Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Housing Bubble 2.0 in progress?
Yes 132 72.53%
No 50 27.47%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 07:56 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My parents were depression era kids. Both came from families that lost their homes due to foreclosure. Both were ownership adverse their entire adult lives. We moved nearly every single year due to rent increases. At the end of their days, they had shoe boxes with cancelled rent checks and receipts. Each could have had a paid off home

They lived their life as they saw fit to do. It often seemed as though they rooted for another Great Depression to validate their fears.
Yep, people love to validate their fears. That's what we are seeing in this thread. Those that wish for the bubble to pop are those that have mentally blocked themselves from buying a home all their lives. They are always waiting for some element of financial ruin in the market. They will use this excuse to blame everything except themselves as to why they can't own a home. It's a self defeating mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 12:02 PM

10,481 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Yep, people love to validate their fears. That's what we are seeing in this thread. Those that wish for the bubble to pop are those that have mentally blocked themselves from buying a home all their lives. They are always waiting for some element of financial ruin in the market. They will use this excuse to blame everything except themselves as to why they can't own a home. It's a self defeating mindset.
I know people like this. House prices historically appreciate 4.65% a year, there might be a once in 50 year depression, however its not likely to happen anytime soon.

Old 03-02-2022, 12:22 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Maybe because it is not a good thing to go into debt slavery for homes costing $1 million+ dollars that only cost that much due to out-of-control money printing, negative interest rates, immigration, etc.?

Old 03-02-2022, 01:03 PM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Quote:
The cyclical nature of markets suggests a crash is always inevitable, wouldn't it be prudent to wait for that crash if you wanted the best bang for your buck? Perhaps people don't want to pay $400,00 for a 2/1 house in Florida? Is it a self-defeating mindset or is it a realistic mindset? Why put yourself in more debt now, when you could pay half in a few years time?

Old 03-02-2022, 01:10 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
In this part of New England there are very few jobs, and home prices are low. Every week Zillow sends me home prices, so every week I am seeing 2bdrm homes asking $40k to $60k.

Sure some of them are dumps. Did you really think you were getting a mansion for $40k?

Old 03-02-2022, 01:39 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In this part of New England there are very few jobs, and home prices are low. Every week Zillow sends me home prices, so every week I am seeing 2bdrm homes asking $40k to $60k.

Sure some of them are dumps. Did you really think you were getting a mansion for $40k?
House prices rise very quickly once you get south of Bangor, especially the last few years. North of Bangor remains economically depressed with far less outside money influencing local real estate markets.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:43 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I know people like this. House prices historically appreciate 4.65% a year, there might be a once in 50 year depression, however its not likely to happen anytime soon.

The average and median sale prices increased 41.4% and 38.2% (respectively) in my county from Dec/2020 to Dec/2021, and the related figures are already quite out of date two months into 2022.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:46 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
House prices rise very quickly once you get south of Bangor, especially the last few years. North of Bangor remains economically depressed with far less outside money influencing local real estate markets.
My Zillow searches only monitor homes in Penobscot County [Bangor's county].

Before I retired, whenever I sent out resumes job offers I saw were always offering higher wages in High COL cities, and lower wages in low COL areas.

It makes sense to me that any area with few jobs and low COL will likewise have lower priced homes.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:12 PM

368 posts, read 213,991 times
Yes, but relative to the stock bubble? No way. Real estate is up about 3-5x over the last 35 years depending on the location / intensity of the bubble. Stocks are up 17x. To be remotely aligned with every other aspect of the economy, the Dow should be around 7,000-12,000 right now.

I get it, people are holding stocks as an inflation hedge because unlike fiat money it's a finite asset. They're unlikely to suffer much in nominal-price terms, but in real/inflation-adjusted terms are likely to take a big hit over time.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
We decided to put an offer in on a house after 15 years of renting. We are using VA on a new construction , 400k home. Our payments will be 500 dollar more a month than what we pay now in rent which we can easily afford. Our interest rate is 3.2%. We decided to buy now while rates are still low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies