Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 06:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 2,707,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When it has been proven that an employer "knowingly" had illegals working for them they are held accountable. The problem is that many of these illegals use fake or stolen documents to get hired and without e-verify in place an employer doesn't always know. Yes, many of them do know though but it has to be proven to hold them accountable.
And that just shows the issue even more. This "investigation" was done by a Federal Agency, and it not only was an investigation but also ruled that these people were underpaid.

Did they investigate the immigration status of these people? If the employer didn't know, then why weren't these people detained and deported? A US Citizen using a Fake ID ends up in jail for ID theft, an illegal alien using a Fake ID, if this is what happened, gets rewarded with a cash payout?

Sadly with this Administration and their support of Illegal Aliens, we really don't know if these people were here legally. Because even if they were, I doubt they would let that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 06:46 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,067,711 times
People should be paid a fair wage.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Assuming these employees are illegal is a huge stretch. They were the ones who reported their employer to the hotline.

And unlike, you, I have a LOT of empathy for service staff who are being cheated by their employer. My daughter was a victim of wage theft working for a Mexican restaurant (owned by white American citizens). Her paychecks bounced every week and her handwritten W2 said she had only earned $300 over an entire year. There are some very sketchy business owners out there, to be sure.
what did the IRS have to say about the complaint she filed?

Old 02-25-2022, 06:52 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
When it has been proven that an employer "knowingly" had illegals working for them they are held accountable. The problem is that many of these illegals use fake or stolen documents to get hired and without e-verify in place an employer doesn't always know. Yes, many of them do know though but it has to be proven to hold them accountable.
Depends on the state. I believe Arizona holds the businesses accountable. I remember businesses being shut down because they had too many illegals.

But generally you are expected to get the required documents from new hires and that goes off the the IRS. That is where it stops. As long as the ID and SS card appear to be ok that is all they have to do. If something is wrong you will get a letter from the feds.

We need national e-verify. There are still ways around that but it helps. A few years ago I heard first hand about a fast food chain that uses e-verify but has lots of illegals working there. If you pay some of the people cash off the books e-verify won't stop that.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:52 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
what did the IRS have to say about the complaint she filed?
The owners were in the wind by tax time. They were all meth addicts.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
The IRS is serious about their cut.
Cheat them and you will not be happy.

If employees are getting ripped off introducing their bully to the IRS is a good thing.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:00 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A waiter I knew asked me not to leave a tip. He said the owner confiscated all of them.
This as yeas ago, but one of the reasons my parents quit going to Denny’s where I grew up was because the manager confiscated the waitresses tips, I remember working as a waitress and customers asking me if I got to keep my tip, so they weren’t the only one.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:06 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
The problem is that many of these illegals use fake or stolen documents to get hired and without e-verify in place an employer doesn't always know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Sadly with this Administration and their support of Illegal Aliens, we really don't know if these people were here legally. Because even if they were, I doubt they would let that out.
Certain States have a don't help the Feds policy when it comes to illegals too. And forbid their own police from being able to ask such questions.

It's baffling why you'd willfully tie your own hands with this particular type of criminality.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:06 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I had some waitress, I believe it was a Thai place in NYC, chase me at the door as I was exiting.

She had the receipt tray in her hands like an 'offering' and meekly said I didn't leave a tip.

I paused, eyebrow raised,... and lifted up the paper receipt to reveal my 20% tip.

I turned to the camera and removed my sunglasses and said my catchphrase, " I always tip. Well."

ok, that last part I made up.
does she understand how tips can be added to your bill?
Or is the restaurant screwing her ?
I used to go to a hair salon and the owner asked us not to add tips to the bill if we are paying with our credit card.
which is sad,as customers may just skip the tips since they dont have much cash on hand

Old 02-25-2022, 08:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A waiter I knew asked me not to leave a tip. He said the owner confiscated all of them.
does she want you to hand over the tips to her?
Some restaurants may pool all the tips and share among all workers,front and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies