Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 309 times

Advertisements

A colossal explosion, a powerful rocket attack on the Retroville shopping center in Kiev. The missile strike was carried out after Russian intelligence received evidence that Ukraine was harboring Grad multiple launch rocket systems and other equipment at civilian facilities. In the video, a Ukrainian rocket launcher fires a salvo at Russian troops, after which it leaves for a shopping center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb3ghMak9Zs

The destruction of the Buk air defense system of the armed forces of Ukraine by the Russian operational-tactical complex Iskander. The Iskander missile attack was carried out after receiving intelligence data from a Russian UAV patrolling an area in the Kiev region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rRFcYfB1m0

Old 03-26-2022, 11:07 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Blow Biden about to give a "major speech" in Poland. How far into it until he embarrasses the country? He has already set back US/Russian relations 60 years.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:14 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
Warsaw 1945.

Mariupol 2022.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:27 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Up to nine Russian generals killed, now.
General McCaffrey, in interview, says the problem with the Russian army is that it does not have a strong corps of career non commissioned officers, who would normally lead things on the battlefield. So the generals themselves go out there and get themselves killed instead.
Ukraine now has more tanks than when the war started. They are all familiar with Russian tanks, so they take the ones that have been abandoned and put it to use.
Ukranians managed to hit a ship in port and damaged it severely. Pictures everywhere of it on fire.

I doubt that Putin is sleeping well.
I also think it's important to remember that when people are conditioned to avoid learning critical thinking skills and to obey a tyrant, with control being so thorough and top heavy, these officers are having to second guess themselves based on how they've been conditioned to follow more so than to lead, afraid of getting "disappeared" if they displease their dear leader - it's possible that these officers are making poor choices because they have not developed good decision-making and leadership skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
so true. it was pointed out a few weeks ago that the russian ambassador to lithuania, latvia and estonia told them that since they are sooooo dependent on russia for fuel, capitulate and they will get fuel hyper cheap, leave nato and be a nato buffer.

their answer? most of the deployed nato troops and UK hardware went THERE.
I'm getting the feeling that Russians have much to learn about "reading the room."

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Dear Lord - twitter is down for any device with a Russian IP. There is no way the Moscow City Duma deputy is on twitter.
I'll give you this - you are consistent in your obtuseness and knee-jerk responses that demonstrate misplaced indignation. It's quite amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
He is not on Twitter, just a copy of a document.
None so blind that will not see anything that might unravel their tunnel vision of greater Russia, n'est-ce pas?

Quote:
Can you read the document? Can you tell me exactly what it means?
Why don't you do us a solid Comrade, and translate it for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Following the links before commenting can be very rewarding.
Anything to blindly ignore reality that risks tarnishing their vision of Russian Empire-building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Ideas about other actions NATO countries could take to help Ukraine: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ukr...ions-1.6397638
I like the cut of your jib, Irene. Keep 'em coming - and ignore that one poster whose obsessed with walls of text and links to "refute" - each time I see the wall of text, I'm craving me lucky breakfast cereal.

"It's me Lucky Whatabouts! They're logically fallacious!"

Quote:
Even a "burner phone" has a country of origin IP address.
Still going to double down, after several posters pointed out your fallacy. Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Blow Biden about to give a "major speech" in Poland. How far into it until he embarrasses the country? He has already set back US/Russian relations 60 years.
Actually, that would be Putin. Putin, he's the one who set back Russian/The Free World relations for 100 years.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:30 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
The quote itself was from:

Quote:
The foremost organisation for international legal practitioners, bar associations and law societies. Established in 1947, shortly after the creation of the United Nations, the IBA was born out of the conviction that an organisation made up of the world's bar associations could contribute to global stability and peace through the administration of justice. In the ensuing 75 years since its creation, the organisation has evolved, from an association comprised exclusively of bar associations and law societies, to one that incorporates individual international lawyers and entire law firms. The present membership is comprised of more than 80,000 individual international lawyers from most of the world’s leading law firms and some 190 bar associations and law societies spanning more than 170 countries.

The IBA has considerable expertise in providing assistance to the global legal community, and through its global membership it influences the development of international law reform and shapes the future of the legal profession throughout the world.

If the domestic Russia News Agency was repeating it, at least, it was factual.

NPR had a series of reports on the UN Peacekeepers in the early 2000's. I used to listen after I dropped my kids off at preschool and I cried the whole way home - just the worst abuses. Girls and boys being raped in exchange for enough food to live another day. The last person I would ever want to see is a UN peacekeeper.
What am I missing here? Not understanding the reference to the IBA. Per my Reuters cite:

Quote:
Russia sees no reason for United Nations peacekeepers to be sent to Ukraine, RIA news agency quoted the Russian foreign ministry as saying.

Pyotr Ilyichev, director of the minitry's international organisations department, said there was no need for peacekeepers as Russia was in control, RIA reported.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ia-2022-03-14/
Pyotr Viktorovich Ilyichev is a Russian diplomat to the United Nations. But he was speaking on behalf of Russia.

The reason I mentioned the UN word was because I was skimming attempting to grasp why the Donbass civil war remained so inflamed, positions the Ukrainian government and Russia may have taken. Then stumbled across this bizarre Ilyichev statement. That is fed to the Russian public distorting their view of what's happening in Ukraine. That's all.

Note to add: Normally attempt to avoid personal references here. Long interested in world conflicts I've spent time in places attempting to meet and speak - very informally, no organizational role - with people representing both sides. Here, I got to know some UN peacekeepers in Lebanon on leave in Israel. Some are creeps, yes. Still the UN wasn't the point of my post, which was Russian propaganda.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:37 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,404 times
Ukraine lost the war in the first few days. Hence Zelensky's continued pleas for outside military intervention.

I honestly did not think people could have been so gullible as to think Ukraine is winning the war. Ukraine has been destroyed and the majority of its cities have been taken, or partially taken, or under heavy artillery fire. Ukrainian soldiers have conceded the majority of the territory, the one that matters anyway, and have entrenched themselves within the cities to draw the Russians in and force them into urban warfare.

The Russians are not trying to pulverize Ukraine, which they are capable of doing with conventional weapons. They are not trying to kill everyone or occupy all cities. To quote the Pentagon "they have surrounded Kiev, and are not trying to advance". The main goals of the invasion have been accomplished :

-Ukraine will never be a part of NATO and it will cease to exist as a sovereign nation with territorial integrity.

-On top of Crimea, Donbass and Donetsk have effectively been annexed whether Zelensky agrees or not.

-Ukraine's military capabilities have been destroyed. The Ukrainian soldiers are fighting a guerilla war now, as they cannot fight a conventional war anymore. Ukrainians are begging for foreign men to replace their casualties. They are begging for planes. They are begging for weapons. They have lost almost all aircrafts (that's why they were begging for Poland to send them their planes), airfields (that's why they asked Poland to allow the use of its airfields), most military bases, their missiles (that's why NATO is sending new ones, but it's doubtful the weapons are even reaching the front lines).

You guys here gloating about how Ukraine is winning somehow, I don't know what you're thinking. Do you seriously believe the lies about 40K casualties, soldiers killing their own commanders and all the other nonsense. To quote another poster, you would not recognize propaganda if it fell on your head with "this is propaganda" written in yellow letters.

Russia has actually proven it can successfully invade and occupy a country and no one can do a damn thing about it because everyone is afraid of triggering a much larger conflict which will be costly for all sides. There is no certainty at this point that NATO will even defend the smaller ex soviet states if push came to shove.

Last edited by Sorel36; 03-26-2022 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 11:38 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,776 times
This sums it up

Old 03-26-2022, 11:42 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Ukraine lost the war in the first few days. Hence Zelensky's continued pleas for outside military intervention.

I honestly did not think people could have been so gullible as to think Ukraine is winning the war. Ukraine has been destroyed and the majority of its cities have been taken, or partially taken, or under heavy artillery fire. Ukrainian soldiers have conceded the majority of the territory, the one that matters anyway, and have entrenched themselves within the cities to draw the Russians and force them into urban warfare.

The Russians are not trying to pulverize Ukraine, which they are capable of doing with conventional weapons. They are not trying to kill everyone or occupy all cities. To quote the Pentagon "they have surrounded Kiev, and are not trying to advance". The main goals of the invasion have been accomplished :

-Ukraine will never be a part of NATO and it will cease to exist as a sovereign nation with territorial integrity.

-On top of Crimea, Donbass and Donetsk have effectively been annexed whether Zelensky agrees or not.

-Ukraine's military capabilities have been destroyed. The Ukrainian soldiers are fighting a guerilla war now, as they cannot fight a conventional war anymore. Ukrainians are begging for foreign men to replace their casualties. They are begging for planes. They are begging for weapons. They have lost almost all aircrafts (that's why they were begging for Poland to send them their planes), airfields (that's why they asked Poland to allow the use of its airfields), most military bases, their missiles (that's why NATO is sending new ones, but it's doubtful the weapons are even reaching the front lines).

You guys here gloating about Russia's defeat, I don't know what you're thinking. Do you seriously believe the lies about 40K casualties, soldiers killing their own commanders and all the other nonsense. To quote another poster, you would not recognize propaganda if it fell on your head with "this is propaganda" written in yellow letters.

Russia has actually proven it can successfully invade and occupy a country and no one can do a damn thing about it because everyone is afraid of triggering a much larger conflict which will be costly for all sides. There is no certainty at this point that NATO will even defend the smaller ex soviet states if push came to shove.
A very competent and sober analysis. This makes the most sense.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:45 AM

10,847 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Even a "burner phone" has a country of origin IP address.

hold on a sec....you dont get an ip address until you connect to a network.

a phone has a mac and an EIN (EISN? I forget without lookingitup)

if you goto another network, if it allows you, the network changes and will most likely change IP. if we assigned IPv4 devices fixed IP to phones, we would have exhausted long ago, and even IPV6, you destroy a lot of 'name space' - people change phones - non drug dealers or spies, like 4:1, 5:1 over pcs.(if you are like say verizon, you can theoretically go coast to coast on the same network)

adding: I found a little primer online...

Quote:
If you connect to the internet using Wi-Fi, it is the internet service provider that gives you an IP address and grants you access to the internet. Your online activity goes through them, and they route it back to you using your IP address. If you use mobile data to connect to the internet, then it’s the mobile network that assigns your phone an ISP address.
A smartphone’s networking software is designed to follow Internet Protocol or the rules and regulations of connecting to the internet and sending data back and forth on it. As such, all your internet activity has an IP address attached to it, so that your online requests can be sent and returned to the correct user.
However, the IP address is not permanent, even if you’re using the same device. If you turn your router off at home, the IP address may change. When connecting to a public Wi-Fi in a different location, the IP address for your phone will change. If you switch between using Wi-Fi and using your mobile network data, your phone’s IP address can change.

How do I check my phone’s IP address?

Private IP address (local home network)

Android
Finding the local IP address on Android smartphones may differ from device to device depending on the version of Android. Generally, you need to go to Settings and navigate to the Wi-Fi settings. If not already connected to a Wi-Fi network, you need to do so in order to see the IP address.
Once you’re connected, tap on the network’s name to expand it and see the Advanced section. Here you will find all the network information, including IP address. The IPv6 address should appear at the bottom of the page.

iPhone
Head over to Settings and choose Wi-Fi. Connect to the Wi-Fi network if you haven’t already done so, then tap the network’s name to open more options. Here, you will see the IPv4 and IPv6 details for your smartphone.

Public IP address

Because a global IP address is open for any device on the internet to see, it’s very simple to find what yours is. All you have to do is launch your preferred internet browser and visit any of the many websites that will reveal your IP address to you. An example of such a site is WhatIsMyIP.
Some websites will give you more information than just your IP address. That’s because the IP address carries other information such as your location and ISP with it.

Can someone trace my phone using the IP address?

Generally speaking, it is possible to trace a phone using its IP address. However, it would be very difficult for the average person to do so, especially if they don’t know the IP address.
Remember, smartphones don’t have fixed IP addresses. Every time you log on to a mobile network or a Wi-Fi hotspot, the IP address may change. That makes it very challenging to guess someone’s IP address or keep one on file to use in the future to trace a phone.
Also, if your phone is not connected to the internet (switched off or in flight mode), it won’t have an IP address assigned to it, making it impossible to trace it that way.
Even if someone was able to find and trace your IP address on a public network, they won’t get much information in terms of the exact location. At best, the IP address would reveal the city the connected device is in, but it won’t show you an exact street address.
That being said, since your ISP is the one that assigns your router an IP address for your home network, they can locate you easily and track your activity. In most cases, internet service providers don’t share users’ IP address or their activity unless legally compelled to do so.

from: https://smartphonedomain.com/does-a-...an-ip-address/

Old 03-26-2022, 11:52 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
[…]

Russia “the superpower” can’t take a city 20 miles from their border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies