I cannot turn a blind eye to atrocities committed by them on the basis that I support their objectives. That way leads to utter chaos.

I would also say, we don't know 100% for sure about the raping of civilians, as I said the fog of war is thick, but history teaches us that it happens in almost every conflict, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:34 AM

43,078 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The point is that Zelensky thinks he can bypass the US President if he pleas directly to Congress.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:37 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,141 times
Quote:
The point is that Zelensky thinks he can bypass the US President if he pleas directly to Congress.
All he is doing is applying as much pressure as he possibly can...and he is doing it masterfully.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:40 AM

6,660 posts, read 2,966,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Quote:

I'm a little lost on this.

Ukraine should be the only one who has a say in who flies over their own airspace.
They are not NATO. They are not under US jurisdiction or anything, right?

What we say basically means nothing unless we want to take responsibility for enforcing that which we have no 'official' obligation to do.

Is Zelensky skipping ranks and protocol here by appealing directly to congress?!

Old 03-16-2022, 10:46 AM

4,546 posts, read 2,268,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
normstad, don’t forget to put Ukraine flag on your social media profile to show your support for Ukraine and to condemn Putin. That will teach Vladimir Putin

Oh good! Is that all that I need to do to stop the war? Whew, for a while there, I thought that my son in the military might have to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies