Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 10:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am a Biden supporter but I'm mystified at his insistence that he only consider black women for key positions. Judge Brown is absolutely qualified. But others are as well. Other judges would be qualified, in Biden's mind, but they are not the right race or gender. (Merrick Garland, perhaps?) Reverse racism is still racism. But Biden is so blind he doesn't realize that. By explicitly admitting he's only considering black women as nominees, he's engaging in race and sex discrimination. Not only that, Biden is admitting that he himself is not qualified to be president since he's just a white guy.
I have to agree with this. It’s actually racist against her because it reduces the reason she was picked to her race and sex. Regardless of how well qualified she is people are automatically going to assume she only was chosen because she ticked the right boxes. By saying he was only going to choose a black woman, he did a disservice to her. He could have not said that and still picked her and she wouldn’t have this cloud over her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 10:21 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am a Biden supporter but I'm mystified at his insistence that he only consider black women for key positions. Judge Brown is absolutely qualified. But others are as well. Other judges would be qualified, in Biden's mind, but they are not the right race or gender. (Merrick Garland, perhaps?) Reverse racism is still racism. But Biden is so blind he doesn't realize that. By explicitly admitting he's only considering black women as nominees, he's engaging in race and sex discrimination. Not only that, Biden is admitting that he himself is not qualified to be president since he's just a white guy.
There are many judges who are qualified. We need diversity though. Remember when the court was all white men. Now that was race and sex discrimination. After two white men, I'm happy Trump vowed to nominate a female. Was this sex discrimination to you.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:25 PM

6,025 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
You can disagree with her on COVID-19 but she is well-qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice.
She MADE UP a "fact". That, alone, should be grounds for an impeachment from the Court. She has proven herself not trustworthy. What other judgements have been tainted by her use of "facts"?

Justices Kagan and Breyer weren't much better and were clearly ill-informed about the case they were overseeing, but at least they weren't making up "facts" as they went.

And, credentials do not tell me how well someone will perform a task given to them. Justice Sotomayor is proof of this.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:27 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I am pretty sure Supreme Court justices on both sides of the aisle make up their own "facts" all the time.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There are many judges who are qualified. We need diversity though. Remember when the court was all white men. Now that was race and sex discrimination. After two white men, I'm happy Trump vowed to nominate a female. Was this sex discrimination to you.
Being that blacks make up 13% of the U.S. population, having two black people on the Supreme Court means they are being overrepresented. If we are going for diversity only, President Biden should have chosen a Hispanic or Asian woman, who's races and genders are underrepresented.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I am pretty sure Supreme Court justices on both sides of the aisle make up their own "facts" all the time.
"Pretty sure" means you are not 100% certain what you said is true. Being that the media has a liberal-leaning bias to it, don't you think a Conservative justice making up "facts" would be widely reported?

And, please do not deflect and try to rope Conservative justices into the actions of Liberal justices, especially when you do not have proof of such things occurring.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
"Pretty sure" means you are not 100% certain what you said is true. Being that the media has a liberal-leaning bias to it, don't you think a Conservative justice making up "facts" would be widely reported?

And, please do not deflect and try to rope Conservative justices into the actions of Liberal justices, especially when you do not have proof of such things occurring.
It’s actually not the job of appellate courts including the Supreme Court to make factual findings. That’s the job of the lower courts. The Supreme Court strictly interprets laws. And of course, each justice is going to apply the law to the facts differently. But they aren’t allowed to make up their own “facts”.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’s actually not the job of appellate courts including the Supreme Court to make factual findings. That’s the job of the lower courts. The Supreme Court strictly interprets laws. And of course, each justice is going to apply the law to the facts differently. But they aren’t allowed to make up their own “facts”.
Yep! Especially when you use those facts to justify your judgement in a case.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:47 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’s actually not the job of appellate courts including the Supreme Court to make factual findings...
Except that we just had somebody give us an example of a Supreme Court justice making up facts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Credentials do not mean anything when you start making up facts that you use to determine the outcomes of cases.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/polit...uch/index.html

From CNN: "Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor made a significant false claim on Friday about Covid-19's impact on children."
What I was saying was, what Sotomayor did probably isn't the first time a Supreme Court justice did that. I am pretty sure you could find many times where a Supreme Court justice said that such-and-such would have an effect that it didn't really have.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:48 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
[quote=FordBronco1967;62974235]Being that blacks make up 13% of the U.S. population, having two black people on the Supreme Court means they are being overrepresented. If we are going for diversity only, President Biden should have chosen a Hispanic or Asian woman.[/QUOTE]

But he didn't. So what. Eisenhower wanted a Catholic because there were none at the time on the court. Reagan wanted an Italian American thus how we got Scalia. Presidents have always prioritized race, gender and ethnicity in choosing a nominee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies