Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 04:50 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

"AMexican restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida, owes about $118,000 to several employees who were forced to work for tips alone or denied overtime wages, according to the U.S. Department of Labor".

"An investigation by the department’s Wage and Hour Division found that the restaurant's operator, E & E Quezada Food Services Corp., "failed to pay its servers any wages, forcing them to rely on customer tips as their sole compensation," the agency said in a news release Wednesday".

I suspect that these Mexican workers are here illegally so I don't really have any sympathy for them anyway. However, As the rumor goes by the left, I thought it was only white, conservative business owners that hire illegal aliens to increase their profits? The owner's surname and the fact that it's a Mexican restaurant doesn't sound like a white, conservative business owner to me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...AAA?li=BBnbfcL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 04:56 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
Assuming these employees are illegal is a huge stretch. They were the ones who reported their employer to the hotline.

And unlike, you, I have a LOT of empathy for service staff who are being cheated by their employer. My daughter was a victim of wage theft working for a Mexican restaurant (owned by white American citizens). Her paychecks bounced every week and her handwritten W2 said she had only earned $300 over an entire year. There are some very sketchy business owners out there, to be sure.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
A 50ish Chinese woman worked for a Chinese buffet restaurant for tips,she served a party which left no tips.
She chased them out of the restaurant ,shouting DOnt come back,Dont come back.
She was fired !

Old 02-25-2022, 05:05 PM

I suspect many small restaurants do not pay their waiters,they work for tips.
Buffet restaurants pay by station-lunch,dinner,you get $35 per station,plus tips.
so if you work lunch and dinner,you get $70 plus tips,buffet diners do not tip much though.
At Luby,the cashier always ask if you want some change to tip your waiter.
The beauty salon I go to also ask the same question.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:07 PM

I suspect that these Mexican workers are here illegally so I don't really have any sympathy for them anyway. However, As the rumor goes by the left, I thought it was only white, conservative business owners that hire illegal aliens to increase their profits? The owner's surname and the fact that it's a Mexican restaurant doesn't sound like a white, conservative business owner to me.
-----------
people always exploit their own kind,it is easier .

Old 02-25-2022, 05:08 PM

6,635 posts, read 2,951,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
A 50ish Chinese woman worked for a Chinese buffet restaurant for tips,she served a party which left no tips.
She chased them out of the restaurant ,shouting DOnt come back,Dont come back.
She was fired !
I had some waitress, I believe it was a Thai place in NYC, chase me at the door as I was exiting.

She had the receipt tray in her hands like an 'offering' and meekly said I didn't leave a tip.

I paused, eyebrow raised,... and lifted up the paper receipt to reveal my 20% tip.

I turned to the camera and removed my sunglasses and said my catchphrase, " I always tip. Well."

ok, that last part I made up.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:21 PM

6,359 posts, read 2,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"AMexican restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida, owes about $118,000 to several employees who were forced to work for tips alone or denied overtime wages, according to the U.S. Department of Labor".

"An investigation by the department’s Wage and Hour Division found that the restaurant's operator, E & E Quezada Food Services Corp., "failed to pay its servers any wages, forcing them to rely on customer tips as their sole compensation," the agency said in a news release Wednesday".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...AAA?li=BBnbfcL
That is a thought that is no doubt running through a lot of people's minds. But if that is the case where is the news report on the owner getting arrested or fined? Even the fact that the Employer underpaid these people would usually end up in some sort of massive fine.

Yet nothing on any penalties the employer is facing.

If there are no penalties or consequences, what would keep him from doing the same thing again?

Old 02-25-2022, 05:30 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
A waiter I knew asked me not to leave a tip. He said the owner confiscated all of them.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
That is a thought that is no doubt running through a lot of people's minds. But if that is the case where is the news report on the owner getting arrested or fined? Even the fact that the Employer underpaid these people would usually end up in some sort of massive fine.

Yet nothing on any penalties the employer is facing.

If there are no penalties or consequences, what would keep him from doing the same thing again?
When it has been proven that an employer "knowingly" had illegals working for them they are held accountable. The problem is that many of these illegals use fake or stolen documents to get hired and without e-verify in place an employer doesn't always know. Yes, many of them do know though but it has to be proven to hold them accountable.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Assuming these employees are illegal is a huge stretch. They were the ones who reported their employer to the hotline.

And unlike, you, I have a LOT of empathy for service staff who are being cheated by their employer. My daughter was a victim of wage theft working for a Mexican restaurant (owned by white American citizens). Her paychecks bounced every week and her handwritten W2 said she had only earned $300 over an entire year. There are some very sketchy business owners out there, to be sure.
Illegals have no fear of being caught and incarcerated. Our immigration enforcement is quite lax thanks to the leftists in our government.

I have no empathy for service staff here illegally. They made the choice to come here illegally and allowed themselves to be exploited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies