Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 10:11 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Some people seem to be forgetting MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). Russia's nuclear arsenals might not be as advanced as the USA, but they can still destroy us because we can not destroy all their nukes in a first strike. And our missile defense system can only intercept a small percentage of incoming missiles.
I would reverse that and say only a small percent would get through...

We have many layers of missile shields...most not public...but of the publicly acknowledged defenses, we have layers of defense. There are detection and defenses surrounding Russia in the Pacific ans throughout Europe then again in Canada and the Arctic and the oceans. They only have what they have on their land. We have chemical laser planes coupled with AWACS and satellites that can detect and destroy missiles being launched in their own country...they do not have that same capability. Then we have space based assets and subs that can take out their satellites and most likely the rods of god raining down on them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 10:15 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Russian submarines use a new tactic.
They leave a container with a nuclear torpedo somewhere on a sea floor. It can stay there for years. If a signal to cancel the mission doesn't come, it swims slowly to a programmed location near the enemy's shore and detonates a nuclear bomb creating a 0.5-mile-high tsunami.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status...purpose_System
I am not worried about what they have or what China has. The nuclear triad ensures that we can strike back.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, this is what an advanced case of TDS looks like. We have four years of incontrovertible proof that Trump, as president, did NOT start any wars, nuclear or otherwise. In fact, during his watch, normalizations of relations between Israel and various Middle Eastern countries were beginning to take hold. Now, under one year of Biden, we have Russia invading Ukraine, North Korea launching more rockets, and China threatening Taiwan.

I'll take Donald "Stupid Moron" Trump over Joe "The Adults Are Back in Charge" Biden any day. And I'll bet the Ukrainians feel the same way.
Trump may not have started wars, but the doomsday clock did tick closer under his watch. He also allowed more destabilization through his pull-out strategy and weak foreign policy in regards to Russia and North Korea. I am still yet to hear hard evidence he was actually tough on Russia and North Korea since under Trump's presidency, the North Korean nuclear program restarted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Liberals are unable to process facts. Your post was 100% factual.

Putin knows he has nothing to fear from Sleepy Joe.
I don't think he had anything to fear from Trump because Trump owes so much to Russian ogliarchs. The problem was Russia had political will to do this under Trump like they did Biden. I still contest that this would have happened if Trump was still president, like many of the issues attributed to "Sleepy Joe." Besides being fully partisan, why do we let Trump get off scot-free for stuff he caused by his own ineptitude?

Old 02-27-2022, 10:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Some people seem to be forgetting MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). Russia's nuclear arsenals might not be as advanced as the USA, but they can still destroy us because we can not destroy all their nukes in a first strike. And our missile defense system can only intercept a small percentage of incoming missiles.
Russia may destroy America, but you really think our allies will stand by and watch us burn? I mean maybe under Trump who pissed off many foreign leaders we've long been allies of (Germany for instance). There is no winner in a nuclear war. Replace US bombing China in this video with Russia bombing America, and you'll see the issue here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE

Old 02-27-2022, 10:26 PM

2,035 posts, read 852,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post

We have many layers of missile shields...most not public...but of the publicly acknowledged defenses, we have layers of defense. There are detection and defenses surrounding Russia in the Pacific ans throughout Europe then again in Canada and the Arctic and the oceans. They only have what they have on their land. We have chemical laser planes coupled with AWACS and satellites that can detect and destroy missiles being launched in their own country...they do not have that same capability. Then we have space based assets and subs that can take out their satellites and most likely the rods of god raining down on them...
Yes indeed, there’s been several times that militaries throughout the world have reported that the capacity to launch a nuclear missile was taken over by an unknown entity. The inability to lunch should it Have become necessary. It’s my firm belief that we have moved on past nuclear weapons. This is why Clinton allow the Chinese to buy a long range tactical guidance missile technology systems from us. Let them spend their time and resources developing something that we’ve already moved well past. I don’t think the average person has any grasp on the technology that’s out there these days. I don’t believe Putin’s missiles will ever be launched. I believe they will rot in their silos where they belong.

And if he were able to actually launch these missiles I believe someone or several people higher up in the Russian military would probably come to their senses. Putin‘s ego, and that’s exactly what this is about, it’s not worth killing billions of people worldwide and essentially destroying this planet. He’s a psychopath. And I used to think the guy was all right. Didn’t agree with them but I used to think he was a decent dude. I no longer think that. I think he’s a mad man. And I hope someone In the Russian military takes him out before it’s too late.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:28 PM

17,987 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I know these are powerful weapons, but just how destructive are they? If Putin were to hit California, how much area would be destroyed from one hit?
Not gonna happen, especially now that the madman has pounded himself squarely in his own crotch.

Go watch a movie called A Boy and His Dog if you like romance and patriotism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Please, just stop.

Let's just say that they are more dangerous than the worst misapplication of a pronoun that you have ever seen.

I would dare to say that the effects of thermo-nuclear war are even worse than being called a "racist".

Those revelations should rock the world of most liberals and put things in proper perspective.
It may end racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post

Interesting.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:29 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,488 times
Amazing the mental gymnastics libs will have us do to in someway believe Trump is responsible for everything. Their minds are like bizaroworld — might spend the remainder of their lives recovering from how Trumpism is breaking their minds.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Amazing the mental gymnastics libs will have us do to in someway believe Trump is responsible for everything. Their minds are like bizaroworld — might spend the remainder of their lives recovering from how Trumpism is breaking their minds.
Yeah I am sick and tired of folks injecting partisan tirades in totally unrelated subjects.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:34 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's always been the principle of MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction. But that presumes that the leader with the authority to launch nukes is concerned with the survival of his country. Mental illness can completely change how one thinks and what they value. The real question is what checks and balances exist within the Russian system, and would that system carry out launch orders?

Why do we each have thousands of nukes when a few dozen each would be enough to destroy each other's country as a functioning nation? The answer is - to ensure that no one deludes themselves into thinking that a nuclear war is winnable with a massive first strike. If you think you can wipe out your enemy with a massive first strike then you might be tempted to do that and be done with the threat once and for all. And if you think your enemy could wipe you out with a massive first strike then you might be in a position where you have to anticipate an imminent lauch and launch first. What scares Putin by NATO being in former Soviet countries is that our missiles there could reach and annihilate most targets in Russia before Russia could even relay a counter-attack order.
MAD has never actually been US policy. The official policy is "Enduring Deterrence," which is the concept that multiple tiers of US nuclear forces would survive the first wave and be prepared to launch succeeding waves.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:35 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I know these are powerful weapons, but just how destructive are they? If Putin were to hit California, how much area would be destroyed from one hit?
My friend worked in the defense industry for over 40 years. The missile that targets the Twin Cities metro area would level all buildings inside the 494/694 loop for an example..just one bomb. Outside that loop all wooden structures would burn for a couple more miles and of course the radiation would be devastating. That’s the only example I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies