Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 02:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
That's what they did to Merrick Garland, but this time Mitch is not in charge of the Senate, and there's no filibuster, so I don't see how they can drag it out.

I agree it's a long shot but things happen. Currently 1 Dem is on medical leave so they are a minority and the senate and the pubs are not going to come to the rescue. This would seem like a slam dunk but the Dems can F up a 1 car funeral. And Mitch will be in charge of the Senate on Nov 7, because that's when the Mitch rules come into play even through the new senate is not sworn in until Jan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 02:46 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
That's what they did to Merrick Garland, but this time Mitch is not in charge of the Senate, and there's no filibuster, so I don't see how they can drag it out.
Making up **** again I see.

Nothing was "dragged out". The nomination was never presented to the Senate or forwarded to the Judiciary Committee.

"Dragging out" implies filibustering and various procedural stratagems, none of which happened.

It amazes me how you guys are so hot, still, to have a nominee embarrassed by being voted down. All without having unverifiable accusations leveled over behavior that might have happened three decades earlier which no one remembers, including people the accuser says witnessed the behavior.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:01 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
I know absolutely nothing about Ketanji Brown Jackson except that she's a black woman. Most likely, Biden doesn't know any more about her than that, either. But that's all that mattered to him, so there we are. Is she liberal? Given that she was nominated by Biden, she certainly must be. Is she qualified? I don't know. Hopefully, that will come out in the confirmation process.

Sight unseen, I don't want her to be confirmed, because I'd bet the farm that she's a left-winger, and I don't want any more left-wingers on the court. But given who our nominal president is at this time, that's what we're stuck with. If she's even remotely qualified, she'll get some Republican support, if for no other reason because some of them quake in fear at being called racist, which is what they'll be called if they fail to confirm her. So unless she turns out to be a total flop, I think she'll be confirmed.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
It's funny how 108 out of 115 justices have been white guys, but all of a sudden, it's a problem if this nominee is being selected just because of her race and gender. She's got the right educational pedigree and experience along with bringing a different perspective to the bench from her years as a public defender and trial lawyer, which no other justice has. She got bipartisan support just a few weeks ago, but if the vote is split along party lines, then she's being rejected for reasons that have nothing to do with her qualifications.
Yeah real funny. And just think that there would have been far fewer "white guys" if people like Biden didn't reject previous nominees.

But let me guess, they deserved to be blocked because they were only being nominated because they were not a "white guy", but she shouldn't be blocked because she is qualified.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:34 AM

1,517 posts, read 541,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I know absolutely nothing about Ketanji Brown Jackson except that she's a black woman. Most likely, Biden doesn't know any more about her than that, either. But that's all that mattered to him, so there we are. Is she liberal? Given that she was nominated by Biden, she certainly must be. Is she qualified? I don't know. Hopefully, that will come out in the confirmation process.

Sight unseen, I don't want her to be confirmed, because I'd bet the farm that she's a left-winger, and I don't want any more left-wingers on the court. But given who our nominal president is at this time, that's what we're stuck with. If she's even remotely qualified, she'll get some Republican support, if for no other reason because some of them quake in fear at being called racist, which is what they'll be called if they fail to confirm her. So unless she turns out to be a total flop, I think she'll be confirmed.

Biden nominated her to DC appellate court 1 year ago, the DC appellate court is 1 level below the supreme court. Biden knows about her and the senate knows about he because she was confirmed with 53 votes. She was recently vetted, this is not a "site unseen" situation. Of course she's liberal and she's replacing a liberal justice so no net impact to the 6-3 conservative majority.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:02 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
Biden nominated her to DC appellate court 1 year ago, the DC appellate court is 1 level below the supreme court. Biden knows about her and the senate knows about he because she was confirmed with 53 votes. She was recently vetted, this is not a "site unseen" situation. Of course she's liberal and she's replacing a liberal justice so no net impact to the 6-3 conservative majority.
Kavanaugh had been "recently vetted," but that didn't stop the treasonous Democrats from manufacturing a laughable narrative about how he was running a teen rape ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies