Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 09:55 AM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I read that Zelensky spoke to NATO yesterday and wants all limits removed on what type of weapons countries can send to him.
He wants them all and he wants more money.

Biden promised him another $1 billion.

well the congress thingy we used approved around $14B, or roughly just shy of the budget of the NYPD.

If $1B is on the fedex planes...where is the rest?

Old 03-24-2022, 10:01 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
meh. in the rest of the civilized world, 'provoked' to the point of killing babies usually means, firing weapons, kidnapping people on the high seas - yanno, actions not words. anything less is typical russian BS. Your guy has been pointing armed missiles at me all my life, by your reasoning we - the US - should have invaded russia decades ago and turned it into the largest 18 hole golf course on the planet.

If the circumstances permit, we have already made the determination you all are war criminals and will swing. not only putin, but EVERYONE who parroted the BS.

Whats in your wallet?

The notion that it is Ukraine's fault that Putin attacked, that he was "provoked," is just so much BS.

I don't care how "provoked" the man was, this was a wrong move.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:06 AM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
both of you are missing the point.

And not addressing Russia's invasion of Ukraine. But I guess maybe that is your intent.

Are you For the invasion of Ukraine? and if so Why?
I am against the invasion of Ukraine. But I want people to see that if they are against the invasion of Ukraine, they should also view the US actions very similarly to Russia.

I have been anti-war long before Russia invaded Ukraine. I want more people to join with me. The US invaded Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, etc. for nothing but money. There never was any good intentions in any of those places. And the horrors that resulted are so incredibly bad that Americans cant bring themselves to believe that their government/military would do such a thing.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:08 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
WMD? Are you of the understanding that the US invades any country that possesses WMD? Can you name some countries that the US has invaded for having WMDs? The US doesnt invade countries for having them and even if they had any WMDs, any Iraqi WMDs wouldnt pose a threat to America. Nobody actually believes that the US invaded Iraq over WMDs.

Do you have any idea how many innocent people were butchered by the US in the 2003 invasion? How about how many people's property was destroyed and lives ruined?

You are standing up for evil politiicans. Why do you want to take the side of US politicians who make war for nothing but money? Do you think that you are obligated to support the US politicians actions of mass murder because you are an American citizen?
The whataboutism is strong in this one.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:11 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelvingSmugs View Post
NATO is officially saying that they estimate Russian military deaths is somewhere between 7,000 to 15,000

And what is telling is that the amount of injured compared to the amount of dead is very close to 1.5:1 or 1:1

Which is not normal. Usually the ratio for injured to dead would be like 3:1, or up to 5:1.

So, either they have 20,000 to 40,000 soldiers injured, and they just aren't telling us about it. Or, their medical evacuations are so bad or non-existant, that if a Russian soldier gets injured, there's no logistics to help them, and they eventually end up dying, which explains the low ratio.
Just to let you know, Russia cut off twitter to all Russian iPhone/smart phone with a Russia ip on Feb 28, 2022. In Ukraine, Russian smart phone still will not work.

A Russian soldier would have to purchase a brand new smart phone with a Ukraine ip to connect with twitter.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:12 AM

6,661 posts, read 2,966,569 times
Quote:
I am against the invasion of Ukraine. But I want people to see that if they are against the invasion of Ukraine, they should also view the US actions very similarly to Russia.

I have been anti-war long before Russia invaded Ukraine. I want more people to join with me. .
That's great that you are anti-war. I'd hope more people are.

That's a general argument that can be had, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The whataboutism is strong in this one.
is right. Pointing at others and saying what about them, isn't stopping Putin right now from his campaign. And only leads more to be apologetic to his current actions. Ultimately the opposite of anti-war.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:14 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
I am against the invasion of Ukraine.
So am I. so what do you suggest the world should do? Because hand-wringing about the US' past sins is guaranteed to do absolutely nothing.

And using a bunch of dead Ukrainian civilians as a lectern to deliver that sermon is, frankly, a little unethical.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

The notion that it is Ukraine's fault that Putin attacked, that he was "provoked," is just so much BS.

I don't care how "provoked" the man was, this was a wrong move.
And now it is on display for the whole world to see, what happens when a weasel-faced garden gnome pretends to be the alpha-est alpha male on the block.

He can wrap himself in his $16,000 designer puffer jackets and $9,000 boots, pour billions into his flotilla of garish, vulgar "super yachts", and summon half the country to his Poopin parade, still just a weasel-faced garden gnome underneath it all.

Still wondering when it dawns on the Russian civilians to take a look at the emperor's new clothes.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:16 AM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
is right. Pointing at others and saying what about them, isn't stopping Putin right now from his campaign. And only leads more to be apologetic to his current actions. Ultimately the opposite of anti-war.
We have the ability to address multiple issues. Stopping Putin is one issue. But we can learn more from this issue if we also recognize that the US government is no different from Putin. I am sure the US will be banging war drums to invade some poor country in the future, if we have learned something by then maybe we can stop it.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:24 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
OK. We all recognize that some believe the US is no different than Russia when it comes to invading other nations.

Got it.

Can we move, or must we go over this feeble attempt at whataboutism over again, and again, and again, and ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies