Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 02:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times

Advertisements

This is a war between US and Russia,Ukraine is just being used ,I feel very bad for the Ukrainians for what they are going thru,and not just them but rest of the world -poor countries eat a lot of bread,Turkey,Egypt,African countries and they are paying more for wheat.
We are all paying more for gas and oil,except India ,they have been picking up bargains from buying Russian oil.and probably China too.
Russian malls are empty,they are paying as well

Old 03-31-2022, 03:01 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Does anyone else think that Biden is prolonging this war? I’m hearing a lot of American generals saying that he is not giving the Ukrainian military enough hardware and or advanced hardware that they need to win.
My thoughts are yes as his main concern is lining his pockets via kickbacks from the MIC. And he also wants to distract us from this terrible economy that he’s gotten us into.
Biden doesn’t decide how long this war lasts. Ukraine and Putin do.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:02 PM

4,963 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
It looks to me like ultimately Russia will end up with Crimea being officially theirs, the separate regions in the east being recognized as separate (or Russia's I dont know) and Ukraine agrees to not be a part of NATO. I think that is enough for Putin to claim a win and end things.
What you have stated is what Putin had communicated publicly that he wanted when the invasion first started. He doesn't want to conquer Ukraine, just provide safety for the two breakaway republics and the Crimea from incessant attacks and shelling by the Ukrainians since 2014. And to have them recognized as separate entities. And for Ukraine not to join NATO.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:02 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDuncanitis View Post
No, that's such a fox take.

He just provided thousands of switchblade drones to Ukraine.

But I'm sure military contractors would love for this to be prolonged. Even Hilary mentioned the prospects of using Ukraine to weaken Russia. So the only real reason this would be prolonged is military contracts, and the chance to weaken an adversary at the expense of Ukrainian lives.

Not to say I don't root for Ukraine, but to see this from an anti-imperialist perspective, you know there's some interest for the US to utilize the situation to their advantage.
I'm sure Russia destroyed Ukraine's homegrown military manufacturing bases.

However, American military contractors are very happy with this! Their stock prices are hitting the roof now!

If the USA cared about Ukraine's population, they would have insisted on Zelensky negotiating with Putin.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Does anyone else think that Biden is prolonging this war? I’m hearing a lot of American generals saying that he is not giving the Ukrainian military enough hardware and or advanced hardware that they need to win.
My thoughts are yes as his main concern is lining his pockets via kickbacks from the MIC. And he also wants to distract us from this terrible economy that he’s gotten us into.
I have no doubt about Biden prolonging this war! Gets Afghanistan off the front page, Hunter's laptop is off the front page, and those pesky midterm elections seem more hopeful now!

I have no doubt Zelensky is way over his head and needs to be brought to the negotiating table even if he is kicking and screaming.

Sending in more NATO hardware will only prolong Ukrainians suffering. If we ratch it up, so will the Russian. By the time, Ukraine wins, it will be wiped off the planet. There is no upside to this conflict.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:11 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Biden doesn’t decide how long this war lasts. Ukraine and Putin do.
He does, or the US government does. If they stop military assistance, it's over for Ukraine. Although NATO has been sending a lot of weapons, especially the UK, I don't think they can support Ukraine without the USA.

Last edited by davidt1; 03-31-2022 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-31-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Those who consider themselves to be seriously interested in this Ukraine invasion might learn an awful lot about Putin by reading up on the Chechen War.

Russia invaded; Russia lost and suffered great loss of life and equipment; Russia appointed Putin, re-invaded and pounded Chechnya to powder.

Chechnya, however, was a republic within Russia, not an independent country. It had a population of about 1M and had some oil, but Russia was willing to take huge losses in order to win.

Chechens, who are Muslims, carried out terrorist bombing within Russia and that stopped but it took YEARS!

The Ukraine war is very different, but has some of the same people - Putin, etc. - involved.

Your thoughts?

It's been put out by the NYT and The Washington Post this week.

I don't have any personal knowledge but evidentially, there are serious parallels with Chechen War.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:19 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,141 times
The majority of what is taking place right now in this war is covert. It's not going to make it into the headlines...nor should it.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:20 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Putin promised to respect Ukraine's sovereignty when Russia, the USA, and the UK signed the Budapest Memorandum, but Putin broke that promise and Russia invaded Crimea and the Donbas regions.

Putin said they were withdrawing troops from the border and would not invade Ukraine, but Putin broke that promise and invaded.

Putin promised to withdraw troops, but Russian troops are shelling cities in Ukraine.

The Russians are liars. They have broken every promise they made to Ukraine. And they will break any peace agreement in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9HJhcf3aI

Old 03-31-2022, 03:24 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
This is a war between US and Russia,Ukraine is just being used
Disagree. This is a war between Russia and Europe, with Russia using Europe’s dependency on Russian oil and gas as leverage and war funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies