Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 08:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizap View Post
ok, now i understand. Everyone is afraid of russia and it’s capabilities.
hello, yes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 08:35 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We don't have to. The Ukrainians are handling it. I believe Putin will stand down soon, and accept some kind of compromise.
I hope you’re right, but I doubt it will happen. Ukraine is far outclassed militarily by Russia.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:35 PM

6,339 posts, read 2,889,808 times
A lot of people have considered Ukraine to be a part of Russia.

Quote:
In 1775, the Zaporizhian Sich was razed to the ground by Russian forces, and the Cossacks’ institutions of self-governance were liquidated. Following the final Partitions of Poland in the 1790s, the Russian Empire absorbed the remainder of modern-day Ukraine (apart from its extreme west, which was annexed by Austria).

The territories of Ukraine remained a part of the Russian state for the next 120 years.
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lseih/2020/0...inian-history/

Is California part of the US? It was part of Mexico until 1848. If they broke away would other countries get involved or would they consider it a civil war?

Old 02-25-2022, 08:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I hope you’re right, but I doubt it will happen. Ukraine is far outclassed militarily by Russia.
Russia is already apparently backing down, and the Ukraine is in "talks" with Russia. Putin had no idea the incredible brass of the Ukraine men.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:38 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
I think history will show that it was a mistake for others not to step in and help militarily. .
The few left in bunkers will be able to write the history for the few radiated still alive on the surface to read.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:39 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Why doesn’t the U.S. and other countries, such as those in Europe, step in and fight alongside the Ukrainians to stop Russia? It is clear the sanctions being imposed are going to do nothing to stop Russia from taking over Ukraine and likely killing its president and other political leaders?
Because it’s too early to tell what Putin will do and what his long term strategy is. If a NATO country invaded Ukraine it could cause Russia to declare war on that country, and then it becomes a world war. It’s simply not worth the risk at this time.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:40 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeHardHarryReturns View Post
Russia and the US would be ended, along with various other nations. The rest of the world would be left to deal with the devastation for decades.

Watch the movie 'Threads'.
Other European nations have a chance of being taken over by Russia. They should be very concerned. Why should Putin stop? - it’s pretty clear no other country is going to step in. I’m not even certain a NATO country would step in if he invaded another NATO country.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:43 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We don't have to. The Ukrainians are handling it. I believe Putin will stand down soon, and accept some kind of compromise.
Putin can't afford to loose, the more desperate he gets the more danger he uses devastating weapons that causes mass civilian deaths, if he does that might push NATO to have to respond in force when whole cities are destroyed by Putin. If NATO starts shooting, not far fetched that nukes start being used after.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:45 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
OK, now I understand. Everyone is afraid of Russia and it’s capabilities.
He has threatened several countries with an attack worse than we've ever seen in history. His words.

Why do you want to **** around and find out what he meant?

Sometimes, even though you know you might be able to take down a viscous animal, the mauling of you and everybody around you isn't worth it!

This is not our fight.

IF he attacks a NATO country, we can re-address, but until then, stay out of it!

Old 02-25-2022, 08:47 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
First off since Ukraines not in NATO, there is no contractual obligation on any other country to defend it.
And Putin is looking at our knucklehead smith leadership, woke military, weak dollar and the fact that we buy most of our stuff from its ally China and figuring we will sit on our hands. Add to that, much of the EU is dependent on its gas exports so why would they get involved unless they want to slit their own throats?
Putin saw the opportunity and seized it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies