Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 07:29 AM

37,953 posts, read 17,893,612 times

Advertisements

Reasons matter except to the sheeple

America is nation building through NATO Get out of NATO and follow the Constitution for our foreign policy.

"I fully support the right of the people of Ukraine to self determination. However there are many reasons I could not vote for the seven page Resolution that passed the House of Representatives today.

The resolution contains an open ended call for additional and immediate “defensive security assistance.” This term is so broad that it could include American boots on the ground or, as some of my colleagues have already requested, US enforcement of a no-fly zone.

It expands the geographic scope of the US commitment to the conflict in Ukraine by condemning the country of Belarus. We should not be seeking to name new enemies or committing to overturning other governments.

It calls for “fully isolating” Russia economically. This would hurt low-income US citizens who are already reeling from inflation. Innocent people in Russia, many of whom oppose Putin’s aggression, would suffer under crippling sanctions, possibly turning them against us.

Crippling sanctions could also drive Putin to become more desperate, inciting him to resort to drastic measures such as escalating the weapons employed or the people targeted.

The resolution contains a gratuitous statement that Ukraine and NATO will determine the relationship between the two of them. Of course this is true, but why should Congress assert this now when the goal is to de-escalate the conflict?

It calls for continuing support “as long as the Russian Federation continues to violate Ukraine’s sovereignty.” Depending on the definition of “violate,” this could be a US commitment to forever be actively engaged in a conflict with another nuclear country."

THAT is Tea Party ground zero. He isn't a war mongering fraud like Michelle Bachmann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 07:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,653 posts, read 18,015,765 times
Did you forget to include a link?

Old 03-04-2022, 07:41 AM

1,711 posts, read 810,586 times
I believe Japan attacked us for 3 reasons

Need of more natural resources

Economic embargo

Their desire to expand and to keep us out

Ukraine has rich natural gas deposits
We are putting in economic sanctions against Russia
Russia wants to expand their empire, especially to create a buffer from NATO

Something to consider

Old 03-04-2022, 07:41 AM

19,068 posts, read 27,648,953 times
Yep. Normal, cold, logical business calculation. We need to take care of ourselves, for once, instead of being life support for half the world.
Just wait, until internal crisis develops to the point of being able to have any food, not 26 varieties of latte. Then, suddenly, everyone will realize that, what I can find to eat today, is much more important than someone's problems 10 000 miles away.
And that's a word from one, who's been through this and does not wish it to anyone.

Take care of your own country.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:42 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
whether you agree with him or not, it's refreshing to see someone that actually read the resolution.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ne/9350983002/

Old 03-04-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Did you forget to include a link?
lol What for? I just posted what he said

Old 03-04-2022, 08:13 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,226,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

Crippling sanctions could also drive Putin to become more desperate, inciting him to resort to drastic measures such as escalating the weapons employed or the people targeted.
Because it's done wonders to solve the Cuba and Iran problem, right?

And while China continues to build an alliance with Russia, it will be nice to have other civilized countries (i.e. NATO) on our side. The whole purpose of Putin and Xi's February meeting was to discuss what to do with America.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Because it's done wonders to solve the Cuba and Iran problem, right?
Explain why it's Americas problem. I'll be waiting. Don't forget to mention the overthrow attempt in the Bay of Pigs and the actual overthrow of the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh of Iran in favor of a US puppet, the Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. You don't think nation building had anything to do with it do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
And while China continues to build an alliance with Russia, it will be nice to have other civilized countries (i.e. NATO) on our side. The whole purpose of Putin and Xi's February meeting was to discuss what to do with America.
And? So?

One of the good things Reagan did was have an open dialogue with Russia. One of the good things about Obama was mentioning having a relationship with Cuba

Old 03-04-2022, 08:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,226,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Explain why it's Americas problem. I'll be waiting. Don't forget to mention the overthrow attempt in the Bay of Pigs and the actual overthrow of the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh of Iran in favor of a US puppet, the Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. You don't think nation building had anything to do with it do you?
I didn't say it was America's problem. Your contention is that all we need to do is impose sanctions and the problem is solved.

I simply said, where have sanctions worked?

I want peace as much as the next person, the problem is in the real world there are countries who don't act and behave likewise. I'm sure there would have been quite the outrage if, after 9/11, everyone else sat back and said "well that's your problem. You need to self soothe." The alliance between Russia and China does have the potential to affect the entire world. Both countries have political philosophies that are at extreme odds with the values we, and to a larger extent Europe, hold dear.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:49 AM

25,839 posts, read 12,881,113 times
PAUL-MASSIE 2024

Guess who the only 2 people are in Congress out of 535 who have voted against all this deficit spending that has caused our current inflation, and resulted in our massive national debt?

Rand Paul and Thomas Massie...that is it 2 out of 535.

These guys read the bills, & use common sense in governing. They need to be running the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies