Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 05:38 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times

Advertisements

Disabled Russian athletes, and cats, now cancelled. Take that, Putin.

In the age of social media, everybody everywhere thinks they have to be an activist, about everything, and find a way to virtue signal.

Quote:
Russian and Belarusian athletes to no longer compete at 2022 Winter Paralympics after multiple protests, IPC says

The IPC, however, said in a statement on Thursday that multiple National Paralympic committees (NPCs), teams and athletes were now threatening not to compete and that the situation in the athlete villages "is escalating [...] and ensuring the safety of athletes has become untenable."
"By no fault of its own the war has now come to these Games and behind the scenes many Governments are having an influence on our cherished event," Parsons said.
"In taking our decision yesterday we were looking at the long-term health and survival of the Paralympic Movement.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/03/s...ics/index.html

Quote:
Russian Cats Face Restrictions Due To Putin's Invasion Of Ukraine

Moscow: Federation Internationale Feline (FIFe), an international cat fancier society, has imposed restrictions on cats bred in Russia in response to Moscow's military operation in Ukraine.
The NGO, FIFe Executive Board, in a statement, said that it is "shocked and horrified" that the army of the "Russian Federation invaded the Republic of Ukraine and started a war."
---
FIFe, in a statement, said that the Board feels it cannot just witness these atrocities and do nothing, so it decided that as of March 1, "no cat bred in Russia may be imported and registered in any FIFe pedigree book outside Russia, regardless of, which organization issued its pedigree."

"No cat belonging to exhibitors living in Russia may be entered at any FIFe show outside Russia, regardless of, which organization these exhibitors hold their membership in," the statement added.
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/rest...kraine-2800290

local war + cancel culture = world war?

Quote:
The biggest danger we're facing is social media encouraging ever more rabid public and private sanctions on Russia, leading to WWIII. The scary part is that this is an emergent phenomenon - no one is in control.
https://twitter.com/DrClaytonForre1/...09495335120897
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 09:40 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Russian tennis players allowed to play, for now. Event in Moscow cancelled.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:44 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
There are already several threads about banning cats, musicians, athletes, FIFA, F1.

Maybe combine the threads?

Old 03-03-2022, 10:05 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
University in Milan bans teaching literature of Dostoevsky.

They want to ban dead Russian too.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Russian tennis players allowed to play, for now. Event in Moscow cancelled.
Nice how they make so many exceptions, I bet Putin is really shaking in his boots. LOL

Old 03-03-2022, 10:45 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Just more idiotic virtue signalling.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:49 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
This is the one place where there is hope.There is a bright future for paralympics in that part of the world.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:51 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Really? We're going to now hold cats responsible for Putin's actions?

I'm all for holding those responsible responsible. But have any of you seen an AK-47 toting cat? I haven't. Let me go check the back yard... hang on...

Nope, I don't see any cats with assault rifles. Although the one Russian cat does look a little suspicious. But when I asked Comrade Snuggles if she had installed any missile siloes in the corner of the back yard, by the rose bush, she wiggled her tail--two shakes for no. But can I trust a Russian cat?

In my state, vodka has been banned. Will someone with a sharp business mind replace it with "freedom vodka"? If you recall, the "freedom fries" went over so well some years ago.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:51 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Neither the IPC nor the FIFe have an army or an air force or missiles or anything else with which they can tangibly express their disapproval of what Russia has done. The only "weapon" they have is the ability to ban Russian competitors from their events. I certainly don't fault them for using the only means at their disposal to protest Russia's actions.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:55 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
Human nature at work. Suddenly the same people screaming about cancel culture have no problem cancelling Russians because their leader has imperialistic ambitions, despite the fact the US has had it's share of imperialistic nation building campaigns over the last 75 years.

I've come to see how easily people are manipulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies